There's not a piece of classical music I like..

Soldato
..more than this. I heard it in my car on Classic FM tonight whilst scrolling through radio stations, recognised it but never knew what it was called or who it's composed by. Erik Satie - Gymnopédie No.1. You'll know it right away when you hear it. Absolutely sublime. Apparently it's regarded as an important precursor to modern ambient music.

Here's four versions of it I really like, one with just piano, probably the one most people know, and three with orchestras.

Solo piano

Strings are lush as lush on this.

The lead violin on this is awesome.

The female vocal here is eargasmic.

Which is your favourite version?
I'm sure there was a TV programme that used to have the piano version as a theme. Or maybe I'm thinking of a movie. Can anyone recall where they've heard it?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It’s the ultimate looking out of the window at the rain breakup song :p

My personal fav is the final movement of moonlight sonata. Such utter win.

Starts at 8:04

Soldato
More of a modern classical fan myself.
ie

+ some of William Orbits stuff

I'm sure there was a TV programme that used to have the piano version as a theme. Or maybe I'm thinking of a movie. Can anyone recall where they've heard it?

Or and advert?!, either way that's really bugging me now :)

Does anyone know which version of the magic flute this is? its the only one I can find minus the opera.

Soldato
OP
Some very nice pieces guys.
Moonlight Sonata, yes, good choice. Lovely piece.
Very cool that Gary Numan did Gymnopedie. Who knew?
Something just occurred to me while listening to a famous Bach composition. Does anyone else here think that Whiter Shade of Pale Air sounds like it was paying homage to Air on the G String? I think there's something of a resemblance in the opening 2 bars of WSOP and the opening 3 bars of AOTGS.

Associate
Not a huge fan of classical if I'm honest, but it's something I listen to when the mood takes me.

If I had to pick a favourite piece it would be this - just the most beautiful, emotive piece of music ever written IMHO; to me it just screams Britain/England:

I was fortunate enough to hear it played by a full orchestra in the Royal Albert Hall once and it was one of those life-changing moments that open your eyes - gave me goosebumps and moved me to the verge of tears ... it still does

Soldato
Does anyone else here think that Whiter Shade of Pale Air sounds like it was paying homage to Air on the G String? I think there's something of a resemblance in the opening 2 bars of WSOP and the opening 3 bars of AOTGS.

Apparently the Procul Harem guitarist was mucking about trying to pick out Air on a G String. He didn't get it quite right but it laid the foundation for the intro to Whiter Shade of Pale.

Permabanned
..more than this. I heard it in my car on Classic FM tonight whilst scrolling through radio stations, recognised it but never knew what it was called or who it's composed by. Erik Satie - Gymnopédie No.1. You'll know it right away when you hear it. Absolutely sublime. Apparently it's regarded as an important precursor to modern ambient music.

Here's four versions of it I really like, one with just piano, probably the one most people know, and three with orchestras.

Solo piano

Great revelation!

Solo piano

Wow!
I always thought that was John Williams's and Herbie Flowers's collaboration - piece of music!
The old SKY classic.

Always good to learn something new. :cool:

Soldato
OP
Cool, yeah I remember Sky very well. :) I never knew they also did a version of it.

I've had another revelation. Does anyone think that the composer of the theme to the game Zelda Ocarina Of Time might have been inspired by Gymnopedie? It's in 4/4 and Gymnopedie is in 3, but the general vibe to my ears is very similar, particularly when you hear the bass notes that alternate under the main melodies on beat 1 of each bar on both pieces of music. I think there's an uncanny resemblance.

Back
Top Bottom