***The Vapers Lounge*** 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So what's the difference between Kanthal and the 317L stuff that some of you guys are running ?

// not to worry - just bought 30m of Kanthal 24 gauge for a fiver off the bay
SS wire gives options: It can be used in VW/VV mode at lower power than kanthal for equal effect and in TC on mods with Ti or SS modes. Some folk say the flavour is better but my taste buds have been lazy for a few weeks so I can't really say to be sure. The safety issue, it's not Kanthal but rather Nickel that people wish to avoid.

Last edited:
Don
Rilot, the TCR for SS will be for a specific type, my m8 has used 317L and said it was much better, the coils in the crown are 304 but fuzzed to ni200 for the leeds so the TCR will be well different.

Yeah, I figured it would be. It would be nice of Wismec to actually say what SS though.
I knew that the Crown 0.25s aren't the best for TC due to the ni200 legs. The 0.5s are fine usually though. Not on this mod though.

I'm not fussed about it to be honest. Been running it in power mode and it's been pretty much faultless. Battery lasts forever too. I popped new Efests in on Friday and it's still rocking over 50% two days later.

I picked up a new battery charger by the way. Forgot to post about it.
It's a Foxnovo Li-ion Ni-MH Ni-CD Sound Prompt Battery Capacity Testing LCD Intelligent Battery Charger.

Now, the great thing about this fella is that it shows the mAh put back in to each battery, can charge at 1A per cell, and has a cycle mode that drops the batteries to 2.8V and then charges them back up to check the capacity. It can also do AAs and AAAs too.
I have been using an Xtar VC4 for a while but the thing that annoyed me with that one was that you could only display 2 battery's stats at the same time. It would cycle between two sets of two. Also, the VC4 can only charge 18650s and 18350s and doesn't come with a power supply (you have to provide your own 2A USB wall wart).

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Hey Gee, I just tested that create calculator by putting the same percentages in as you and naturally got the same results. I really like it, mostly because you can select the brand of your own concentrate, so yeah, I'll continue to use it instead of ejuicemeup. I will say though, the only real difference I noticed in final results is nicotine. Same figure of 0.42 ml in ejuicemeup but the grams are different, showing 0.41g instead of 0.53g. Perhaps that's what you mean? Unless of course the recipe create site uses a higher gram weight than me for nicotine? I set my nicotine gram set to 1. http://s17.postimg.org/5ozjqsu67/Apple_Pie.jpg

PG based Nic and VG based Nic have different weights.

The e-liquid-recipes calculator has the correct weights all set.

As I mentioned, you can set the individual weights manually in Ejuicemeup, but afaik you have to amend them each time you open it up.

Good post here about it - https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2iq3km/botboy141_guide_to_mixing_by_weight/

Last edited:
Soldato
SS wire gives options: It can be used in VW/VV mode at lower power than kanthal for equal effect and in TC on mods with Ti or SS modes. Some folk say the flavour is better but my taste buds have been lazy for a few weeks so I can't really say to be sure. The safety issue, it's not Kanthal but rather Nickel that people wish to avoid.

Actually you can use SS in power mode just the same as Kanthal, ive run my Crius with dual 25awg 317L SS at upto 70w and the .5 coil heads shipped with the Uwell Crown are SS based coils too and they can take upto 90w :)

Don
Yup. This is kind of why I like SS so much. I can do a build and then run it on whatever mod I like.
However, there's still a lot of mileage in Kanthal yet though. Rocking some nice claptons in the Aromamizer and the flavour is great.

Soldato
I agree Rilot, SS is versatile, you could build your claptons out of it and still be able to run on Any mod in either mode, when my V2 Crius decided to stop working in TC i had no choice but to use power mode and thankfully in the Crius it works so damn good, though at the moment the V2 is working with TC again and with the same SS build in, not sure why and ive orderd a V3 deck to replace it, but had it been an NI or TI build it would have been a waste.

Associate
Same. It will fire the 0.25 but cuts power immediately no matter if the temp is set to 300C.
It seems to work in ti mode if the temp is set to 140C ish. I'm guessing the TCR is set too low in SS mode.
Rilot, just want to say thanks for this tip. The power fluctuations inSS mode were driving me mad. Do you think that TC should still work correctly and the cotton won't burn? I am currently using a uwell crown with the 0.2 coils.

Soldato
Actually you can use SS in power mode just the same as Kanthal, ive run my Crius with dual 25awg 317L SS at upto 70w and the .5 coil heads shipped with the Uwell Crown are SS based coils too and they can take upto 90w :)
When I fired a .4 at 30w it nearly fried my chops, just found it felt far hotter than previous Kanthal builds in that tank and I've been running that build about 20w since.

Soldato
With SS in TC mode, you have to get the power pretty spot on or it will fluctuate the power badly, this is i think because TC works by registering the change in Resistance to Guess the temp, the resistance change in SS is much smaller than in NI or TI wire, so the boards cant cope as easily with them.

Ive tried contact and spaced coils in SS wire in TC mode and to be honest, they felt similar but i found spaced gave better performance and flavour, most pre made coils using SS are spaced and i think it is because the companies making them did their research?
But either way 20w seams very low for a .4ohm coil, im guessing its a contact coil and either way, you may have a hot leg or hot spot in the coil, have you tried dry firing it to see? you can with SS coils, unlike NI or TI wire.
Otherwise it could be the height of your coil from the airflow, if its on a deck where the air comes in from below, then the height can have a profound effect on the heat of the vap you get.

Soldato
Dry fired fine heating up from the center out, bottom airflow, contact coil, about 2mm off the deck. At 18w it was vaping fine and due to that I didn't view it as a broken build and so I'd stuck with it.

I'll try another build later, will try spaced.

Soldato
PG based Nic and VG based Nic have different weights.

The e-liquid-recipes calculator has the correct weights all set.

As I mentioned, you can set the individual weights manually in Ejuicemeup, but afaik you have to amend them each time you open it up.

Good post here about it - https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2iq3km/botboy141_guide_to_mixing_by_weight/

Nope, I just did "Save as Default" and it saved as "Default.dft". The grams set is the same every time I load the program. Not that it matters much because I'm going to use the create calculator you linked me :p

Associate
317L stainless steel wire ordered from the Crazy Wire Company 0.5, 0.4 & 0.35.

Five 10 metre spools for the price of 4.

Any dos and dont's I should know about with it?

Can you dry burn the coils to clean them?

Cheers all

Soldato
You can dry burn SS wire, and you can run it in power mode or TC, but in TC, you need to dial in your power well or it can give erratic power control.

I prefer the spaced coils, i feel the flavour is better and in TC mode i feel it works better and you dont need to mess about pinching etc to "tune" the coils

Associate
You can dry burn SS wire, and you can run it in power mode or TC, but in TC, you need to dial in your power well or it can give erratic power control.

I prefer the spaced coils, i feel the flavour is better and in TC mode i feel it works better and you dont need to mess about pinching etc to "tune" the coils

Thanks for the info, seems like the best of both worlds with ss wire, getting fed up having to recoil with nickel as I cant really get the coils clean when I change juices :(

Cheers all

Don
I run both spaced and microcoils with SS. IME spaced works best as UKDTweak says but in some tanks it's useful to be able to make a microcoil due to space restrictions.

So, I run spaced where I can, and microcoils when I have to. Both work well in both power and TC modes but spaced gives better flavour for me.

Soldato
Finally got the Crown RBA in, just using what ever was fitted in it - looks to be 24-26g kanthal? Anyhow, I THINK I've nailed the wicking first time around, no leaks, bubbles well after a pull, taste is good just need to get the power worked up, at 30w at the moment, feel it could take much much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom