Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes found guilty

Caporegime
They finally got her.

Elizabeth Holmes, the founder and former CEO of blood-testing company Theranos, on Monday was found guilty of conspiracy and fraud against certain investors by a California jury.

Why it matters: Holmes was the poster child of Silicon Valley hubris, taking "fake it till you make it" to illegal extremes.

She was found not guilty on several charges relating to patients and company ads in Arizona.

Holmes was found guilty of four charges of wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud with regards to certain investors (though the jury couldn't reach a verdict in the case of three counts relating to investors).

Holmes is expected to appeal. Each guilty verdict carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison though she would likely serve them concurrently, the New York Times notes.

This case was specifically about what Holmes told Theranos investors, although her lies also impacted partners and patients.

(Source).

I hope she wins a nice long holiday in prison.

Caporegime
Excellent, finally this scammer can come to justice. Question is will she get a proper sentence?

I don't know how so many investors were fooled though, to anyone in the biomedical sector her claims were far too good to be true in the first place.

EDIT - Background video for context.

Soldato
So when do they start a similar action against her, apparent peer, Zuckerberg - false pretences, net contribution to humanity ?

Soldato
There’s a great YouTube video by Psychologists that work for the security agency etc - they basically ask two questions “is she lying?” (Yes) “is she a psychopath?” (high probability) based on analysis of body language during an interview.

In the US - it’s who is paying the research teams, I suspect the investors are paying for additional research. The public purse probably was defeated by the defence budget.

Given the target was her - she could point at the rest of the company for misleading clients or failure to follow processes (although you could point she is accountable for strategy/tactics allowed), she is directly accountable for the relationship with investors as CEO.

Last edited:
Soldato
Incredible really isn't it? It's clear she had a vision bigger than her ability, but the fact she changed her voice and was so damn brazen with pushing this **** to people when it had literally no chance of working, is psychopathic.

Soldato
I don't know how so many investors were fooled though, to anyone in the biomedical sector her claims were far too good to be true in the first place.

I thought the exact same when the news first surfaced. Surely for such a bold claim as being able to detect diseases from a few droplets of blood she would have had to have demonstrated the capability of the technology. It's almost as the saying goes - a fool and their money is easily parted.

Shes hot, as with 90% of women shes also a psychopath tho :)

:cry::cry:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Hahahaha what?! First I've heard of her and this con but my god how dumb/foolish were these investors?! Hahaha they deserve what they got. The patients, however, definitely did not.

How unregulated is health care in the US that something like this could make its way to their public?

Caporegime
Hahahaha what?! First I've heard of her and this con but my god how dumb/foolish were these investors?! Hahaha they deserve what they got. The patients, however, definitely did not.

How unregulated is health care in the US that something like this could make its way to their public?

Healthcare in the US is driven by money, rather than to do good, if you haven't looked into it, check out their latest opioid cases against the pharmaceutical industry.

Associate
When she actually enters prison I'll celebrate. I expect she'll serve a handful at best but a vile person that represents the very worst of US corporate interests vs giving a single **** about humans. God it must have been awful working in that company.

She had this creepy obsession with Steve Jobs, always wearing black turle necks and demanding stuff that wasnt possible, firing/pushing people that said it couldn't be done. The huge difference being Appe was designing software and a product "that just works" in the eyes of a consumer vs actual well studied blood science within the rules of thermodynamics.

Last edited:
Soldato

There is a great book on Amazon about it.

Caporegime
It's absolutely amazing that she could become a billionaire whilst leading a company that never actually had a working product.

These are the people we're all told to emulate - to look up to. The wealth creators and entrepreneurs. The people who "made something of themselves".

And she is one of the most successful, becoming the "youngest female self-made billionaire". A real example of what is possible.

Just makes me laugh, is all. All the rest of us nobodies doing a useful job day in day out, and will never be celebrated like this woman was.

Back
Top Bottom