The White Macbook is dead :( RIP

Soldato
The term 'Pro' puts first timers off as it indicates some kind of superior machine which they assume to be beyond their needs

Not entirely sure I would agree with this but each to their own.

Hmm well I always thought the 'Pro' tag differentiated the extra premium in terms of materials, design, spec and of course price, over the Macbook- so now surely there should be a Macbook Pro Pro? If you know what I mean :p Otherwise the 'Pro' tag is now redundant surely!

Bring back the 'iBook' brand, I say. After all, we have iMac -> Mac Pro as desktop machines (although different form factors I know), iBook -> Macbook Pro!

Last edited:
Soldato
I doubt Apple will even notice the continued interest in the MacBook due to increasing sales across their range, combined with quite possibly dwindling sales of the last MacBook refresh simply because its specs was so out of date compared to the MBP.

Soldato
Given that a refresh would have once again made it almost the same as the MBP I guess this makes sense. Don't imagine this will stop anyone getting a Pro or Air instead which make them more money and have better construction.

I wonder if "Pro" will be dropped from the name next year, a lower-end model doesn't seem likely.

Associate
Hmm well I always thought the 'Pro' tag differentiated the extra premium in terms of materials, design, spec and of course price, over the Macbook- so now surely there should be a Macbook Pro Pro? If you know what I mean :p Otherwise the 'Pro' tag is now redundant surely!

Bring back the 'iBook' brand, I say. After all, we have iMac -> Mac Pro as desktop machines (although different form factors I know), iBook -> Macbook Pro!

Just to be clear, I was only disagreeing with the notion that the "pro" label might imply a machine beyond their needs. Though this is purely my opinion.

And yes, I suppose that label does start to seem a little redundant.

Associate
Wasn't that the Core Solo model? Anyway that model aside the MacBook is a very well built laptop compared to cheaper Windows ones.

Nah, the Core Solo was only in the Mac mini. They went with Core Duo initially then updated to Core 2 Duo in the next spec bump.

Should've added that when it was behaving itself it was a great machine. Plus 4-6hrs battery life in 2006 was crazy compared to the "maybe 2hrs" PC laptops.

Associate
Just a shame, as i said in the other thread..
No optical drive is a big turn off for some people (my GF would go nuts without an optical drive), also 11" screen is just too small, and 64GB HD is equally too small to be used as a stand alone 'entry level' Mac system, imo.
Also the battery life on the Air is pants! :(

11" isn't too small, even with a better resolution than the 13" MBP. Millions of netbooks are used happily, they're slightly too small for me now but the Air is perfect. Erm, battery life is five hours - how's that pants?

Back
Top Bottom