US: **The Walking Dead Season 8 - Contains Spoilers - No future content to be discussed **

Soldato
agreed. it was quite clear from the tone, or rather the attempted tone what was meant. the next challenge for the 'group' will be from within.

I'm of the same view, I suspect season 9 will be all about the groups internal battles following Ricks decision to spare Negan. While Maggie, Daryl and bizarrely Jesus are all baying for blood, Rick has decided to quell his bloodlust after reading Carl's letter. I suspect we will be in the position where Rick is actually protecting Negan from the other members. My guess would be that at some point Carol will do whatever needs to be done to end the spat.

The whole show needs to widen it's narrative now to give us a clue of what might be going on in the wider world, is the infection world-wide or contained? That said, the early seasons where we knew next to nothing were far better in most respects. I'm sure we will have yet another group of evermore deranged baddies to defeat, but the formula is wearing a bit thin now. Apparently, Lauren Cohan (Maggie) has re-signed her contract even though she is now doing other stuff on the side.

Not read the books, so I have no idea how far away or close the TV series is by comparison or where the story is going.

Man of Honour
OP
That said, the early seasons where we knew next to nothing were far better in most respects.

We at least had the CDC. We could do with another similar event to at least give us a few more hints about the wider world and state of infection. I don't think anyone watching really cares about the groups internal struggles anymore or the next slightly badder bad guys.

ADT

ADT

Associate
Any idea on what these helicopter appearances are about?
I was hoping they would reveal more about that at the end of this season

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Will still watch the show but do agree, ratings may decline sharply since twd started with that moral high point from a police officers pov in rick, when really he became the worst of everyone yet the good guy, the anti hero.

Soldato
Norman Reedus as lead? Hahaha wow.

I assume this means Judith and Michonne will leave aswell then? Sounds like he will just leave the settlement.

Associate
If the $20m deal is true then that means they are planning a loaaaaad more seasons. I would be amazed if it equates to $5m a season for 4 seasons. I reckon it will be diluted down more than this as I can’t imagine the actors in this show, who generally have very little screen time (as there as so many), being on super big bucks.

Edit - just googled and found Andrew Lincoln was on $90,000 an episode. So unless they are planning on stringing this out for another 10 seasons + then this signing up for $20m must be false.

Soldato
I still "sort of" enjoy the show but do wonder where it's headed. The first couple of series, as the cast coalesced into the "merry band" we have today were pretty good. The show had an intensity and a realism that grew the audience. (well as real as a world full of zombies could be)

More recently the show feels like it's broken it's back, perusing the "No one is safe mantra." Killing off Glen was a bit of a disaster, he was sort of the morale compass for the group. Though I personally didn't like Carl's character, killing him off makes absolutely no sense at all. Following his demise Rick basically has no reason for being anymore so the writing is on the wall. Considering he is the main character around which the whole show is based, surely it's days are numbered.

The last couple of series have just been packed with too many "WTF" and "As-if" moments that have been closer to the "A-Team" of the 80's than the gritty feel the show had at the beginning. It sounds like some of the key actors have already worked it out for themselves and are already perusing other interest, most notably Lauren Cohen who is headlining the upcoming 'Whiskey Cavalier'

Man of Honour
OP
Soldato
With Andrew Lincoln leaving it confirms what everyone has known for a while now, the show is done.

For me, the show already died with Carl. I know he wasn't everyone's favourite character, but it was his story. We watched him grow up across the seasons and he represented hope for some light at the end of the zombie tunnel. Killing Carl off was utterly senseless, it extinguishes that hope as well as totally disconnecting the show from the source material.

It's no surprise this has triggered Lincoln into leaving too and his departure totally seals the story arc because so many other main characters are wrapped up in his story. So for me, I don't really care if Reedus can pick up the reins or not (he probably can), I'm done.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
From what I've read at the end of the last season they're supposed to be taking on a new direction with the show. It's too little too late however. They have been too soft with the main cast compared to earlier seasons and obviously held onto the stars we love to see, but done nothing with them making it worth the slog anymore. Even if they killed off the lot in a spectacular way and moved on, it'd be a shallow move IMO, they've wasted so much talent and opportunities it's going to be too jarring to move on from it.

Man of Honour
Stretched themselves too thin / over saturated it with Fear the Walking Dead and also The Walking Dead turning small comic arcs into full series. Did it ever get better than S1? 6 Eps only, I felt that was a good size.

Back
Top Bottom