• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Soldato

Ok, I will preface this by saying that this review by Coretek is very articulate and accurate reporting. Yes, I'm surprised.
-He explains why disparity of performance between AMD vs Nvidia sponsored titles.
-He explains how to enable SAM in the bios for x570 board
-He explains that Dirt 5 RT is optimized for RX 6000 and shows you what to expect from other ported games that use RT for the Uarch
-He admits that RT is still a gimmick overall.

Most important:
-He uses a AMD PC Build as his test bed. Something I'm finding hard to see in these other reviews

:D
Thats incredibly impressive. The 5800 matches the 3090 in some cases! It's more than double the price!

Yes, it is impressive. Most importantly it wasn't hamstrung on a Intel PC. At a cursory glance even the 5000 series benefit from using a complete AMD PC Build which is, IMO, incentive enough to go AMD. Specially if you are looking to play future next gen consoled ported titles.

AMD dominates new titles... Nvidia older ones.

AND AMD dominates new titles... Nvidia older titles. The same trend occurred with AMD new CPU´s...
A fair observation. However, it does appear that Nvidia sponsored titles do better on Nvidia hardware.
I'm not sure if it's fair to call next gen pc ported games AMD sponsored since it's AMD's hardware in the consoles to begin with. However, it's becoming an outlier for nvidia none the less.

What's this.

The ONLY reviewer I've seen to use a 5950 rig for testing.
Exactly!

Caporegime
Nope the PC version will not have the same limits on PC with a RTX 3080. PC versions on the 3080 will look better. There are videos on the development of the console spiderman game that explain what they had to do to get good performance on a console with RT, these limits can be tweaked or removed for PC giving a far better looking game. You would know I am right if you knew what you were talking about.
Tell me what % of the games market consoles account for (including XBox One and PS4), and what % 3080/3090 owners on PC make up :p :p

Devs are going to target PC owners with 3080s and 3090s are they? Yeah, no.

Soldato
Just coining a phrase I see often on here :)

Why is it too early :confused: I certainly would not be going back to lower resolutions as a 3080 paired with an OLED at 4K with Gsync is glorious.

Just coining a phrase I see often on here :)

Why is it too early :confused: I certainly would not be going back to lower resolutions as a 3080 paired with an OLED at 4K with Gsync is glorious.

True everyone's situation is different I prefer playing on desk with monitor which is 1440p 240hz so feel like I'll get more bang for buck with 6800xt,

Feel like the next gen cards will start seeing 140+ FPS at 4k

Soldato
I guess one shortfall of the AMD GPU, important for some, is support for the GPU-accelerated machine learning libraries like MXNet, PyTorch, TensorFlow etc.

Associate
Tell me what % of the games market consoles account for (including XBox One and PS4), and what % 3080/3090 owners on PC make up :p :p

Devs are going to target PC owners with 3080s and 3090s are they? Yeah, no.

If you look at the development video for the spiderman game for consoles, you would understand how they tweak the game so that they get the fps they want. You would understand right away how these tweak can then be relaxed for better hardware. You're argument is basically, "ignorance is bliss".

This video covers the problem.

Last edited:
Associate
Still outright beats the 3080 in 1080p and 1440p categories. If you truly care about Ray tracing and the limited showings its given us so far, then yes go for the 3080 / 3090. But bang for your buck, the 6800 takes the cake.

you make it sound like 30% difference.
it beats the 3080 in few titles max 5%

bang for your buck?
what is it £50-70 extra?

Caporegime
If you look at the development video for the spiderman game for consoles, you would understand how they tweak the game so that they get the fps they want. You would understand right away how these tweak can then be relaxed for better hardware. You're argument is basically, "ignorance is bliss".
I'm not saying they can't do it, I'm saying they mostly won't bother tweaking their game for the 0.0005% of gamers to push their £1500 GPUs to the limit :p

Most titles will be designed from the ground up for consoles. In 12-18 months time they'll be built for next-gen (AMD) consoles. For the little while longer they'll be build for current gen (AMD) consoles.

Devs aren't going to spend time putting in features that current- or next-gen consoles can't handle, and only 3080 or 3090 owners can make use of. Because, time is money :p

Associate
I'm not saying they can't do it, I'm saying they mostly won't bother tweaking their game for the 0.0005% of gamers to push their £1500 GPUs to the limit :p

Most titles will be designed from the ground up for consoles. In 12-18 months time they'll be built for next-gen (AMD) consoles. For the little while longer they'll be build for current gen (AMD) consoles.

Devs aren't going to spend time putting in features that current- or next-gen consoles can't handle, and only 3080 or 3090 owners can make use of. Because, time is money :p

Again your arguement makes sense if you are ignorant of the way it works.

This video covers the tweaks they make. Note that they can relax the tweaks or remove them if they don't need to be there on faster hardware for good performance. Thus the game can look far better on the RTX 3080/3090 with little of no changes.

Caporegime
Anyone else just received an email from Overclockers stating they are refunding there order because they didn't make the limited quantity of the product for sale?

Yup, just got the you're ****** email too.

Also sounds like as others have been implying, this isn't low stock of the reference card as much as it's straight up limited edition. They said refund in process and no indication of any list. they get what they got and there are no more reference cards.

This isn't surprising. Usually you have crap reference cards and a month or two till customs and there isn't much competition as no one wants reference except for watercooling. This time reference is great and custom are only a week later so this is just to have some stock on the full launch but real stock is with the customs a week later.

6800xt reference is more like 5700xt 50th anniversary edition and with so few around that's why places only got 10-50 cards and some countries got none at all. Not because early stock is definitely bad but because there simply won't ever be many of these cards.

Caporegime
Again your arguement makes sense if you are ignorant of the way it works.

This video covers the tweaks they make. Note that they can relax the tweaks or remove them if they don't need to be there on faster hardware for good performance. Thus the game can look far better on the RTX 3080/3090 with little of no changes.
Believe what you want. We have literally decades of experience of consoles being the lead platform, and what that means for PC gamers :p

I'm sure all of that will change because you watched 1 YT video about Spiderman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom