Thermal pads/ undervolting

Associate
Two entirely different topics here.

1. Thermal pads, so after some research thanks to a few users hear already I am now familiar with the pump out effect, hardly surprising aside the fact I never actually thought about compounds doing that in this environment. It leads me to the question, why use a paste on a CPU/ GPU core if it has diminishing returns after each heavy session if you could get a pad that has a matching conductivity?
For arguments sake, I have Kryonaut (12w/mk) and also Gelid Extreme pads (12.5w/mk). Wouldn't the pad yield a similar result to the paste with a longer life? If not would someone be so kind as to tell me why?

2. Undervolting, Odd to mention it in the overclocking section, but in technical terms it's the same, just the opposite. I'm going to get a new gaming laptop this month, I have heard manufacturers have a habit of giving the chip more juice than is needed and can increase the thermals without a gain in power, meaning some machines actually end up running much better and much cooler by dropping the voltage of CPU/GPUs, oh and better battery life too. Seems straight forward... ish. I used a lot of hardware that allowed me to overclock safely on the auto, so I am not really familiar with the boundaries of dropping volts or limiting clocks. The laptop is a R7 5800H with a 3070, I don't intend on running everything on max, just clean. With that in mind, I think I could safely undervolt the GPU with MSI afterburner and there appears to be a few generic how to's on that topic. Though AMD and undervolting seem harder to do, most reference intel and it's software, but state AMD doesn't allow it. Then on the other hand people say use "x" to do this and "x" to do that, but all on specific hardware.

More to the point, can it be done? Where can I learn about safe limits of underclocking? (some say it's safe, some say you can brick your device... I have no clue).

Back
Top Bottom