• Snuff

• Snus

• Cigarette

• Cigar

• Vape

• Currently smoke and want to give up

• Used to smoke but have given up

• Never smoked in my life

• Wouldn't even consider starting to smoke because of the horrible things it does to the body

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soldato
Given the choice between Sir Walter Raleigh's discoveries in South America, potatoes and tobacco, I always preferred tobacco.
Unfortunately Queen Elizabeth I was not amused by his lack of gold recovery and he ended his days in the tower minus head.

As a reformed tobacco fiend, I have smoked pipes, cigars and coffin nails, snorted snuff which I found a bit medicinal. I have now given up for a number of years.

If provided a last request though....

Soldato
I smoked for around 4-5 years when I was 15, then again at around 35 until 41 I didn't even smoke that much like 7-10 a day. I'm not saying smoking caused my Bronchitis but obviously being a smoker increases your risks of throat infection, lung infections, irritates and inflames your airways etc and makes any infections far worse. I bet you could barely even notice Bronchitis as a non smoker, but the inflammation of your airways from smoking with it... literally feels like death and your obviously going to get far worse than someones whos not smoking. and COPD is basiclly the same thing but caused by smoking and will stay with you for life.. no thanks.. the first 9 days are the worst when you quit smoking BTW, jaw literally ached as hell, forgot how bad it was
How are you now mate? Hopefully in a better place. I haven't smoked in years, took the odd silk cut fag if you can call that smoking. Wish a few of my mates would give up but they can't seen to break the habit.

Soldato
Nearly two years since I had a fag.

I switched to vaping, due to the covid thing. My sense of smell and taste have improved quite a lot.

I'm surprised how few people smoke these days. Numbers have visibly dropped off from what I saw a few years back.

Commissario
I'm surprised how few people smoke these days. Numbers have visibly dropped off from what I saw a few years back.

As a non smoker I've noticed in the last ~15 years that getting supplies for my dad's pipe has gotten harder, it's gone from being able to get pipe cleaners with ease from both the main supermarkets and the likes of the corner shops, and the baccy from anywhere that sold tobacco, to these days the pipe cleaners have to be ordered online (I don't know any local shops that stock them), and the baccy is now only in the main part of the supermarkets (not carried in the garages), and seems to be carried in far smaller amounts.

I suspect at least for pipes that the number of people smoking them is really small now.

Soldato
As a non smoker I've noticed in the last ~15 years that getting supplies for my dad's pipe has gotten harder, it's gone from being able to get pipe cleaners with ease from both the main supermarkets and the likes of the corner shops, and the baccy from anywhere that sold tobacco, to these days the pipe cleaners have to be ordered online (I don't know any local shops that stock them), and the baccy is now only in the main part of the supermarkets (not carried in the garages), and seems to be carried in far smaller amounts.

I suspect at least for pipes that the number of people smoking them is really small now.

Pipe tobacco is such an evocative smell. Takes me right back to Christmas as a kid.

I would think regular pipe smokers are nearly all in the over 70 bracket now.

You can get pipe cleaners from The Works, under kid's craft supplies.

Commissario
Aye I love the smell of the pipe baccy:)

Unfortunately the pipe cleaners they sell as art supplies tend to have the fluff too loose, or be to large a diameter on the wire to go into my dad's pipes :(
I've actually got a load of different art supplies ones, as well as about 3 different pipe ones and only one brand (fortunately fairly major) fits all the way through the pipes.

Soldato
Started smoking at 15, now 31. I gave up 5 years ago due to coming down with illnesses that I won't go into here. I do miss it though.

First thing in the morning used to be the best time for a rollie. Stepdad often smokes a pipe and regular ciggies and my Granded was a heavy smoker.

Caporegime
Interesting poll. Higher percentage of smokers than I thought!

I do remember going to shop for my step dad and having to buy 20 Marlborough lights. I felt dirty buying it.
And that was about 15 years ago.

For me it's always been.. Really expensive.. Bad for sports.. Ive never easily been peer pressured

So never took it up.

I did try a cigar on a boys holiday. Vanilla it said. Sure as hell didn't taste like vanilla! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom