The Suprise Build

Soldato
Hi all,

Before I go any further, I would just like to express how incredibly lucky I feel to be part of a community like the OCuk, as thanks to several VERY kind and generous individuals donating and selling me bits for extremely minimal money , what we have now built has far exceeded what I thought I could do.

Minibiker, bifday2k and The Liege. I am absolutely overwhelmed and owe you all for giving what you did to this project, its a massive thing its new owner who I am delivering it to tonight now all the OS etc. is installed.

So long story short, a friend of my wife has a teenage son who on occasions come round to our place with his mum for dinner, he has always been into console gaming but showed real interest in my gaming pc straight away when he saw it and mentioned he would love to build one.

He is a great lad and for reasons I wont go into they have had a tough last year or so, and he deserves something nice to happen for him. With that in mind I thought why not pull together some bits and surprise him with a gaming build.

He and his mum came over last Wednesday and just before we sat down for dinner I explained I was building a pc that night did he want to help, which he of course agreed to straight away, his face of pure disbelief when I said you need to help as its yours was priceless :)

Originally I had an old 775 motherboard and quad core, some DDR2 and a 350W PSU that was going to be the starting point for the build which where not bad, is nothing compared to what he now has thanks to the guys above!!

The final build spec is:

Zalman Z3 Plus White case with blue illumination (donated by TheLiege)
Asus 1156 Board with i7-920 CPU (donated by Bifday2k)
6GB DDR3 1600 OCZ RAM (donated by Bifday2k)
HD6870 Twin-Frozr OC GPU (donated by Bifday2k)
EVGA 450BT PSU (Sold to me crazily cheap still sealed by Minibiker)
2x 1TB HDD (Donated by TheLiege & Bifday2k)
19" Iiyama Pro-Lite LCD Panel (Donated by TheLiege)

128GB SSD Boot Drive
Coolermaster TX3-Evo CPU Cooler
Windows 10
Shed load of digital steam games (finally found a great use for my extensive Humble Bundle spares)
SoundBlaster X-Fi card

I will get some pics of the final machine up later but wanted to get this post up, mostly as a thank you :)

Thanks

Ben

Associate
Hi all,

Before I go any further, I would just like to express how incredibly lucky I feel to be part of a community like the OCuk, as thanks to several VERY kind and generous individuals donating and selling me bits for extremely minimal money , what we have now built has far exceeded what I thought I could do.

Minibiker, bifday2k and The Liege. I am absolutely overwhelmed and owe you all for giving what you did to this project, its a massive thing its new owner who I am delivering it to tonight now all the OS etc. is installed.

So long story short, a friend of my wife has a teenage son who on occasions come round to our place with his mum for dinner, he has always been into console gaming but showed real interest in my gaming pc straight away when he saw it and mentioned he would love to build one.

He is a great lad and for reasons I wont go into they have had a tough last year or so, and he deserves something nice to happen for him. With that in mind I thought why not pull together some bits and surprise him with a gaming build.

He and his mum came over last Wednesday and just before we sat down for dinner I explained I was building a pc that night did he want to help, which he of course agreed to straight away, his face of pure disbelief when I said you need to help as its yours was priceless :)

Originally I had an old 775 motherboard and quad core, some DDR2 and a 350W PSU that was going to be the starting point for the build which where not bad, is nothing compared to what he now has thanks to the guys above!!

The final build spec is:

Zalman Z3 Plus White case with blue illumination (donated by TheLiege)
Asus 1156 Board with i7-920 CPU (donated by Bifday2k)
6GB DDR3 1600 OCZ RAM (donated by Bifday2k)
HD6870 Twin-Frozr OC GPU (donated by Bifday2k)
EVGA 450BT PSU (Sold to me crazily cheap still sealed by Minibiker)
2x 1TB HDD (Donated by TheLiege & Bifday2k)
19" Iiyama Pro-Lite LCD Panel (Donated by TheLiege)

128GB SSD Boot Drive
Coolermaster TX3-Evo CPU Cooler
Windows 10
Shed load of digital steam games (finally found a great use for my extensive Humble Bundle spares)
SoundBlaster X-Fi card

I will get some pics of the final machine up later but wanted to get this post up, mostly as a thank you :)

Thanks

Ben

If you want to upgrade him to 16gb of DDR3 RAM give me a shout. Ive some old 4x4gb Corsair Dominators sat in the loft doing nothing and happy to donate them to a good cause.
In fact theres a z67 board and a 5ghz capable 2500k in there too.

Soldato
OP
If you want to upgrade him to 16gb of DDR3 RAM give me a shout. Ive some old 4x4gb Corsair Dominators sat in the loft doing nothing and happy to donate them to a good cause.
In fact theres a z67 board and a 5ghz capable 2500k in there too.

The offer of the RAM is amazing, would certainly help future proof him a bit :). The core flies and apparently is good for 4Ghz should we need it

Back
Top Bottom