1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Trump presidency

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by datalol-jack, Nov 21, 2016.

1. plasmahal

Wise Guy

OK, I'll go out on a limb and say his comment 'Now it’s like come on in. Here’s the keys to your new house. Your new car' is somewhat tongue in cheek and not a statement of fact.

I think his point is more around illegal immigrants getting social welfare etc predominately from sanctuary cities or states.

We all know it's morally good to help those less fortunate than us, but if we don't have laws and also uphold them, it's then a spiral towards the collapse of a civilised society.

We all know the majority of those illegally crossing the border in the US are not Mexican but if they are genuinely seeking asylum, why are they not doing so in the first safe country they get to (in most cases Mexico).

Someone please answer that question rationally.

2. doodah

Capodecina

No one took it as literal but the sentiment is there. They were provided evidence that migration benefits the economy and when asked to back up their claim/respond to evidence contradicting their claim - they threw a hissy fit and disappeared. It's rarely ever honest debating in here with the likes pro-Brexiters and Trump defenders.

3. Greebo

Caporegime

And his point was answered by several people that studies have shown these immigrants work harder than native people but he just keeps saying we are missing his point. Nobody knows what his point is

4. GordyR

Mobster

That's what most of us presumed. Which is why several people explained that they had seen no evidence to support that view, and a plethora of evidence to contradict it.

But since this is supposed to be constructive debate, rather than being immediately dismissed, he was instead asked to provide some evidence to support this claim.

That way we could properly evaluate it, debate it, weigh it up against the other evidence it contradicts, and if convincing enough, adjust our own views as necessary.

Instead he kept telling us that we were "missing the point".

What point?

I've purposefully stayed out of this thread until now, but the cognitive biases, logical fallacies, and extreme dishonesty, appear to me to be exactly the same between the two.

5. JeditOjanen

Mobster

You mean the idiot sandwich? Yes, you're sandwiched between Klinck and Freakbro, but I'm not sure why you'd bring it up.

6. doodah

Capodecina

When is the last time anyone heard from Mike Pence, he's mastered laying low and nodding behind Trump on stage.

7. plasmahal

Wise Guy

A bit like Joe Biden in the Obama years.

8. doodah

Capodecina

Ha you're probably right though Pence was a lot more vocal in the first year than he is now. One might assume mother has something to do with it.

9. Greebo

Caporegime

He's visiting the UK and Boris next week or so I heard on radio 4 this morning to further discuss the terms of payment for the free, quick trade deal Bolton offered yesterday. I wonder just how much "sovereignty" BJ and his cronies are prepared to give away just to make a no deal brexit slightly less damaging?

Rumours are that US want UK to pull out of Iran deal, enforce sanctions, ban Huaweii and back US with tariffs on China. So basically annoy and upset France, Germany and China making it even harder to do trade with them post brexit in exchange for a quick and easy FTA with the US.

If BJ gives the US any of that then every person who voted leave on the basis of "Sovereignty" should hold their head in shame.

10. doodah

Capodecina

Wow! Can't wait to see how Boris spins all of those terrible ideas.

We seemed to have gone from the back of the queue to the front - we are an easy target with some juicy morsels.

11. Mr Badger

Soldato

Getting us into a war with Iran and sticking two fingers up to China is just what the UK needs right now. We can get some national pride back (like when we sank the General Belgrano) and it will stop everyone moaning about the rationing and all the farmers going bust/commiting suicide. Trump won't take advantage of the situation to screw us over and our young ladies will be glad to see GIs back here in force with their chocolate and nylons.

Just had a great idea! Boris should bring back national service - the oldies will love voting for that.

12. doodah

Capodecina

Oh look Trump blinked and delayed some of the tariffs.

13. Colonel_Klinck

Hitman

I'm curious was that Fox "news" programming or opinion so Hannity, Carlson, Ingraham?

Sadly the over the top delivery seems to be what draws viewers in and so that is what the likes of Fox, MSNBC and CNN deliver.

14. Colonel_Klinck

Hitman

Wait why am I in his **** sandwich?

Because its a "**** hole country" that isn't much safer than the country they left. Have you been to Mexico? I have and its corrupt as ****, has massive problems with poverty and crime. The US is a victim of its own success. Of course people want to go there because they want a better life. If any of us were in their position we'd do exactly the same. The thing is this "immigrants are bad" argument Trump and some of the Brexit lot put up is crap. They aren't why jobs move abroad, they don't take the jobs people want to do. They are just an easy target for politicians to use to focus people's anger. And in any case these are the people Trump hires to work at his resorts. The hypocrisy stinks.

15. JeditOjanen

Mobster

You're not in it, is the point. Muffins brought up the meme and your post like it was some amazing own, when actually he was calling himself an idiot.

16. wesimmo

Wise Guy

17. Trusty

Capodecina

18. wesimmo

Wise Guy

Care to explain?

Want to buy some magic beans?

19. The Geezer

Wise Guy

20. plasmahal

Wise Guy