• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No, but it's fast AF and pretty much maxing out my 144Hz Ultrawide in rasta(farian) mode when it's boosting to over 2.5Ghz ;)
I have not tried and probably never will as COD is not my type of game and I will not pay for it, but some people here are saying COD has very nice RT. You are saying you are happy to miss out? Just does not seem like you is all ;)

We all know 6800XT is a beast in non RT. Especially at lower resolutions.

Pet Northerner
Don
I have not tried and probably never will as COD is not my type of game and I will not pay for it, but some people here are saying COD has very nice RT. You are saying you are happy to miss out? Just does not seem like you is all ;)

We all know 6800XT is a beast in non RT. Especially at lower resolutions.

Dunno about Jedi but my vega 64 wasn't cutting the UW resolution (3440x1440) without serious cutbacks on settings, so being able to load games and move sliders to the right has been new and fun! There's even been a few games (hitman 2) where I've skipped due to not being happy with performance and I'll be going back to those for sure! For the first time in a while I'm excited to play games again.

Hopefully in a couple of years we'll have a wide range of games with good RT effect (and hopefully not just a huge bunch of puddles and marble floors) that'll make me want to jump cards. That's assuming AMD cannot come up with a solution to help with RT on the 6800XT.

Permabanned
If they both go to chiplet designs for the GPUs then there's a good chance RDNA3 kicks Hoppers butt

That maybe true if AMD had seperated RT from compute. Since they didn't they will have to design RT cores from the ground up and a scheduler. They may also want to include some AI cores to compete with Nvidia. RNDA3 will require a huge redesign with all the performance issues that causes while keeping RDNA2 code paths running well.

Nvidia already have Tensor, RT and cuda all working in parallel and so increasing performance is a little easier. I can see Nvidia dominating with Hopper.

Caporegime
They have too little memory bandwidth cause amd cheaped out a bit by using lastbgen g6- 3090 has nearly double the bandwidth compared to big Navi. If you think the performance drop off is big at 4k, just wait till you see 8k. Noticed how Nvidia paid special attention to advertising the 3090 as 8k capable and AMD is totally dodging any mention of 8k, it wants no part of being compared to the 3090 at 8k cause it will be a slaughter

Literally who cares about 8k at all? Literally 5 users in the world will try gaming at 8k, anyone designing a card to aim at those users is throwing money away.

More over, only a small percentage of people even game at 4k. On consoles more people game at 4k than on PC because 4k pc monitors still aren't great while 4k tvs are much more common. Though it's not really 4k and it's not anywhere near as high or stable framerates. Most PC games are still 1080-1440p and preferring higher frame rates, those on high end cards anyway.

There's really nothing in the slightest that indicates the 6800xt runs out of memory bandwidth at 4k because increasing memory speeds fairly significantly doesn't do much and yet if that was a large bottleneck it absolutely would do so. The simple fact is that 6800xt scales normally to 4k, it's Ampere that scales badly but down from 4k rather than upwards. Ampere has shown in so many benchmarks it just kinda sucks at lower resolutions, it's literally at times slower than the previous gen at 1080p.

Ampere is the card with dodgy scaling while the 6800xt scales just fine. If you compare to every other AMD/Nvidia architecture it's 4k scaling looks standard, it's solely Ampere where it doesn't do as well in 4k. Every card is a sacrifice, more throughout for higher frame rates or more raw horse power for higher resolutions. You can have both but the dies get bigger and bigger. Nvidia have 4k performance but the card lacks things that would make it's 1080/1440p performance as good as a result.

Associate
Does anyone know if I pay with PayPal to get it through checkout faster should I be lucky enough to get an aib card, would I incour any fees? This is using my linked bank account.
The fastest way to order is through Amazon pay. Literally 1 click away after tapping checkout as long u disable security measures on your Amazon account (temporary?)
The less clicks the payment method requires more likely you can go through to the payment accepted when site is down 9/10 refreshes.
Got 5900x and 6800xt here this way both delivered in under 2 days from release date

Soldato
Literally who cares about 8k at all? Literally 5 users in the world will try gaming at 8k, anyone designing a card to aim at those users is throwing money away.

More over, only a small percentage of people even game at 4k. On consoles more people game at 4k than on PC because 4k pc monitors still aren't great while 4k tvs are much more common. Though it's not really 4k and it's not anywhere near as high or stable framerates. Most PC games are still 1080-1440p and preferring higher frame rates, those on high end cards anyway.

There's really nothing in the slightest that indicates the 6800xt runs out of memory bandwidth at 4k because increasing memory speeds fairly significantly doesn't do much and yet if that was a large bottleneck it absolutely would do so. The simple fact is that 6800xt scales normally to 4k, it's Ampere that scales badly but down from 4k rather than upwards. Ampere has shown in so many benchmarks it just kinda sucks at lower resolutions, it's literally at times slower than the previous gen at 1080p.

Ampere is the card with dodgy scaling while the 6800xt scales just fine. If you compare to every other AMD/Nvidia architecture it's 4k scaling looks standard, it's solely Ampere where it doesn't do as well in 4k. Every card is a sacrifice, more throughout for higher frame rates or more raw horse power for higher resolutions. You can have both but the dies get bigger and bigger. Nvidia have 4k performance but the card lacks things that would make it's 1080/1440p performance as good as a result.

We can't say Nvidia lacks at 1440p, either card gives enough frames at 1440p.

Associate
use a card on PP rather than your bank, as I'm sure that can take longer to clear. It can be the same Debit card as that linked account
It might take longer to clear but it's more prone to fail when site is down 99% of time and u need to refresh it AND type in details again

Associate
We can't say Nvidia lacks at 1440p, either card gives enough frames at 1440p.
Depends for whom I play warzone at Samsung g7 my aim is to get 240 FPS+ at 1440p on competitive settings and 3080 go nowhere near what 6800xt delivers specially when matched with 5900x

Associate
Ok mate I been looking through quite a few youtube uploads i dont see much in it 6800xt wins at 1440p and loses slightly at 4K

one of them was Hardware unboxed watched other reviews and all same pattern

1440 over 18 games
6800xt min 123fps Max 157fps
3080 min 122fps Max 153fps

6800xt min 79fps Max 93fps
3080 min 81fps Max 98fps

wouldnt exactly call that a spanking I myself play at 1440p still think AMD is behind but made really big leap from last gen still need to sort out its own DLSS and lower RT which is expected because its 1st attempt at it and nvidia had headstart on that, also how the drivers overtime improved a lot on the 5700xt wont be surprised if AMD does the same again

If you increase the games to 23, then the 3080 is ahead of the 6800xt by 6%. The 3080 is also ahead at every resolution. The mix and number of games matter. Thats why some reviews will have the 6800xt ahead, some even mixed result. Simple size is too small. The cards both have games they do well at and draw in many other games. Also the test system affects the results. Most people wont be using SAM.

This review is of 23 games. The 3080 is ahead by 6% @ 1080p, 4% @ 1440p and 6% @ 4k. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/35.html

The RX 6800 XT is just 6% behind the RTX 3080 and 25% faster than the RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 3070.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/41.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom