The state of technology in 10 years time?

Associate
Title is self explanatory but I would like to know what peoples opinions on technology realisticly will be like in 10 years?

Do you think computers will be to the point were there is no more desktop/customization?

I look at it like there is only so much a screen can look like real life until it pretty much is in terms of graphic capability.

Last edited:
Associate
Moore's Law suggest that computers will be ~32 times more powerful.

Desktop systems have persisted long past the moment of their supposed obsolescence- the niche market of desktop gamers will not die for many years, and that will keep desktop systems alive for many years to come.

I can see portable systems (laptops, phones and tablets) evolving significantly, though.

Soldato
I believe we'll see more APUs and the use of nanotechnology with carbon instead of silicon.

I can also imagine more powerful smartphones... imagine a 590/6990 packed into a tiny 1mW chip...

Soldato
Battery technology will have improved massively with the move on to capacitor like solutions. This will allow for far better electric vehicles, and truly powerful mobile devices.

Internet speeds and reliability will reach a point where the average user can have all of their computer needs streamed from massive data centres.

and then something cool that we can't predict

Soldato
Not sure tbh, it seems more and more stuff is moving into the CPU, so i wouldn't be surprised at some point if RAM moved into the processor as well. SSD space? probably not given the limit of transistor sizes. But maybe 4-8Gb on cpu would be cool, or enough space for an OS. Then in theory the machine should load up in a couple of seconds.

The bios' of today will be gone, that's for sure, and a good thing.

64 core processors maybe?

Associate
Everything being touch or voice activation, smaller, lighter, longer lasting, semi inteligent, new materials that are more advanced and better than carbon or titanium and AMD to of bought out Intel

Far more likely that intel would buy amd, seeing that it currently earns 6.7 times the revenue. This would not likely be allowed by regulators however.

Associate
Windows 10. DirectX 14. Ubuntu 21.04 :) SSDs will be main stream for OS and apps, mechinical drives still around for storage.

Moore's Law is about how many transistors are on a chip - the performance increase is just a nice side effect. The limit of how far light or electrons can travel in 4 billionths (4GHz) of a second has been around for about 5 years (that's why we have n-cores).

Many more cores, maybe games will use more than 2 in 10 years time ;)

40" OLED 120Hz 0.001ms input lag insane res..

Last edited:
Associate
UK to have proper boradband speeds and prices like some other countrys which are poorer than us yet have far better internet.

He wanted to get "realistic" not "in your wildest dreams" estimates ;)

Back on topic:

- proper holographic 3D (none of that stereoscopic nonsense)
- 3D transistor stacking
- solid state being the standard storage method
- mainstream use of voice activation/control

For gamers none of that will matter, because in 10 years' time we will exclusively be playing ports from consoles that are roughly as powerful as today's high-end gaming pcs... (Joking. Hopefully :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom