The VW UP Gti - What do we all think?

Soldato
i know the phone/gps thing might seem small, but if swift can do it no reason for VW not to be able to.

It’s going to be the way of the future though. All VAG group cars that currently have the built-in ‘proper’ navigation system only get free map and traffic updates for the first three years. After that they still do the free traffic licence on a year-by-year ‘goodwill’ basis but the free maps suddenly becomes £120 an update added to each service if you want them, or run last years maps if you don’t. If you have the better COMAND on Mercedes it’s the same although the cheaper Garmin based head units cost £20 per year for updates from Garmin. I’m sure other manufacturers are similarly structured.

If you run it off the phone (Android Auto or Apple CarPlay) then you control the map updates, not the dealer. iOS 12 will let you run WAZE in the headunit at which point the built-in system starts to look really last generation. Not to mention the significantly better traffic avoidance in WAZE. On the newest A6 you can get the Carplay navigation in the screen in front of the driver if you spec the digital dashboard. Once you have that level of integration why would you pay £500-£2000 for an integrated navigation unit?

Soldato
Well, long time no Up!

Decided to cancel my order in the end, as sadly it was taking so long, my trade in price had gone past what I was willing to pay. Car now has a confirmed build date of 22nd October, so will likely be here at the start of December...nearly 10 months after the original order!

Soldato
OP
Well, long time no Up!

Decided to cancel my order in the end, as sadly it was taking so long, my trade in price had gone past what I was willing to pay. Car now has a confirmed build date of 22nd October, so will likely be here at the start of December...nearly 10 months after the original order!
That's a shame! So near yet so far :(

Associate
not I.

The wife passed her driving test so bought a 2002 polo instead and will wait for a up!R or a 2019-2020 refresh.....

and by the looks of things she may have a 5 year no claims bonus by the time it arrives!! :p

Caporegime
not I.

The wife passed her driving test so bought a 2002 polo instead and will wait for a up!R or a 2019-2020 refresh.....

and by the looks of things she may have a 5 year no claims bonus by the time it arrives!! :p

A 2002 Polo is a vastly superior car anyway. In fact it is the best car money can buy by some significant margin.

Associate

"Offered as an exterior package, it’ll cost up! buyers on the continent €795 (£707 approx). There are currently no plans to bring the package to the UK." :(

I had no idea about the R line, love the styling on it as well. Rims are half the size of the car..!

Caporegime
Thats the R-Line, he is hoping they will release a proper R.

R-Line is just a trim package. Like VXR-Line, AMG-Line, M-Sport, S-Line, ST line etc. Not the same as VXR, AMG, M, S, ST... Blahh.

Associate
I want better seats, more steering feedback and traction control off button (or "sport mode").

Apart from the seats, it's software and reading around some people were making headway, but recent software has put pay to that somewhat. :(

A proper R will probably never happen but a guy can dream right.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Soooo....did anyone here ever get one?

I have one. It sits in a collection of cars which are in a different league of performance and cost but all I'm driving at the moment is the little Up!. It's one of the few cars I've driven that's actually fun at sensible(ish) road speeds. Flawed and a bit silly looking but very charming and one of the best value cars on sale today as far as I'm concerned. Get the Beats stereo and the sunroof.

Soldato
My wife stuck with the turbo charged high up in the end due to the wait.

In terms of Sat nav for different manufacturers Hyundai promise free updates for 10 years after purchase so I still have another 5 years left on mine :)

Soldato
There appear to be a fair few used/pre-reg'd popping up on the forecourt. My local dealer is listing 5 in stock, with 10-1500ish miles on the clock.

Last edited:
Associate
They look interesting - I have my Dad's 2015 Ford KA as a runaround and while it ticks the practical boxes its not a lot of fun. I need something thats:

- cheapish and doesn't have an interior that I'll worry about when the kids are in it wrecking stuff with rugby boots etc
- Has to have 2 back seats for the kids
- Doesn't need much of a boot
-Very small to fit in the tiny corner spaces in my train station car park during the week (for some reason everyone round me drives 4x4 to the station and so those tiny corner ones are the last to be taken)
- Not too worried about the paint job when I leave it on the street near the station during the week (even the tiny corner spaces are sometimes full)
- will survive a longish motorway trip once in a while

While the KA does that, it's not exactly a hoot to drive. That UP GTI might work (in the way that a Fabia won't as its too big). Might have a wander around the local dealer at some point for a pre reg one...

Associate
So I grabbed a good deal and ended up buying one. Between a reasonable 3.4% car finance through Halifax and a small £2100 discount. Ended up at 12,600 and should have it by the end of the month.

Actually a little bit excited.

Yes, despite picking faults with it after the first test drive at £12,000 for a new car I decided to make the purchase. At £14500 it was a different outcome. I’ll keep you lot posted.

Soldato
Anyone still considering a new Up Gti may well have already missed the boat.

The Up! GTI and High Up! no longer appear to be available to order in the UK. The GTI is no longer listed in the VW car configurator and is no longer listed in the finance calculator, along with the High Up! Possibly VW winding down production as the current model comes to the end of its run?

I'm sure I read something about the next generation of Up being EV only.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Bump. Thanks to some bull**** new tax legislation over here, it looks like I'd get exactly the same net benefit from running an Up! GTI as I would running a significantly more expensive and older Audi S1.

Any thoughts from those who actually own the GTI? @Adz @stuman ?

Back
Top Bottom