"Theres plenty more fish in the sea" - not for much longer.

Associate
I'm out fishing every weekend, and I consistently get "it isn't like it used to be" from the skipper.

In fairness, I believe him. It's not a shock, this 'news' just confirms a trend that has been occuring for decades.

It just remains to be seen if the governments of the world are going to take any action (in the short-term, I doubt it).

Soldato
Dace said:
I'm out fishing every weekend, and I consistently get "it isn't like it used to be" from the skipper.

In fairness, I believe him. It's not a shock, this 'news' just confirms a trend that has been occuring for decades.

It just remains to be seen if the governments of the world are going to take any action (in the short-term, I doubt it).

they will do nothing just talk about to, propose wonderful sweeping reforms which will fix everything and then never do a damn thing.

Associate
cleanbluesky said:
Does that mean we can no longer give positive advice to relationship thread starters?

"My girlfriend left me..."

"Well, unfortunately sea fish stocks are dwindling, so I would expect to mope for a while yet..."

That made me grin :D

Associate
penski said:
I just spent a few days in Whitby (Fri-Tues). Law's still there now - I was meant to be coming back tomorrow but something popped up :(

Anyhoo...

We ate at The Magpie Cafe each night.

I have NEVER eaten so much good fish; so fresh and cooked perfectly.

Including an 18oz slab of Haddock served with about 500g of thick chips fried in beef dripping, two tubs of fresh tartare sauce and half a lemon :D

*n

You made me hungry, I love seafood.

Soldato
People need to stop placing blame and expecting governments and corporations to do what's best, and we should be living differently, at the moment its unsustainable.

Permabanned
Yep, we have abused our power. I hope that it will eventually lead to our demise, because that's what we deserve.

Associate
Why dont you throw yourself off a cliff and do mother earth a favour if thats how you feel?

I just hope the Haddock doesnt run out. I eat 4 fillets a day to meet my protein requirements. :eek: *kisses arms* :D

Associate
fish farming as it stands isn't the answer. Taking farmed salmon as an example, their diet consists of fish and their feed is derived from the wild fish stock. You may think that that grilled salmon steak you are tucking into isn't impacting on the environment but the irony of it is, to raise that domestic salmon, more wild fish had to be caught and rendered into feed then if you were to eat wild salmon.

The fact of the matter is that, simply the human population is too large for us to maintain our lifestyle. No matter how clever we go about things, we simply demand too much resources from our environment.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
hsp70 said:
You may think that that grilled salmon steak you are tucking into isn't impacting on the environment

It's not just salmon, to farm prawns huge areas of rainforest and cleared to make room for the pools which are then filled with a cocktail of chemicals in the hope that the prawns will thrive.

Permabanned
Yawn! Dont even get me started on this and/or the lovely scientific theory that is global warming!

A few facts.

The whole in the ozone layer has repaired itself - fact
Ice caps and glaciers in the Noridc regions have grown consistently in the last 10 years and show no signs of stopping - fact

However, I am all for stopping things before they happen, but scare tactics is all this is

Permabanned
rabanthor said:
Please provide a link for this, a quick search by me reveals it to be nonsense, but I hope I'm wrong.

The banning of CFCs some years ago was the best measure taken to stop this 'hole' increasing. It was at its largest in 2003 (12 million sq miles) and is now roughly 10million sqaure miles in size.

I guess really I should have said the hole is repairing.

This should see you through, but there are others

http://news.com.com/Images+NASA+says+ozone+layer+is+healing/2300-11395_3-6111282.html

Back
Top Bottom