1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Top Gear", Season 24/25/26 thread

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Django x2, 4 Feb 2017.

1. Dup

Capodecina

Some of the best segments of TG have been the tributes/educational pieces and the smaller challenges with some outside assistance. For me, one of the best automotive episodes I've watched in years.

I can imagine it was emotional for him. Probably too easy to read into someone in that position, in reality it's very hard to tell from the outside. He clearly knows Terry Grant going by their exchange at the end, it was quite intimate, I'm sure after all these years he's come to terms with his position. It was a tribute to him with all his family involved, he's an old man now whose legacy has long gone quiet. These big stunts and shows were headline news back in the day becasue they were unusual, now it's less mainstream but with a bigger more accessible following. He inspired a fair few careers I'm sure of that.

It was a well timed and thoughtful piece that I enjoyed. Brought back some memories of some old VHS in the 90s full of big stunts and crashes from all over the world and I certainly remember some of his efforts being among them.

2. Glanza

Capodecina

Enjoyed it and good start to the season, the Eddie segment was a good introduction to a person I'd not heard of before. Surprised to see they left cuts in of Freddie trying to get the crowd to cheer at Silverstone.

3. ChrisD.

Caporegime

I thought it was an excellent episode.

4. Will Gill

Don

Agreed :)

5. adam cool dude

Capodecina

Best episode the new lot have done by far.

I will be honest I never knew who Eddie Kid was but was a fantastic tribute.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2021
  6. NathWraith

Capodecina

Stayed away from Top Gear after the horrendous post trio revival. But watched the latest episode and did enjoy it.

I don’t like that they are making Chris Harris the butt of all the jokes for being “geeky”.

The Vantage F1 is not a “trackday special” like the Alfa or McLaren in anyway. Even Aston themselves said this, it’s just a slightly warmer Vantage with some suspension tweaks and a wing.

7. NathWraith

Capodecina

I too thought this but then I am I just looking at the bad in things? After all the guy did have all his motorbike memorabilia around his home so must of enjoyed his passion still.

8. Rroff

Man of Honour

Vulcan is a bit difficult to get hold of though :s

9. coupe69

Mobster

Believe it or not there's still plenty of people that like to watch more programs on the Beeb than the ones Mr & Mrs theone8181 want to watch. Just because your viewing habits have changed over the years doesn't mean everyone else's has.

10. Diddums

Capodecina

I'd all but given up on TG, but following the reports in here I thought I'd give it a go. Probably the best episode since the old boys left. I also never heard of Eddie Kidd (what with me being a filthy job stealing immigrant and all) but that was a proper tribute. I can see why some people are saying it's cringy with him sitting in his chair, but for me that's irrelevant - if he enjoyed it, and the audience enjoyed it, then job done.

11. Andrew_McP

Mobster

Ok, just caught up with this week's episode. My brother had the Evel Knievel bike and I recognise Eddie Kidd's face & some of the clips, but trying to kill yourself on bikes has never featured on my list of things to be impressed by. However I was in bits watching that tribute to him. There's obviously awkwardness there, and the potential to destabilise whatever fragile mental equilibrium he's in these days, but I think giving the guy a chance to be celebrated again is, on balance, a great thing. It's not as if he's got rid of all traces of the life that put him in that condition.

Great TV IMO.

12. SupraWez

Mobster

Fired up iPlayer to watch this, enjoyed it especially the McLaren, Aston was alright but the Alfa looks like it crashed into Hafrauds chav corner.

Chris Harris is great, Flintoff is so so, that other fella should find another line of work.

Did feel sad for Eddie, wheeling him out and putting on a massive display of things he loves but hasn't been able to do for such a long time.

13. jpaul

Capodecina

14. Desmo

Soldato

Never heard of Eddie Kidd? Hell, I'm old enough to have seen him in action and I'm only 46 :D

15. Scania

Caporegime

After last weeks great effort, this (S31, E2) was dire.

Chris Harris in the Huracan STO was epic as he simply is, the rest, a waste of viewing time tbh.

16. ahenners

Wise Guy

The "hot laps" were quite entertaining but the rest was a bit meh.

17. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Yeah, I have to admit to finding the hot laps more amusing than they probably actually were!

18. Diddums

Capodecina

That was awful. Even the lambo bit felt stretched and drawn out, we skipped a few mins of it in the end. Tosh, they need to get their act together.

19. SDK^

Capodecina

It’s a family entertainment show, not car geeks guide to engines :p

20. Diddums

Capodecina

Exactly, the Lambo part lacked any entertainment, it was just Harris hooning it for far too long. That segment should've been half the length imo.