1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Trump presidency

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by datalol-jack, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Rroff

Man of Honour

Iran doesn't want Russia there - maybe that will change if their backs are truly to the wall but they are opposed to any potential occupation of the country whether that is from the US or potentially Russia.

Yeah all their threats have been directed at wiping Israel off the map. Realistically they only have one shot and I believe though can't be certain that they know that so if they ever did use a weapon of mass destruction it would be against Israel.

I don't really have enough insight into the mentality of those running Iran to know the likelihood of using a nuke given the capacity to do so but I know that isn't something supported by most every day Iranians. (EDIT: Actually not even sure there - all the Iranians I've met have had very similar views against the leadership of both Iran and the US and a desire to see peace in the middle east but that is probably part of the reason I've met them not in Iran).

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. Jokester

Don

I can’t see any reason why Iran would want to be turned into Afghanistan.

3. doodah

Capodecina

Kris Kobach has some supposedly subtle demands for Trump if he were to become his immigration tsar....

4. DisrupTor75

Wise Guy

As far as I am aware Russia & Iran are allies (not sure as to the strength of that alliance) so Iran's best option may be to offer Russia, or China, a deal in return for them having a presence in Iran itself. Seems the only thing that can shield Iran from US aggression is another nuclear power willing to stare down America.

5. Rroff

Man of Honour

Allies yes but Iran won't (willingly) let anyone establish a presence in their country friend or foe - for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamadan_Airbase

6. wesimmo

Wise Guy

It'll be China, they're less concerned about overt military strength abroad than owning half the planet.

Trump is pushing an isolationist and antagonistic path while his competitors are expanding their influence, not only is he making America stagnate, he's accelerating the economic subjugation of the world by China.

7. Trusty

Capodecina

He's doing the opposite actually, this is what the whole trade war, if you want to call it that, is about. Curbing China and opening them to be more transparent..

This isnt exactly coming from the Trump administration as well, this is big corps that are pushing Trump to deal with China. It's been put off for far too long. Short term pain, long term gain is the story of this trade war.

Its why you have Google banning Huawei

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48330310

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  8. Conscript

Sgarrista

I thought Google banned Huawei because of the actions of his administration?

From that link: "The move comes after the Trump administration added Huawei to a list of companies that American firms cannot trade with unless they have a licence."

I wouldn't have thought that the producer of one of the most popular mobile operating systems on the planet would have much commercial interest in limiting trade with what is now one of the largest smartphone producers on the planet.

Also: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48360373

"Some of the world's biggest footwear firms are urging Donald Trump to end the US trade war with China, warning of a "catastrophic" effect on consumers.
    In a letter signed by 173 companies, including Nike and Adidas, they said the president's decision to hike import tariffs to 25% will disproportionately impact the working class.
    They also warn that higher levies threaten the future of some businesses.
    "It is time to bring this trade war to an end," the firms urged."

If, as you claim, big corporations are behind this trade war, why would so many of them be urging the administration to end it?

9. doodah

Capodecina

Any one see Ben Carson's latest calamity (don't forget he also broke the law with his spending habits at HUD)? Carson has to go down as one of the worst and most ineffective cabinet secs.

Would love to know how his former brain surgery patients are doing.....

10. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Confusing REO with Oreo's?

11. doodah

Capodecina

Yeah and his general disregard for his job or the lives it affects, smirking at one point. Probably some manufactured gotcha questions but he's such a easy target - he should try doing some research.

12. Yas786

Caporegime

And Amway as well:p. How in the holy hell did this pile of crap ever become a brain surgeon?? He’s been snorting too much of his own anaesthesia lol.

It was hilarious trying to reclaim his time back and promptly told to get back in his box. Even smirked about it.

13. viathinair

Wise Guy

I'm thinking Ben is doing fine from Trump & co.'s perspectives. As HUD oversees real estate and such, probably Trump and/or his friends' business interests are benefiting from Ben's incompetence or corruption.

14. wesimmo

Wise Guy

What made me laugh was when the congresswoman said, to paraphrase, "for god's sake, we went through this last year, are you honestly saying you haven't even read up on something you got caught out with before?"

15. doodah

Capodecina

Finally - some of the wall was built last year......a whopping 1.7 miles :p.
    Can't wait to see how he spins his wall achievements when the election cycle really heats up.

16. timmeh

Mobster

Rex Tillerson had a lengthy meeting with the House Foreign Affairs Committee yesterday - https://www.thedailybeast.com/rex-t...house-foreign-affairs-committee-to-talk-trump

I think that's been pretty obvious :shrug:

17. StriderX

Capodecina

Just $1.2 trillion more to go...

18. kinetic747

Wise Guy

It wouldn't matter if it was 1.7 metres, he'd just lie and his base would cheer and throw their maga hats in the air, they're really that dumb.

19. doodah

Capodecina

My favourite GOP Senator is practically writing the script for her rival(s) next year.
    This was from Susan Collins, a deciding vote on Kavanaugh's confirmation. Some of the backers in Alabama's recent abortion bill have directly/indirectly admitted they did with the sole intention of getting it up to the SC (it should be noted - they might simply ignore and throw it back down). Of the 5 SC votes that would likely repeal Roe v Wade - she has voted for 4 of them with the only exception been because he was voted in before she ran for Senate.

20. JRS

Capodecina

Trumplethinskin has gone completely off the rails now, holding an impromptu presser and attacking the media, Dems, full-on Princess Stampyfoot meltdown...