The Spicery

Man of Honour
Anyone else found this place? Basically they send you the spices needed and recipe each month, several different categories to choose from. I went world kitchen - Discovery.
Loving the idea, my first pack just arrived. Little expensive, but the amount if slices that I don't have would cost a lot for what would probably be one time use(this month has Tonka beans, liquorice, cassia chips for example which I don't have) , but seems a great way to explore new dishes.
This month got
Créole Palau with Hot Sauce and Chopped green salsa.
&
Trinidadian Punch De Crème Custards with bitters syrups.

Both sound amazing but the pud more so.

Anyway if anyone interested
fm5kev.jpg

http://www.thespicery.com/pages/spiceboxes/worldkitchen.html
Works out about £6.70 a month for one 4 person meal (they just supply the spices)

Will have to get a ring folder, so I can store the recipes and make notes.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
i've bought it for people in the past, and had one invite round to sample the results - all in all its been met with a very positive response as a gift however i'm not sure I'd shell out on it myself although the 3 course indian meal I tried was very impressive :)

Soldato
Extortionate.

£6.70 for the spices that go into one meal?

Last time I spent near that on spices I came out with a carrier bag full of proper indian spices. Just google the recipes and make them.

Jesus christ, £6.70, next you'll be paying £50 for them to slice the chicken and post it to you.

Man of Honour
OP
Good luck Tonka beans on there own are like £5 for 20g (if you can even find them locally) and 1g of saffron is usually over £2 and double that from supermarkets, and then what do you do with the rest of them, sit in the draw for 6 years till you have a clean out?
It is expensive, but not as bad as you make out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good luck Tonka beans on there own are like £5 for 20g (if you can even find them locally) and 1g of saffron is usually over £2 and double that from supermarkets.
You're going to the wrong places for spices then, stop shopping in the lovely areas and go to the ****** part of town predominantly occupied by immigrants. Best place to get spices - cheap and good quality. They're tight knit communities so the markets are self regulating.

and then what do you do with the rest of them, sit in the draw for 6 years till you have a clean out?
It is expensive, but not as bad as you make out
No, I use the ingredients again in other recipes and possibly the recipe I initially purchased them for.

Why would they sit in the drawer? I cook dinner damn near every day.

Jesus, £5.70... I'd expect at least 7-8 50g+ bags of different spices for that.

Man of Honour
OP
Oh god, listen to yourself, some spices are hard to get and expensive, regardless of where you go.

Good luck getting 5x50g bags for £6 of Tonka beans, saffron, vanilla or many other spices.
You obviously only ever buy ginger and the like.
We can all get standard spices for cheap sub £1 for 100g.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like the idea, Would be interested to see some pics/results from your go with it though.
As well as what you are actually getting.
Living in N. London with a smallish market on my doorstep twice a week and working in borough means I have pretty good local access to spices if i choose, so might check out the difference in prices.

Soldato
Good luck getting 5x50g bags for £6 of Tonka beans, saffron, vanilla or many other spices.
You obviously only ever buy ginger and the like.
We can all get standard spices for cheap sub £1 for 100g.

Actually I have all of those in my store cupboard. I keep a good supply of whole and ground spices as any self respecting chef would.

Maybe if you only ever shop in supermarkets you would struggle to find these spices at a good price. English folk don't eat much exotic food, you've gotta go where all the immigrants live to get good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom