1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Trump presidency

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by datalol-jack, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Bubo

Soldato

Yeah, Smarties. "Don't worry that they are yellow Mr President, and yes they do taste a bit chocolatey don't they"

2. dowie

Caporegime

Sorry I was going to drop it but this just dumb. You’re either deliberately ignoring or just don’t understand the point.

It’s not just that it’s an incredibly small amount of money (again less than he’s probably spent on some lunches, or paid some Russian hookers to pee on him if you believe that one etc...) it’s also that there is not much to support that his taking it has made anything of note for the company or companies he has some exposure to... again some of them are literally giving it away.

As for the bold assertion, it’s not particularly bold for anyone who can understand the basics here. He’s got multiple trusts, the investments in these trusts are managed by a third party (J.P.Morgan), of the many investments they’ve made on his behalf using his multiple millions a rather small sum of a few thousand has been allocated to one (of many) funds... that fund in turn, out of the many stocks it has selected has allocated 3% to a French pharma company and some others. It’s pretty obvious that he was unlikely to even be aware of his indirect exposure here initially and might only be now after press coverage. It’s not like he’s invested directly in the stock or similar stocks himself! Now you reply wanting me to prove a negative? Can you prove he was aware? Didn’t think so...

And now we’ve got the laughable claim that he’d know this tiny detail because he’s a micromanager? This is the guy with an attention span of a 3 year old FFS! Staff, aides etc.. in the White House inserted pictures into his briefings and made sure to mention stuff about him and keep the briefs short in the hope he’d read them. This isn’t a guy who’s looking at the details, quite the opposite.

So no it’s not just about the small size of the investment (though that should be sufficient in itself for most people), it’s that he likely didn’t even know about it given the above and on top of that no one has demonstrated how this has paid off for him even if he had a larger sum invested in a relevant firm and knew about it? Again it’s a cheap generic some companies are literally giving away.

To top it off now he’s even backtracking on the drug now... How does that figure into this conspiracy nonsense?

3. dowie

Caporegime

Yup, quite plausible. It was initially promoted by some dodgy French Dr, got some press coverage. Did prompt some trials. Trump picks up on it from TV news or snippets of some briefing he semi-paid attention to. He then wants to throw out something positive in a press conference. He got slated at the time but trials still carrying on with this drug so throws out that he’s taking it too. Whether he was or not who knows? It’s not super risky, been around for a while but apparently some cardiovascular risks.

Likewise he picked up something from somewhere re: UV and bleach etc.. again not a man for the details he came out with some dumb stuff there too. Surprised someone didn’t claim he had some cunning financial plan via an investment in Clorox or something...

4. Jono8

Caporegime

You missed the best one -

"You have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero"

They have ~ 1.6 million cases. If there is ever anything that demonstrates just how wrong trump can be, that quote is it.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  5. dowie

Caporegime

It’s nuts, he could have easily been a hero here with some common sense. I mean most of the US could have been handled with some decent contact tracing and ramping up testing capacity. In plenty of areas there is low population density, no public transport/everyone drives etc... Just close bars etc... social distancing + masks in malls, supermarkets. They’d have had hardly any cases in the flyover states.

He did stop flights from China at least, if that was actually out of pragmatism then he could have continued abd gone for quarantine in general and encouraged earlier lockdowns in big US cities - they’d be sorted. With their industrial capacity he could be churning out PPE etc.. for the rest of the world, bashing China as much as he wants etc... since he likes doing that.

One of the other few things he’s done right IMO is put up the cash to develop vaccines at risk. This one is also one of the few good strategic calls the U.K. actually avoided screwing up on too so far... Getting an early vaccine for this is a game changer so funding manufacture before testing is complete is a no brainer.

Overall he’s just a total and utter muppet. He could have acted decisively in this, in line with his political base etc... talking up quarantine as necessary step for the future of his great nation etc... against an enemy Chinese virus or however you spin this to the sort of idiots who love Trump... If he had then he might well have had some flack too before the severity of this thing emerged with some wanting to criticise/take the opposite stance regardless... he’d be laughing by now. Given the US demographics and resources they’d be well placed to be among the best in the world at handling this if they’d had the right leader. Could claim to have saved the US and point out that the some more left wing democrats wouldn’t have stopped flights etc... Some of the actions could have played right into his politics, biases etc... but he was too dumb to make the call.

6. MikeTheNative

Sgarrista

He doesn't like to be proven/shown to be wrong. If someone shows him that he has been wrong, he will either deny he ever said it or double down. I reckon that's why he is taking the drug, not as he genuinely believes it will help him but just so that he isn't proven wrong about it.

7. Jono8

Caporegime

Yup. He mistakenly thought he could downplay it and claim that he saved the economy and people's lives, but you cant have both in this situation.

His muddled and stupid response has meant that he has lost the economy and control of the virus ( therefore costing people's lives).

As you say, it probably would have been better to be the compassionate life saver rather than the man who obviously doesn't give a **** because he wants the DOW to go back up.

8. Apex

Capodecina

Look you can post to try and educate others in this thread, but this hostility you have towards people needs to stop. There's no call for it. Get a life and get over yourself. Maybe you know more about the subject then others, seems the most likely case. Surely you're smart enough to know that people aren't born understanding how stocks and funds work. If you know that, then why don't you know that people will not understand funds as well as you? Why then do you need to call others dumb? Trump fans for sure are dumb just look at the Donald thread in gd, but someone in here assuming the guy who's always in it for himself, then might do something for himself, you don't need to call them dumb.

9. dowie

Caporegime

Sorry but it’s a bit rich for you to talk about hostility here, I’ve been perfectly civil in replying to you and you deliberately ignore direct questions when I have the courtesy to answer yours. I’ve given a bunch of explanations, I’d be happy to expand on them if needed etc... But rather than doing that you persisted in arguing apparently from a position of ignorance?

I didn’t just throw in questions for a laugh. I mean if you didn’t understand the points made or the implications then just say so, to carry on and selectively ignore them is rather silly.

The argument itself is a dumb one, I’m not trying to be rude there but it simply is given the facts. Note I didn’t call people dumb, I highlighted that the argument is dumb given the facts. Perhaps some people didn’t quite understand the implications of those facts etc...

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  10. Sankari

Caporegime

Ford reopens two factories... and is forced to close them again.

(Source).

I wonder if Trump will give them a blast on Twitter.

11. Sankari

Caporegime

12. Apex

Capodecina

OK. As you can't acknowledge it and admit it, I'll report it and let the mods decide if you calling someone dumb is fine or not, maybe they don't mind maybe they do, and then you can report me for not replying to every point you make and see how much that is allowed or not.

Unfortunately you won't get a conversation with anyone if you continue calling people dumb. I pity anyone that has to deal with that type of response in real life.

13. Stretch

Capodecina

Trump has become a religion.

How Trumpian, America First, impulsive twitter tirades transitions into a world ravaged by corona virus I have no idea.

Internationally he is so tainted now it's difficult for any country, even allies to engage with him constructively.

He only seem interested in deflecting attention away from the endless string of car crashes he leaves in his wake. He's lowered the bar so low incompetence is now just accepted.

It's very serious in the environment the world will face in the coming months/years.

14. dowie

Caporegime

Where did I call anyone dumb?

I highlighted that a conspiracy theory/argument was "dumb"... and it is.

I'll note that the other poster referred to my argument as "rubbish" yet you don't seem to object to that? Why is that?

You seem to have given up actually discussing the topic after ignoring the facts a few times. This isn't really supposed to be a chat thread tbh... so would you mind discussing the subject itself too if you're going to quote me please?

I don't see why I'd report you for not answering the points.. it just highlights that you perhaps can't if you're still going to support what is a "weak" argument.

15. Sankari

Caporegime

My one consolation is that the QANON conspiracy cult will be subjected to another 4 years of empty promises, and Trump will finally leave office without having done any of the great things the conspiracy predicted.

16. dowie

Caporegime

Trump's use of the drug might not be quite so dumb after all... well actually it still perhaps is given there is little evidence so far and it does carry risks (especially given his age, obesity etc..).

However it seems that though trials showing it's success in infected individuals seem a bit sketchy there is some consideration being given to whether it could in fact be a prophylactic after all so I might have been wrong to call that aspect dumb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52737169

17. garnett

Soldato

Commander in chief of the USA and leader of the free world at it again.

18. Mr Badger

Sgarrista

Aside from the CT loving extremists of the ***an acronym I know that I shouldn't be posting***, would anyone say that Trump is getting better in the role as time goes on? With his narcissism, shirking of responsibility, word salad, Twitter tantrums and ability to alienate people it certainly doesn't look that way to me. If he does get back in it will be 4 more years of him making the office of President look ridiculous as he acts like a man baby and blames everyone else for his own failings. And that's assuming that he doesn't completely lose his faculties.

19. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

You forgot sacking people who start to take an interest into his actions.

20. Mr Badger

Sgarrista

My list was non-exhaustive. Making a complete list of the problems with Trump would be a full time job! I can see why Trump would prefer another term as president to doing one somewhere rather more secure, but I don't see it improving either his legacy or the standing of the US in any way.