The "toy" for Christmas 2011

Soldato
OP
Christmas is about family and togetherness (once you remove the religious crap)

For most people, they love seeing the look on their kids/parents/partners face when they unwrap their presents, the actual present is almost insignificant.

I'm thinking of getting my girlfriend an iPad 2 since it's cheaper than the camera stuff she actually wants, either that or sex toys lol

Soldato
Because the whole thing about Christmas is opening the box of your new toy as well, it's just my opinion of course but just getting the actual toy in wrapping paper wouldn't be how I would want my child to experience Christmas.

If money is tight (by no means are me or my partner rolling in money) then surely the responsible thing to do is, just moderate how much you buy your child?

So you suggest instead of getting the child 5 gifts that are second hand and in perfectly good condition, potentially in boxes too, you should only get them one or two new ones to make yourself feel better for not giving your child used toys?

As a child I couldn't care less about the boxes. Someone could have given me a Tesco's bag with 20 toy cars in without boxes and I'd have still thought they were the coolest person on the planet because they bought me toys.

And do you really want your child growing up with the mentality that it is the value and newness of the gift that matters more than the thought and the actual gift?

I'm thinking of getting my girlfriend an iPad 2 since it's cheaper than the camera stuff she actually wants, either that or sex toys lol

Does she actually want an iPad though? Would not giving her a "we can go shopping to Jessops" voucher or something not mean that you can put your chunk toward the kit she wants and let her pay the rest?

Last edited:
Caporegime
No what I am saying is that for me and my girlfriend personally we prefer to give our children the experience of opening new toys on Christmas day. Are you trying to say you have to buy your child everything they want for Christmas?

And if money is tight we would naturally restrict the amount of presents that are bought.

It's nothing to do with making myself feel better about buying new presents. Maybe it's down to the way I was bought up, my mother never had much money, but I never got second hand toys at Christmas I just didn't get a lot, but what I did get I was most greatful for.

Soldato
OP
Does she actually want an iPad though? Would not giving her a "we can go shopping to Jessops" voucher or something not mean that you can put your chunk toward the kit she wants and let her pay the rest?

She wants a replacement for her old laptop, I'm thinking if I trade in her laptop, even if I only get £100 for it, thats £100 off an iPad

Permabanned
what parent's are going to daft enough to buy there kids ipad 2's

Bakugan = toy
ipad 2 = not a toy

Doesn't that depend entirely on the age of your children. I suspect we will buy my 12 year old a tablet of some description, those are the hints he is dropping currently anyway.

Soldato
Not sure what I want tbh. My birthday is in 3 weeks time too :D I'm 16,gonna be 17, so no kids and stuff.

As I said, not sure what I want. I'm buying Res 3: SE pretty soon, and that costs 100 euros, maybe they can get me the Resistance reading book like last year and a few more stuff,BUT I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOLD OF IT! I always tell them, chose what you want, and they always get me good stuff.

I am terrible at choosing presents though :p For my sister, she normally tells me the exact thing to buy, for mum, my sister buys and I chip in, and for dad, my mum buys and I chip in.

Last year, just so I buy my gf a good present, I went out with a few of her friends (not in that way :p) just to buy her a ring that they thought she would like. Was pretty expensive too, but now that the gf is gone, I get to keep my money :D

Caporegime
No what I am saying is that for me and my girlfriend personally we prefer to give our children the experience of opening new toys on Christmas day. Are you trying to say you have to buy your child everything they want for Christmas?

And if money is tight we would naturally restrict the amount of presents that are bought.

It's nothing to do with making myself feel better about buying new presents. Maybe it's down to the way I was bought up, my mother never had much money, but I never got second hand toys at Christmas I just didn't get a lot, but what I did get I was most greatful for.
and thats your choice if someone else wants to buy second hand toys what has that got to do wit you?

anyone with comments like "oh its dirty "flea market eww gross" comments need to get a grip

only second hand thing ive ever bought btw is a maro gameboy game a few years back but my sister has tons of second hand toys her house is like a nursery her kids never complained once

Soldato
Dream present (for birthday though, not Christmas) would be a ticket (and flights) to go watch Roma v Lazio, on the 17th of October, and my birthday is on the 14th :D Not gonna come though because parents are a bit tight on cash, and its understandable.

Ugh, now I want to see what I'm getting because of you guys!

Permabanned
Found a receipt from 1996 for a Sega Saturn from Comet with 3 games £250, cant believe how much I was spoilt with that for Christmas of 96.

Now I am happy with a box of chocolates, a dvd or book and some beers, rather spend the day with family and friends and having a nice home cooked meal.

Nothing wrong with 2nd hand, just got rid of loads of toys my niece got for xmas/bday and took them all to a chairty shop.

Soldato
OP
anyone with comments like "oh its dirty "flea market eww gross" comments need to get a grip

I think we need to state the difference between 2nd hand, used and as you put it "flea market"

2nd hand/Used does not neccessarily mean it's chipped and broken. I bought 2 iPhones as used off ebay and they were still in their boxes, still had the screen protectors on. They only think they didn't have was the wrapping on the outside of the box, big deal.

Flea market way, I'd expect a few rips, tears, chipped paint, scratches on something, however I bought a leather jacket from a "flea market" and although its a bit scratched it was dirt cheap

Caporegime
and thats your choice if someone else wants to buy second hand toys what has that got to do wit you?

only second hand thing ive ever bought btw is a maro gameboy game a few years back but my sister has tons of second hand toys her house is like a nursery her kids never complained once

100% agree it is nothing to do with me ,it just strikes me as odd that is all, as I have never heard of anyone I know buying 2nd hand stuff for Christmas presents.

btw opinions are like ********* everyone has the right to be one! :p

Don't get me wrong, 2nd hand stuff has it's place and I do not think for one moment it's "dirty, flea market etc", just not something I personally would do at Christmas.

Soldato

I never said you have to buy them everything they want. In general they want the world and or utter **** that they'll get bored of in 2 minutes and so giving them all of it just isn't prudent.

A child simply doesn't give a hoot about the gift being new or not unless its blatantly obvious that some other kid has been dribbling on it. I just don't understand why in times of financial trouble you would rather give your child one brand new toy rather than several perfectly good used toys.

Even ignoring the fact that the bigger the box or the more they have to open the happier they are, they are going to get bored faster with one gift than with 2 and at no financial difference to the buyer.

I'm not saying all gifts should be used but there are plenty of examples where it would be fine. If my kid wanted some Scalextric for Christmas for example but we were a bit hard up for cash my options might be to buy a small figure 8 set from a shop brand new or a second hand still boxed set that is much larger from ebay. Lets be honest, which one is the child going to a) be happier with and b) get more use out of? all for the same outlay.

Consciously or not, the only person that feels better about a child getting new toys instead of used ones is the person buying them. The child doesn't care.

I'm not having a go so much as trying to understand your mentality.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure why people are bashing second hand so much.

We have one second hand toy (Got it a week ago) for Christmas for my son.

It's a "Sit and ride" electric ferrari. In great condition and got it for the awesome price of £35 (Brand new it would have cost £150+)

Then again, we never planned to get him one in the first place, it was only because of the great deal we got it.

Soldato
OP
I think the stigma with second hand isdue to the fact that when I think of second hand, I think out-dated/broken hammydown. I know thats not the case for everyone but thats what springs to mind with me

Permabanned
My 6 year old is getting:

Lego Harbour
Giant Bakugan dragon that combines from lots of Bakugan
Various Ben 10 figures (with disc for his Omnitrix
A new Sonic Duvet set
Various other little presents

My three old is getting:
Deluxe Optimus Prime leader Transformer (I am more excited for this TBH)
Lego lorry with speed boat
Bakugan
Hot wheels
Transformers duvet set
and again various other little presents

I would never buy a child an iPad 2.

WTS my parents :x

I never got anything like that when I was little :(

Soldato
OP
IMO nobody "needs" a tablet, I think they're pointless, especially when you consider capacities/cost against a netbook.

BTW, everything you listed, movies, music etc... an iPod Touch can do, a lot cheaper, and a Desktop PC can do, a lot cheaper!

Soldato
Why does anyone 'need' a tablet?

A 12 year old could use it to watch movies, listen to music, send and receive e-mails, browse the Internet, play games, perhaps do some homework on it, etc.

You missed of the biggest reason a 12 year old boy might want a tablet/laptop... we all know what it is. I wonder how those of us who grew up with the internet in our teenage years will deal with their teenage boys when the time comes. In fact it might be thread worthy.

Back
Top Bottom