DELETED_5350

Associate
Clowncore all the way.

Yes, that's another real genre. I've heard of a lot, but as people like to invent new ones all the time, it's tricky to follow. I couldn't distinguish between half of them, to be honest.

Edit// Disclaimer - I've never voluntarily listened to clowncore.

Last edited:
Soldato
Grrrrr said:
900bpm speedcore is where it's at :D

Seriously try and download some, i promise you a good laugh

Ive actually been to a couple of gabber events, which was getting onto speedcore. The crowd/location was fairly 'interesting', the only reason I was there was my friend was playing a Nu-NRG/Hardstyle set beforehand.

I was always more into Glazby, Amber D, Lab4, Yoji Biomehanika, Tinrib etc hard and fast but not too silly :p

Soldato
Just to clarify i don't listen to speedcore :p

I was curious as to what it was one day so i downloaded a rip from a liveset and i've never laughed so much in my life. It's just noise... The crowd reaction was pretty funny as well, cheering when the 900bpm parts kick in and a big 'oooooh' when it's finished

Soldato
The entire idea of that many sub genrè's is flawed.

I'd go as far to say that most of them are made up genrè's for a few artists, and that in all honesty, its an insult to call Electronic music a part of dance music, when if thought of, its more likely to be the other way around.

Soldato
BoomAM said:
The entire idea of that many sub genrè's is flawed.

I'd go as far to say that most of them are made up genrè's for a few artists, and that in all honesty, its an insult to call Electronic music a part of dance music, when if thought of, its more likely to be the other way around.

Where does it say electronic music is a part of dance music? Besides it's half true, salsa and tango (etc etc) music are types of dance music, it's just that when people refer to dance music 99% of the time they mean electronic dance music. On the other hand, hip-hop and modern RnB are electronic music but would you include them in the dance genre?

As for having so many genres yeah you're probably right some some of the more obscure ones probably are made up of only a small number of artists but it doesn't make it any less valid as it's own genre.

Not really sure where i'm going with this so i'll stop now. Also with the link a few posts above, it's a decent guide but only take it as a guide it's certainly not 100% factual

Pete

Soldato
Grrrrr said:
Where does it say electronic music is a part of dance music?
In every record shop that insists in labeling artists such as LemonJelly & JMJ as dance music.

Besides it's half true, salsa and tango (etc etc) music are types of dance music, it's just that when people refer to dance music 99% of the time they mean electronic dance music. On the other hand, hip-hop and modern RnB are electronic music but would you include them in the dance genre?
Im not arguing for Dance music. Im arguing that people class Electronic music as dance. When it not. I'd like to see people dance to JMJ...

As for having so many genres yeah you're probably right some some of the more obscure ones probably are made up of only a small number of artists but it doesn't make it any less valid as it's own genre.
I think it does.
Creating an entirely new genrè for 1 or 2 artists that have 90% of their sound already 'planted' in another genrè is daft.

Soldato
Its a damn sight easier for every record shop to go:

Rock & Pop A-Z

Urban A-Z

Dance A-Z

Classical A-Z

There is an independant record shop near me which is an absolute pain in the arse to find what you want.

"Excuse me do you have Takk...?"

"Yes its over there buried beneath Avant Garde between indie, emo and leftfield dub A-Z section"

Soldato
I think your missing my point.
Every music store should list things alphabetically.
Or, if they must have genrè classification, limit it to a few main catagories.

Soldato
They do, thats why I said it was easier, 4 catagories A-Z. :confused:

I am saying that there is one near me with A-Z in about 50 different catagories per yard and its annoying.

Man of Honour
I know all those sub-genres. Its the sub-subs I start struggling with :p

BoomAM said:
I think your missing my point.
Every music store should list things alphabetically.
Or, if they must have genrè classification, limit it to a few main catagories.
You don't want any genre classification at all?

How on earth would you check things out that you didn't know had come out, or new artists in a genre you'd not heard but might want to give a listen?

Every single artist lumped in together and alphebetised would be the final nail in the coffin of high street shops.

Soldato
Gilly said:
You don't want any genre classification at all?
Preferably not.
Why limit yourself to one music 'genrè', when you can possibly 'experiance' more than what you normally like?
Im not entirely against classification, but having so many is stupid. Just a few. So that you can listen to more than one type within a type.
The current catagories are flawed though. imo. My arguement is that Electronic music is classed as Dance music and is often listed under dance. When it shouldnt be. As electronic music was the 'starting point' for Dance music. Dance music is essentially watered down electronic music, often with vocals. So why is Electronic music classified under Dance?

How on earth would you check things out that you didn't know had come out, or new artists in a genre you'd not heard but might want to give a listen?
Well i dont know your buying habbits, but i dont know a single person who goes into a music shop and buys a CD from the 'genrè' section that they like, but the CDs from an artist that they've never heard of.

Every single artist lumped in together and alphebetised would be the final nail in the coffin of high street shops.
Why would it?
It would force people to listen to more than what they consider 'good'.
While it does slightly conflict with my previous comment, if you have no classification, and just an A-Z section, it'd A) be easyier for people to find what they are looking for (because lets be honest, most people know what CD they want when they go into the shop) & B) as ive said, allow people to listen to stuff that they wouldnt normally consider.
For example. My two main types of music that i listen to is Electronic & Indy. Now, if i 'stayed' with those two genres because when i walked into a shop to look for a new electronic/indy album and only went to those sections, i'd never have heard of other artists in other genrès that i could possibly like. If its all 'lumped together', then theres more chance of me being inquisitive about other artists in genrès i wouldnt normally consider.

But thats off topic, the thing that bothers me, which i cover in my first point of this post, is that Electronic is classed under Dance.
When it should be the other way around. imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom