• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Strong Lifts 5 by 5 Thread

Associate
Bicep monkey :D:eek::mad::confused::D:cool::p:eek::(

Good job on the progress though mate :)

Curls for the gurls, y0!

On a serious note I was slightly worried my arms would whither away as I haven't worked them directly since December, even when I did work them it wasn't much as I'd hammered them with back. I performed Chin & Pull Ups after my deadlifts during SL5x5 which may have helped as while they don't feel much bigger I don't think they have gotten smaller. Proves you don't need to bother with isolation to maintain. I'll certainly be happy to say goodbye to squatting three times a week though!

Associate
Hey - oddly enough i started this 5 weeks ago...

Just done Workout B last night

Squats 155KGx5 for 5 sets (raw)
Deadlift 200x5 (raw)
standing military 60kgx5 for 5 sets raw.

Last workout A was

Squats 147.5x5x5
Benchpress 120x5x5
Row 105x5x5

Decided to jump up on the weight instead of 2.5kg a week - think started a little low on squats...

Targets for June are

170x5x squats Raw
220 x5 deads
140x5x5 bench
140x5x5 row
90x5x5 mill press

Start of June will go for Max effort 1RPM, then have 7 days in cyprus ;) good times!

1 RPM Target June =

Squat 240+ (Wraps & Belt)
Bench 155+
Dead 250+ (belt)

This is all at 89-91 KG BW

Associate
That's some incredible weight, especially at that bodyweight too!

Fair play!

Cheers man - been training about 8 years - got into in properly 3 years ago and had some SM guys take notice and trained with them for 18months... One appeared on 2011 UK's strongest man like - so had some good lessons on lifting with them! They lift Crazy i mean Crazy weights! 340+ deads 300+ squats.... although they are all well over 20 stone!

Soldato
Cheers man - been training about 8 years - got into in properly 3 years ago and had some SM guys take notice and trained with them for 18months... One appeared on 2011 UK's strongest man like - so had some good lessons on lifting with them! They lift Crazy i mean Crazy weights! 340+ deads 300+ squats.... although they are all well over 20 stone!

That's incredible. You lucky sod, but absolutely no doubt your hard work besdies those circumstances is what has got you to where you are now.

keep it up!!

Soldato
I skim read Jack's information there and saw 5 weeks and 150kg squat and was like:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Had to re-read it and it made sense!:p

On the plus side - started 6 weeks ago myself and down 7lbs in weight to my lowest for about 10 years! happy days.

Going to up it tomorrow to 5 x 5 instead of the 3 x 5's i was doing!

Associate
I'm on my 13th session which has me doing 90kg squat, 75 BP, 75 row, 52.5 OHP and 125 DL.

Hoping to get to at least 130X5 before I stall on squat and probably push my 1RM on bench up from 90 to 100. Doubt I'll add much to my DL (current max is 185). BW 70kg.

Soldato
offttt!!!

Moving from 3 x 5 to 5 x 5 today and that was hard work!!

Managed to stay on track weight wise but the 4th and 5th sets were hard hard work

Anyway

5 x 5 @ 55kg squat
5 x 5 @ 37.5kg bench
5 x 5 @ 47.5kg bendover row (last set was a bit ropey form wise as it was a struggle)

Pleased that I can see improvements/changes body wise in terms of shape and definition after 6 weeks. Nothing major but every little bit helps!

Soldato
Is that weight progression the default or did you have previous 5RM's? The row is unusually high I would say? My row on Monday was 50kg whilst my squat was 85kg.

it's as per the worksheet (progression from the default) - no previous at all.

Basically it's the end of week 5 workout that i've just done - a couple of season behind due to end of tax year work load.

NOT looking forward to 37.5kg overhead press on monday!:(

Man of Honour
Curls for the gurls, y0!

On a serious note I was slightly worried my arms would whither away as I haven't worked them directly since December, even when I did work them it wasn't much as I'd hammered them with back. I performed Chin & Pull Ups after my deadlifts during SL5x5 which may have helped as while they don't feel much bigger I don't think they have gotten smaller. Proves you don't need to bother with isolation to maintain. I'll certainly be happy to say goodbye to squatting three times a week though!

Heavy weighted chins/pull ups will hit the arms enough, especially if you vary grip. BORs and most pulling work involved bicep activation, no matter how isolated you try to be.

Soldato
Heavy weighted chins/pull ups will hit the arms enough, especially if you vary grip. BORs and most pulling work involved bicep activation, no matter how isolated you try to be.

Weighted Chin-up's and Wide Parallel-Grip Pull-up both have a higher mean AND peak bicep contraction than either BB or EZ Bar curlz. It should really be called 'chinz for gurlz', umad bicep monkeys?

Sauce: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...de_the_muscles_best_back_and_biceps_exercises

Soldato
I've just started introducing weighted pull ups too, only an extra 7.5kg though, so still a baby :D. Going to alternate between chin ups too, although I know I wont be able to lift that much in terms of extra weight.

Associate
I'm about to start this program, what are people's opinions so far?

I have been doing 3x6 for a while now, with 2 warm up sets.
My bench is 105kg, Deads 160 for 6, 180 for 3, squat (I regularly fail to do it - an area I'm weak in) is 100kg for 6, just slightly below parallel.

I have had 5 weeks off due to a works accident, so I'm going to go for this for 12 weeks and see what happens.

What guys are you doing regarding weights? I read people go up pet set, others stick at one weight?
I was thinking about doing this:

Day 1:
Squats 5x5 same weight
Bench press 5x5 same weight
Bent over rows 5x5 same weight
chin up 4x max

Day 2:
military press 5x5 same weight
deadlift 5x5 same weight
High pulls 5x5 same weight
weighted dips 4x max

Day 3:
squats 5x5 but i start light and add more weight every set and the last set is my 5 rep max

Bench press...same as squat

Clean/press same as squat

chin ups 3x max

dips 3 sets max.

What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom