• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
EnAgv1nXIAMBtzv

Associate
Do people really believe this nonsense?

It's like calling a Vega 64 a 4k card while a Vega 56 is a 1440p card. They are literally the same core, even if you doubled the memory on the Vega 64 it doesn't change that it's got 10% more raw performance and can not in any way run a full resolution higher at a vastly different framerate to the one below it.

The 3090 is not an 8k card, it can output 8k, so can the 3080 not surprisingly because it's literally the same piece of silicon with a little bit of it disabled. They aren't in different performance classes, if the 3080 can't run a game in 8k with acceptable frame rates then the 3090 won't either.

I mean metro exodus sucks on a 3080 at 8k, 21 fps max, 15 mins, what about the 3090 17 mins and 26 max. Totally a 8k card. That's before you get to Total war which apparently runs faster in 8k on the 3080 than the 3090. Horizon Zero dawn is badly optimised and does have significantly higher performance on the 3090, at 19 mins for a $1.5k card. No one playing at those kind of settings on a 1.5k card.

Yeah they've kitted it out with memory and yes that means at 8k it runs into less/no memory limitations but it still actively doesn't have the raw horsepower to run that resolution in any reasonable game you'd be buying a 1.5k card to game on.

They are the same piece of silicon, the 3080 is a 10% slower salvaged part, stop acting like they are entirely different products in completely different performance brackets.
For some people they are because Nvidia said so . Don't try to fight fanboys they know better anyway

Yeah. People need to just say it as it is. Nvidia ****** up their launch and are getting a lot of **** for it and rightly so. If AMD do the same, the same applies to them. None of these companies are your friend.

+1

I'm getting to the point that I don't even want to try anymore.

No stock at launch... fine, price gouging at launch... fine.
You know what forget it then.
I'll come back in 3 to 6 months when things have settled down.

Soldato
I think, like many people, you misunderstand the meaning of flagship, if you think it simply means "fastest".

flagship noun [C] (BEST PRODUCT)
best or most important product, idea, building, etc. that an organization owns or produces:

The 3080 is the flagship product to Jensen and Nvidia because it is the most important card in the lineup, not because it is the outright fastest. Nvidia designated the 3080 their flagship product at launch, so it's currently their flagship product. Any other meaning you are applying to it is completely subjective.

Yeah...buying a GPU at the moment is a total mess!

Soldato
Yep, even considering the trying global circumstances, Nvidia and AMD deserve real criticism for their handling of their launches and the cynical and untransparent way in which they were done (semi-paper style, very limited stocks), as do the retailers who have capitalised on all of this chaos to hike prices up into the stratosphere.

2020 was the year that PC hardware consumers got shafted with no regard or respect from the people we give our money to. If I don't get something at launch I will now just wait until next year for stock stabilize, because you have to be mad to give your money to a retailer and wait so many weeks, if not months, for a purchase of this level.

Could not have said it any better, 2020 has shown true greed of manufacturers and resellers and some individuals. The price of everything has gone up not just pc stuff. I was going to join the rush for 6900xt but decided to wait for stock levels to replenish. I am tired of being scalped, its sicking seeing people buy multiple ps5 and sell them for £600 on ebay as pre order. Ill wait a while and not feed the scalpers.

I really think manufacturers RRP should be fixed and not alterable by resellers but understand there is legal justification preventing this.

I see many complaining of availability and price gouging, its easy be patient, don't buy at these inflated prices and market will readjust eventually.

My 1080Ti will last a few more months not going to die. There are many unfortunate souls have lost their lives to covid 19, my friends neighbour died at age 45 and someone on my mums family side lost their life at just 27 years old to covid. It puts things into perspective.

Associate
I agree 100% i think im just going to sit tight with my Series X and game on that for now, still havent finished RDR2, Forza 4, GTAV, Jedi Knight and many others, i have Cyberpunk 2077 ordered for it and i'll probably pickup Watchdog Legions and Assassins creed Valhalla. Plenty to keep me occupied until stock levels are abundant and prices normalise.

I only really play EQ at the moment with a bit of Division 2 and some Modern Warfare, but im happy to play Division 2 on the Console as well, as its a lot more forgiving as a shooter mainly due to the cover mechanics and i run a skill build that basically kills stuff for me :) So the 290 right now is coping admirably with EQ (you can run that on a potatoe) and stick to the console for the rest.

Caporegime
Could not have said it any better, 2020 has shown true greed of manufacturers and resellers and some individuals. The price of everything has gone up not just pc stuff. I was going to join the rush for 6900xt but decided to wait for stock levels to replenish. I am tired of being scalped, its sicking seeing people buy multiple ps5 and sell them for £600 on ebay as pre order. Ill wait a while and not feed the scalpers.

I really think manufacturers RRP should be fixed and not alterable by resellers but understand there is legal justification preventing this.

I see many complaining of availability and price gouging, its easy be patient, don't buy at these inflated prices and market will readjust eventually.

My 1080Ti will last a few more months not going to die. There are many unfortunate souls have lost their lives to covid 19, my friends neighbour died at age 45 and someone on my mums family side lost their life at just 27 years old to covid. It puts things into perspective.
Yes, scalpers have entered the bigtime infamy now, and purchasing of stock should be tightly controlled by retailers at launch. One item per unique individual non-business consumer, with stores using software to enforce this using name, address and payment methods.

We all want a nice shiny GPU, but we don't NEED it... if we don't get one at launch for a good price then we should be willing to wait a little rather than pay scalper prices.

Associate

I agree with this, it's been a **** show. The excuses have been poor as well.

Mask manufacturers manages to get their system sorted out in under a month when the pandemic started. Queues for the websites, queues for website access, registering into a queue for codes that enable purchase, purchase limits. Why can they do this so fast and the actual tech industry can't?

There really is no excuse.

Associate
It's the red devil supposedly.. too thick for my taste though :(

yeah says Red Devil Limited Edition, last time they done a LE of the Red Devil it was just in a fancy box with an RGB Mousemat, im hoping its the same again this time and that card is actually the standard Red Devil as well :)

Just sold my Red Devil LE 5700XT, so this is the natural progression from that! will try and buy on day 1 but im not holding out much hope, so still content to sit on my Series X for the forseeable.

Associate
Yes, scalpers have entered the bigtime infamy now, and purchasing of stock should be tightly controlled by retailers at launch. One item per unique individual non-business consumer, with stores using software to enforce this using name, address and payment methods.

We all want a nice shiny GPU, but we don't NEED it... if we don't get one at launch for a good price then we should be willing to wait a little rather than pay scalper prices.

Basically they should make everyone to type in the card details again. This will stop the bots

Soldato
Just found a sapphire RX 6800 listed at the same retailer who said they won't be having stock until 2021. Sure it's not in stock but it's a curious thing, isn't it?

xPxOAbd.png

Before-tax converted to pounds: 596
After-tax converted to pounds: 745

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom