• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Strong Lifts 5 by 5 Thread

Caporegime
I've just started introducing weighted pull ups too, only an extra 7.5kg though, so still a baby :D. Going to alternate between chin ups too, although I know I wont be able to lift that much in terms of extra weight.

Wide grip?

I need to start adding weight even if I'm only doing two or three reps.

I started doing normal chin ups with weight, bi's getting massive yo :p

Soldato
Just re-starting my SL 5x5 - did it for about 12 weeks last year (from total novice) & got to

60kg Bench Press (5x5)
75kg Squat (5x5)
50kg Over head press (5x5)
100kg Dead lift (1x5)
80kg Bar bell row (5x5)

No idea what my 1 rep max's are - as I do them at home & don't have a spotter.

This time round I've started everything at 20kg and but 5kg per session until I get up-to what I was at before (then back to the normal progression).

Also doing a mile sprint on my off days - working well so far, but unsure if it's a bit much on the legs with all the running/squats.

Man of Honour
I'm about to start this program, what are people's opinions so far?

I have been doing 3x6 for a while now, with 2 warm up sets.
My bench is 105kg, Deads 160 for 6, 180 for 3, squat (I regularly fail to do it - an area I'm weak in) is 100kg for 6, just slightly below parallel.

I have had 5 weeks off due to a works accident, so I'm going to go for this for 12 weeks and see what happens.

What guys are you doing regarding weights? I read people go up pet set, others stick at one weight?
I was thinking about doing this:

Day 1:
Squats 5x5 same weight
Bench press 5x5 same weight
Bent over rows 5x5 same weight
chin up 4x max

Day 2:
military press 5x5 same weight
deadlift 5x5 same weight
High pulls 5x5 same weight
weighted dips 4x max

Day 3:
squats 5x5 but i start light and add more weight every set and the last set is my 5 rep max

Bench press...same as squat

Clean/press same as squat

chin ups 3x max

dips 3 sets max.

What do you guys think?
Stronglifts 5x5 is a specific workout involving a 5x5 setxrep scheme. What you're proposing isn't Stronglifts.

What are your goals?
Just re-starting my SL 5x5 - did it for about 12 weeks last year (from total novice) & got to

60kg Bench Press (5x5)
75kg Squat (5x5)
100kg Dead lift (1x5)
80kg Bar bell row (5x5)

This time round I've started everything at 20kg and but 5kg per session until I get up-to what I was at before (then back to the normal progression).

Also doing a mile sprint on my off days - working well so far, but unsure if it's a bit much on the legs with all the running/squats.
Might I suggest that you aren't sprinting for a mile? ;)

Doing a bit of cardio on your rest days is fine, particularly until the weights start to become a challenge.

Soldato
Might I suggest that you aren't sprinting for a mile? ;)

Doing a bit of cardio on your rest days is fine, particularly until the weights start to become a challenge.
Hehe ^ well, yeah I should say - fast run.

Do you have any experience of HIIT VS standard (quick) running?, I did try 30 seconds sprint, 30 seconds job, 30 seconds walk (repeat for as long as possible).

The goal is to improve cardio-vascular fitness (while I do weights to lose weight) - I know I have to eat a little more, but I want to improve general fitness while losing weight/lifting.

Man of Honour
I am a huge advocate of HIIT, but there is no reason not to do both.

Also, avoid thinking that just because you're doing cardio you should eat more. Yes is true at certain levels of bodybuilding, but could mess up your progress if you're trying to lose weight.

Soldato

60kg Bench Press (5x5)
75kg Squat (5x5)
100kg Dead lift (1x5)
80kg Bar bell row (5x5)

That BB row is very impressive. Do you do it parallel to the ground, without any hip drive?

Associate
Stronglifts 5x5 is a specific workout involving a 5x5 setxrep scheme. What you're proposing isn't Stronglifts.

What are your goals?

Whats different ?

I want to gain strength, I have spent the past 6months stuck on the same weights, unable to gain, increased Cals/protein have done nothing, I have hot bigger but no extra strength! Hoping this will change that.

Man of Honour
Whats different ?

I want to gain strength, I have spent the past 6months stuck on the same weights, unable to gain, increased Cals/protein have done nothing, I have hot bigger but no extra strength! Hoping this will change that.
http://stronglifts.com/

Looking at your weights, you're probably plateauing because of technique and training strategy. For example, I doubt you're deadlift will increase until you sort your squat out; from the ratio between these you're likely deadlifting primarily with your back.

Associate
That website is full of articles and nothing showing exercises? From what I have read - its 2x workouts of rows/squats/bench and an assistance workout in the middle..?

My squat is low as I probably squat once a month, shameful I know! I feel I can easily get past 100 after a few good sessions.

Soldato
Today

Warmup

5 x 5 reps - Squats @ 57.5kg - done
3 x 5 reps - overhead press @ 37.5kg and 2 x 3 @ 37.5kg. As i suspected - only managed 3 reps for last 2 sets - this is my nemesis exercise at the moment.
1 x 5 reps - 75kg deadlift - done

Core and stretches to finish.

Disappointed that I failed the 5 x 5 overhead press - but I knew this was likely as the 35kg was a big struggle. Will try again @ 37.5 next time for the full 5 x 5.

Associate
Well started my first one yesterday..

Stuck to same weight for first 4 sets and went up for 5th..

Bench press, 4x5 of 95kg, 1x5 of 100kg
Squat 4x5 of 95kg 1x5 100kg. Found this quite easy tbh so will go lot higher next time.
Barbell rows, 4x5 of 72.5, 1x5 of 75kg again felt this was less then I could do will go for more.
3sets of dips... 25,15,15. No extra weight.

Weighed myself today, 80kg exactly, lost 6kg since Xmas :(

Associate
It's a progressive plan - you need to start off light...very light. If you do it for 12 weeks you will be adding 90kg from your starting weight to your squat and dead and 45kg to your other lifts. If you think you'll be doing 5 reps of 190kg squats A2G in 3 months time then all the best, but starting with weights too high is the most common cause of failure in seeing results.

Man of Honour
Well started my first one yesterday..

Stuck to same weight for first 4 sets and went up for 5th..

Bench press, 4x5 of 95kg, 1x5 of 100kg
Squat 4x5 of 95kg 1x5 100kg. Found this quite easy tbh so will go lot higher next time.
Barbell rows, 4x5 of 72.5, 1x5 of 75kg again felt this was less then I could do will go for more.
3sets of dips... 25,15,15. No extra weight.

Weighed myself today, 80kg exactly, lost 6kg since Xmas :(
As Volcs says, you aren't really following the programme at all.

It's meant to be very easy to begin with.

Soldato
Not sure if it'll help anyone else but you can get the Kindle version of Starting Strength for about a quarter of the printed price. I've already learnt a lot about my technique (or lack of) and having it on my iPhone is very handy for the gym.

Sadly I've had to go easy on squats because there is no cage or squat rack at my gym (it's dirt cheap but low on gear other than cardio equipment) so I have to effectively overhead press the bar into and out of position which gets pretty dangerous/hard for heavy weights. Just about to order some kit and setup a home gym, initially just a decent cage and a good set of weights but enough that I can do squats safely as it's really holding back my progress.

Associate
As Volcs says, you aren't really following the programme at all.

It's meant to be very easy to begin with.

What's the point in that? If I can 5x5 on 100 now.. Why go down to 60kg, wait 8weeks then get back to 100kg.. Seems backwards, how That would make you stronger by doing less weight is confusing..

Associate
To ensure correct form and also that you wont plateau too early.

As the others have said what you're doing isn't stronglifts. The whole idea is starting at a low weight which incrementally increases every week until you stall 3x, then deloading slightly and pushing through.

Recommends at the start of the guide that you take 50% of your 1RM and start from there.

Back
Top Bottom