• Snuff

• Snus

• Cigarette

• Cigar

• Vape

• Currently smoke and want to give up

• Used to smoke but have given up

• Never smoked in my life

• Wouldn't even consider starting to smoke because of the horrible things it does to the body

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soldato
I wanted to know if there were any pipe, snuff, snus, cigarette, or cigar smokers here and thought it would be nice to share recommendations.

I'm personally a big fan of snuff, and I'm getting my first ever pack of 6 cigars in a sample pack on Tuesday, which I'm pretty excited by.

Did any of you get any smoking presents for Christmas?

Caporegime
Perfectly cromulent question.

If you've just started smoking, never had a cigar, then I would honestly say the cliché of don't bother. I smoked for 15 years.
Literally burning your money and killing yourself.
I suspect all you are gonna get is posts like this.
It's the 2020s now.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
If all people want to do is post "don't do it" etc. then I don't think there is a need in this type of thread.

On Topic:
I stopped fags a while back but still have my cigars on occasion - such occasions are much less frequent since having kids, however.

Do you have a humidor? We have a Cigar Aficionado thread here in GD somewhere which is full of advice and suggestions.

Snuff is a bit of a strange one... never tried it, never appealed. Cigars are to accompany a nice drink where as I see snuff as being a bit fiendish. Do you sniff or chew?

Soldato
Got a feeling all you're going to get is holier than thou posters telling you of the damage you're doing to yourself and your wallet but as this is a free country you can smoke if you choose (I quit 9 years or so ago).

I used to occasionally have a cigar in the pub (usually when someone brought a pack of hamlets or something) but on a Caribbean cruise I tried one in the cigar lounge and it was certainly a more mellow pleasant experience, only once tried snuff and it made me sneeze so bad ended up with nose bleed, never touched it again.

Caporegime
Posts giving a lecture about giving up should just be deleted. It’s a free country, he’s made his choice. I’m sure he’s perfectly aware of the damage smoking does, he doesn’t need everyone piling in on him stating the obvious.

Do all the preachers do nothing to to harm their own health like drinking, eating unhealthy food or undertake potentially dangerous activities? I highly doubt it.

Caporegime
I developed Bronchitis somewhere around the 10th december, that's when I first noticed the breathless feeling after smoking anyway, I ignored it and reached the point where I would smoke a ciggy in the morning, then feel like I daren't smoke another for the whole day....
I did a PCR and it was negative, I'm convinced it's Bronchitis.

I tried to survive for 2-3 more days before I ended up at A&E feeling as though I was being water boarded. (coughing up little green jelly round mucus balls from my airways)

my resting heart rate was 140-160BPM, I was literally having to breathe really hard with my lungs to get any air and by time that air had reached my lungs it felt stale as if it contained no oxygen.

I was terrified for my life... my oxygen levels were 97% though so the hospital wasn't really that bothered at all.

The GP diagnosed Bronchitis and sent me on my way to a pharmacy for
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/amoxicillin/
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/prednisolone/
A weeks worth of each.

5 days into them I can't say I felt any better at all but around a 4 hour window I was due to take the steroids my breathing would go really bad so they must have been doing something.
it made me think I'm no better at all and I'm going to run out of meds on Christmas day..

somehow I seemed to start getting better just as my meds ran out, then I notice my throat is getting sore and I'm getting a fever.

another PCR test and another GP visit, he pretty much instantly dismisses me and doesnt care, tail end of a viral infection or something....

but it's not because it's just started as I come off the meds.....

I Think it's strep throat it's getting better now, seems almost gone tbh.

Not had a ciggy in 2 weeks, can't even think about them without feeling like my lungs are going to collapse if I dare take even a single puff.

lucky escape it seems.... smokings dumb and https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-copd/ should terrify anyone who smokes.

especially if you ever get Bronchitis like I did.
you'd basically be feeling like your being water boarded for life..... I'd literally just off a bridge ontop hard concrete if I developed COPD... no way I would live like that.

I've smoked through coughs, colds everything but Bronchitis was on another level.... literally feels like your going to die

Caporegime
@arknor man that's awful, glad you are on the mend. Can i ask how long you have been a smoker?
I smoked for around 4-5 years when I was 15, then again at around 35 until 41

I didn't even smoke that much like 7-10 a day. I'm not saying smoking caused my Bronchitis but obviously being a smoker increases your risks of throat infection, lung infections, irritates and inflames your airways etc and makes any infections far worse.

I bet you could barely even notice Bronchitis as a non smoker, but the inflammation of your airways from smoking with it... literally feels like death and your obviously going to get far worse than someones whos not smoking.

8wHI4Fl.jpg

and COPD is basiclly the same thing but caused by smoking and will stay with you for life..

no thanks..

the first 9 days are the worst when you quit smoking BTW, jaw literally ached as hell, forgot how bad it was

Man of Honour
I strongly believe that everyone has a right to smoke if they choose to. Their life, their choice. But I do want to add something simply because the OP seems to want to move from sniffing snuff to actually smoking. While snuff is still risky because of the tobacco content, I believe that actually smoking is even more harmful. So the OP should be aware of what they are going to do to their body and the increased risks.

I've repeated this elsewhere on the forum. But I've watched both my parents as they each struggled for breath and held their hands as they finally died of smoking related cancers, with my mum also suffering from COPD for several years beforehand and needing to carry oxygen with her. They got addicted in the 1950's when there wasn't the same public awareness. But we have that awareness now.

Your choice OP. Your body and your life to do with as you please. But if I was in your shoes then I'd stick to snuff rather than escalate into smoking. Sorry to be "that guy" and I'm sure it's not the advice you were looking for.

Soldato
My mate used to get these Cohiba cigars from the Canary Islands they were dirt cheap over there, really good cigars best I have ever had.

I used to smoke roll ups in my early 20's, only for a year or two, I got addicted to tobacco from smoking the "other stuff" in joints, which my mother warned me about (getting addicted to the tobacco that is) but I didnt listen of course. I dont smoke anything now other than the odd cigar.

I now, literally less than once a year, usually get a nice cigar and smoke it I do enjoy it, I dont inhale either, I dont think you are supposed to anyway, so I am comfortable with any associated risk.

I might actually smoke one tonight come to think of it, given the occasion, I think it will be the first one I have smoked for a couple of years now. I think I have some hamlet or cafe creme or something in a drawer somewhere I am sure, obviously not a great cigar but whatever.

Back
Top Bottom