1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Trump presidency

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by datalol-jack, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Amp34

Caporegime

Because it’s part of border security. There’s a difference between integrating barriers in some locations and building an entire 2000 mile barrier. You know there is already several hundred miles of barrier on the border right?

As already said last week, border security and building additional barriers was part of Clinton’s/democrat last campaign. Building a 2000 mile concrete wall was not.

To repeat for the final time, it’s not border security or politics that’s the issue here, it’s Trumps proposed implementation of it.

2. Trusty

Capodecina

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019
  3. garnett

Mobster

Lol. All of that is to ignore that what Trump's slowly retreating to is what Obama already had in place, and wholly contradicts his campaign rhetoric.
    You said it, nobody else.

4. StarShock

Wise Guy

It is fun that the oldest story about defensive walls is about How they don't work

Edit - thinking on it, are there any stories about walls working? All the famous walls I can think of failed

5. wesimmo

Wise Guy

That article is from 2014 when the numbers of people being caught were massively higher than today.

Anyway, we now know the real reason for the wall, Trump wants to keep people in America, they're losing too many people through the Southern border.

He's such a halfwit.

6. VincentHanna

Capodecina

I'm assuming he means due to drug related deaths.

7. garnett

Mobster

His tweets are like a window to his flitting, incoherent, disjointed stream of consciousness.
    That's so true. Thinking about it, it's as though Trump is the bad example in the first half of every cautionary tale!

8. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

The Korean one works but that is just full of soldiers with gantries and landmines over the whole thing and the punishment when caught isn't jailed and deported, it's death. I have never heard anyone tries it due to that, they all try to go to China instead.

9. Rifte

Mobster

For Trump the victory is more important than the cost and the casualties.

He will continue to double down over this shut down, and the further he follows the strong arm tactic, the further he moves away from backing away and saving face.

The Democrats must know this, unless they have a quick resolvable legal challenge up their sleeve to force the issue, they should back away and let him have his money.

This constant game of chicken only has one loser at the moment.

As many have stated with the wall, its not going to work anyway!

10. Yas786

Caporegime

What on earth are you gibbering on about?? :confused:

What does where I am from have to do with anything:confused:

So just like that orange orangutan in the WH, you can’t even answer back to what I said but rather deflect...well done well done ;).

11. doodah

Capodecina

That's actually brilliant. It's Trump's fault so the Democrats should concede, that definitely won't set a bad precedent.

12. Rifte

Mobster

Do you see Trump ever conceding despite being wrong? I do not see any scenario where this will happen.

The issue of a precedent is irrelevant. Trump does not need a precedent to assess whether his techniques will work or not, he will just do it anyway.

Anyone with a normal line of morality would have backed down by down, I don't believe he will.

Trump is one of a kind, the US will learn its lesson after his tenure.

13. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

What's this?

Gives up on the argument then do a massive turn and try to change the subject to something totally unrelated to the thread? i.e. Trump?

Pleaseeeee, you got to try harder than that.

Agreed, Trump does not play by traditions, he does not play by rules. He does what he wants and it is up to us to keep him in check.

The ironic thing is that he is meant to represent the GOP, a conservative party, the ones that hold dear to the founding fathers' rules and law...but only when it suits him.

14. doodah

Capodecina

And if he gets his reward, he will know he can do it again, and again and again. More tax cuts for the rich? Government shut down until I get my way? Won't pass the USMCA, government shut down. How do you treat children in this situation?

15. Rifte

Mobster

I genuinely believe he would do it again anyway, even if he lost.

He does not abide by any metric that you or I may consider normal.

Everything he is doing at the moment there is not much of a precedent for, but he is still doing it anyway.

When disciplining children, the stakes are not usually this high.

16. doodah

Capodecina

I can only imagine the froth, blood, furore and political warfare if Obama or any other Democrat even thought of this for a split second.

17. Rifte

Mobster

Agreed, however I genuinely wonder if the employees in the departments that are not getting paid are still happy for the Democrats to hold firm because Trump is a narcissistic idiot.

Don't get me wrong this is Trump's doing, not the Democrats, but someone has to back down, and there is no reasoning with the unreasonable.

18. doodah

Capodecina

The polls still favour the Democrats by almost 20 points. The GOP control 2 branches, have had 3 shut downs in the last year or so, are on course to make this the longest shut down and even passed a bill to fund the the government in the short term in both houses. They own this and the public largely know it, bar that rock of around a 1/3 of adults/voters.

19. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

The question the GOP will need to ask themselves is that is the 36-38% enough to win their next election?

They really have to look hard into that and realised they have lost the independents and the way they are going they are going to lose by a landslide and set them back a decade.

But Mitch McConnel is too much of a whipping boy to stand up to Trump, he has the power in him to turn the GOP against Trump and leave him high and dry but he is too cowardice to grow a backbone and instead he is keeping his head down over this whole thing, he hasn't said a single word in the past month.

20. doodah

Capodecina

It feels weird calling McConnell a whipping boy :p - I see him as extremely dangerous and calculated.

And to answer your question, they could do it. What, it's been 2 of the last 5 elections that had the candidate with fewer votes win? Couple that with their rampant voter suppression, gerrymandering and some very favourable courts - it's not out of reach.

And even if they lose, they have the judges they appointed for the next generation.