The "Top Gear", Season 24/25/26 thread

Soldato
Enjoyed it - esp quality of filming , does not seem to be available in 4k at all, although its on amazon.
they are ploughing their own furrow now, the Clarkson et al. 'humour' meh.

Compared to usa <2milliion viewers for grand tour , their UK viewers of 2.5, seems good, can only imagine what production cost difference is too. ... RIP soon TGT ?
Bezos has better things to do with his money

Associate
That reverse with only camera gag...what?!!? Felt a complete after thought and just thrown in because Rory needed screen time...

That camping trip I thought was great! :D

Associate
I'm much prefer the Grand Tour if I'm being honest. It's still got that sense of adventure which I find the current Top Gear lacking.

I find Rory is antagonistic just for the sake of it, and it doesn't seem genuine. Chris is slightly awkward, but I do enjoy his geeky input (e.g. cross vs flat plane crank talk from episode 1). With Matt I'm struggling to see his passion as he comes across as an actor still which shadows his own personality (and he's fell in to the trap of being the stereotypical American).

Rather than Top Gear trying to compete with the Grand Tour I feel they should focus more on serious car reviews and fun in affordable cars, rather than supercar after supercar. I want to see cars such as the Hyundai i20 N and a focus on grass roots motor sport, stuff that is going to inspire a new generation of car ethusiasts.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I dont think TG is competing with TGT, TG the show is doing what its always done. For me TGT is the disappointment, with the huge budget and hype, they could have taken TGT to a whole new level, but they simply havent, the 3 old blokes larking about isnt as funny as it was 10 years ago, all they have added to the mix is swearing on screen :p

Soldato
That reverse with only camera gag...what?!!? Felt a complete after thought and just thrown in because Rory needed screen time...

I wonder sometimes they have an idea, which sounds reasonable on paper, but then is terrible in practise... but then why leave it in the show?

I don't enjoy so much the actual car stuff as much, more the messing about, so didn't enjoy the McLaren stuff as much as hunting bigfoot. Also, does Harris have a bike license? Kind of an unfair race tbh, but also looked like Matt was quite at home on a dirt bike.

Caporegime
This weeks was the best TG episode they've done in ages, I skipped the 20 minute celeb part as is tradition. Some of those toys especially the dirt bikes I'd never seen before.

Lee Mack was pretty funny, as you know, you'd expect from a comedian. Top Gear gets a lot of genuinely funny guests on; it makes a big difference to the trying-too-hard segments of The Grand Tour.

This week was a weaker episode, I thought, fun but a bit lacking. The reversing camera bit would have been a nice addition to a segment on those city cars but felt bunged in as a pointless short on its own. I love all the bonkers vehicles they have on, I think it's a pity they dropped the segment with Matt showcasing all sorts of weird industrial/agricultural vehicles.

Permabanned
Lee Mack was pretty funny, as you know, you'd expect from a comedian. Top Gear gets a lot of genuinely funny guests on; it makes a big difference to the trying-too-hard segments of The Grand Tour.

This week was a weaker episode, I thought, fun but a bit lacking. The reversing camera bit would have been a nice addition to a segment on those city cars but felt bunged in as a pointless short on its own. I love all the bonkers vehicles they have on, I think it's a pity they dropped the segment with Matt showcasing all sorts of weird industrial/agricultural vehicles.

Everyone jumped on me when I said I was annoyed they'd brought guests into TGT.

I found Celebrity Brain Crash to be properly funny and enjoyed them taking the mick out of the ever-annoying celeb section on the "old" top gear...

I watched the first celeb section in S2 of TGT... almost always skipped through it on TG... did actually watch this one as I saw it was Lee Mack and thought it would get the odd giggle.

At least it was short, unlike before, and there was a giggle or two... still, I'd much rather they got rid of this section.

In case anyone is wondering... both TG and TGT get paid to have these sections in their shows... they're usually promotions and they're not small payments, either.

Man of Honour
I think it's a pity they dropped the segment with Matt showcasing all sorts of weird industrial/agricultural vehicles.

Was certainly some potential with that segment - halve the current time spent on the celeb stuff and use the other half on something like that would be ideal.

Back
Top Bottom