1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Trump presidency

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by datalol-jack, Nov 21, 2016.

1. FTM

Soldato

do you think he just forgets things he said...like making mexico pay for the all, or does he think other people will have forgotten?

2. Sleepery

Sgarrista

I think he got away with saying whatever he wanted for so long in business that now he's in politics he can't stop his mouth from getting him into trouble.

3. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Soldato

I do, I think its because he doesn't think before he opens his mouth. he goes on gut instinct, which has its place, but its not for the President.

4. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Mexico has already paid for the wall with all the monies the US takes off them for stuffs and now it is the democrats that wont give him that money back. Do keep up.:p

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 4:28 PM
  5. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Trump isn't behaving like an autocrat, he's behaving like the fascist he is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_fire

6. Fairly sure the answer is no

Sgarrista

Exactly my point. Either Obama said it first so trump didn't think of this great idea, or Obama is talking about something else

7. Kyo

Mobster

Couldnt agree more. If he gets his way this will be his one trick pony to getting what he wants when he wants. He doesnt care what happens to the people as it doesnt affect him. So piling it down to the democrats to back down when he dug himself into a corner will let him off the hook.

Going by that logic does that mean, China, UK, Europe and why not the world has paid for the wall too. It beyond silly how we are all trying to rationalise what the orange booger meant then interprete what he actually said when he can just change his mind/intent/meaning/lies/reality in a moments notice. It yet another example where his mouth has dug another hole and then as usual he has taken zero responsibility and lets everyone fill it for him. Ever the Con man with his bag of tricks but now on a presidential scale.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 4:02 PM
  8. doodah

Capodecina

Dog meet whistle.

9. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Those "profit" don't go to the US government, it goes to the people and companies who do businesses with Mexico, i.e. the Taxpayers. So basically what you end up with is the taxpayers are paying for it. Not Mexico.

Do keep up.

10. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Just in case.

11. timmeh

Mobster

Prepping to announce a national emergency then.

12. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

If Trump is going to call a lot of National Emergency every time Nancy say No to him, which there will be plenty.

It’s going to be an amazing 2 years.

13. doodah

Capodecina

If Chuck Grassley is saying it's a bad idea, it probably is.

14. Trusty

Sgarrista

Where was the question though?

15. Trusty

Sgarrista

No, what are you talking about. go check the stats.

~45,000 per month are apprehended across the border on average. Ranges from 30,000 to 70,000 depending on the year/month.

it seems insane to me.

This was on the BBC the other day.

https://imgur.com/a/4m6oRB1

It seems pretty consistent..

.. obviously getting a really accurate figure is difficult because they cant stop everyone

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 8:16 PM
  16. Flibster

Caporegime

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 9:39 PM
  17. drunkenmaster

Caporegime

You unfortunately kept that next line in, illegal immigration is MASSIVELY down over the past decade. Republicans didn't want to build a wall a decade ago, neither did democrats and illegal crossings, illegal immigration went down massively over that period. There is no crisis, there is no problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44319094

Would this be why you cut and cropped one image but left of the one that says it was 1.6billion migrants on the US mexico border in 2000, and it's been steadily around the 300-400k mark since 2010 and declined fairly steadily to that point.

There is no sudden uptick, there is dramatically less activity on the southern border than in the past, like massively less. Absolutely no one at all except Trump believes there is a crisis. Illegal immigration is down, for a few years now the net total of immigrants means more illegals are crossing the border back into mexico than are crossing into the states. It's been that way for a few years and again back when the numbers were drastically higher, many more people were staying and there was a net flow of people into the US, it's literally gotten to the point where for every illegal immigrant that goes across, 1 or more go back across the boarder.

This excusing the fact that both illegal immigrants and legal immigrants commit LESS crimes than the native population. THere isn't some massive wave where everyone crossing is a dangerous psychopath, most who try to stay permanently want a life away from crime ridden areas in Mexico, they want better lives and are willing to work for them. They also make up the vast majority of those who work on farms and other places that can't afford legal wages. Meaning stopping them crossing would actually damage the economy pretty badly with many many farms failing due to increasing cost of workers and simply lack of supply of workers. Americans don't want to work in the fields for terrible pay.

There is no crisis, illegal immigration is WAY WAY down, net migration is way way way down to the point where it's a non issue, crime of immigrants is a non issue.

The actual issues like terrorists being caught almost exclusively come through sea and air ports yet he wants to pee away money on a wall that won't help at all, as in it will literally achieve nothing at all while during his shut down security at airports and docks is worsened due to staff not being paid and not showing up.

Most importantly that 5 billion, which people seem to forget is the FIRST of MANY MANY payments that would be required for the wall, would do drastically more for border security by being spent on security personnel for sea and air ports in america.

Trump is 'in' construction... and he's trying to get a worthless wall built, ask yourself by who and where the money goes, when every single study, every single security/intelligence officer in the states says a wall won't help border security in the slightest.

Walls can be scaled, walls can be broken, walls can be dug under... as the existing walls and fences... and the massive majority of illegal immigrants are those who overstay their visas, not those who cross the borders illegally.

18. Trusty

Sgarrista

Yeah, it is way down. No doubt to increased border security, so the previous administrations attempt of a several pronged approach has obviously worked to some degree. I think we can agree on that.

Why was it called a crisis in 2014 then? 60,000 to 70,000 apprehensions per month in 2014. 60,000 to 70,000 apprehensions per month from the end of last year to the start of this year.

Why are they calling it a crisis then but not now?

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/06/...system-overwhelmed-by-women-and-children.html

There is plenty of articles about it if you use the search settings for 2014

Human trafficking is on the rise, so i dont understand your view that just because security has got better means they can stop. If human trafficking is on the rise on the souther border, surely you would agree the job is not finished?

And what do you mean democrats/republicans didnt want to build a barrier a decade ago?
    Yes they did, they passed a bill for $40 billion a few years ago, Bush created the security fence act in 2006
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Fence_Act_of_2006
    https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1079165168976838658

I wish people would stop peddling this idea that barriers dont work. Of course they do..
    It may not be fool proof, but to say it wont make any difference is just deluded..

It'll help create choke points, (THOUGHT EXPERIMENT) i wonder what would happen to human trafficking if you had 1 choke point across the whole border instead of no barrier at all?

Would human trafficking go up or down? Obviously it would go down. You're not that moronic to say otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 10:54 PM
  19. doodah

Capodecina

Trump's third year was also going to be a nightmarish car crash because of Mueller and the Democrats taking the House, and yet he's managed to beat both of them from day one.

20. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

It was an humanitarian crisis of women and children. Trump’s idea of a crisis is that they are rapist and murderers.

Do you know the difference?

Trump also said “I will call a national emergency if Nancy don’t approve the wall”

That some proves it’s not a crisis, no crisis can be vanished in an instant with a political decision. A hurricane don’t change course because Nancy Polosi say something. A national crisis is not as a result of politics. Trump is fabricating this crisis all by himself. There has been no caravan invasion and there has not been an invasion of any kind. The numbers is the lowest it is in 20 years and if it is a crisis then why Trump didn’t call it the minute it step into office? Why wait until the numbers are lower? Or is it he got called out on by a couple of radio hosts and he got butt hurt?