• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Thermal throttling Gigabyte Master 3080

Associate
Seems to be a bit of a pos this card, their 2080ti xtreme was also a pile of dung.
Tbh I am fairly disappointed overall, I love the look of the card, it’s massive, best looking 30 series out there IMO, my case is similar to the lian li pc011, it fills it nicely. I did like the look of the lcd, software is garbage, system info it displays gets stuck all the time, I resorted to deleting it and leaving the silly tamagotchi style thing on.

I’ll have a do with the ssd heatsinks to start, hopefully someone will find out from gigabyte if we can add the thermal pads ourselves to try and keep the 4 year warranty.

I do have 3 x 3070s so not the end of the world if I need to send it back at some point, just don’t really want to have to.

Caporegime
Tbh I am fairly disappointed overall, I love the look of the card, it’s massive, best looking 30 series out there IMO, my case is similar to the lian li pc011, it fills it nicely. I did like the look of the lcd, software is garbage, system info it displays gets stuck all the time, I resorted to deleting it and leaving the silly tamagotchi style thing on.

I’ll have a do with the ssd heatsinks to start, hopefully someone will find out from gigabyte if we can add the thermal pads ourselves to try and keep the 4 year warranty.

I do have 3 x 3070s so not the end of the world if I need to send it back at some point, just don’t really want to have to.

Speaks volumes that they had to do a second revision of the eagle and then a second revision of this, they just seem to slap cards together and hope for the best.

Associate
Good luck no matter what you decide. As soon as I've gotten a response from gigabyte and or the SSD aluminium heatsink / thermal pad thing works I'll post back here. As both are better than nothing and to not loose the warranty :)

@Smiffy-UK did you ever get an answer from Gigabyte? I'm waiting on an 3080 Aorus Xtreme myself and don't know whether to cancel / try swap for a ROG Strix instead!

Associate
OP
@Smiffy-UK did you ever get an answer from Gigabyte? I'm waiting on an 3080 Aorus Xtreme myself and don't know whether to cancel / try swap for a ROG Strix instead!

Nope no reply, I didn't email though. As the situation is rubbish with supplies I decided not to even RMA if they accepted it, I just purchased 1,2&3 mm glid thermal pads and did the repair myself. Works like a charm. Memory junction temps never go over 82C mining for days.

Soldato
Speaks volumes that they had to do a second revision of the eagle and then a second revision of this, they just seem to slap cards together and hope for the best.

Gigabyte card's always have engineering issues, it's what keeps me away from trying their motherboards

Associate
Nope no reply, I didn't email though. As the situation is rubbish with supplies I decided not to even RMA if they accepted it, I just purchased 1,2&3 mm glid thermal pads and did the repair myself. Works like a charm. Memory junction temps never go over 82C mining for days.

So the thermal throttling only comes because of the ram heat? - and only that? interesting. And so you put some pads on the ram and no more throttling anymore?
btw any other cards that dont cool their memory well?

Associate

I replaced the all the thermal pads completely with thermalright 12.8 W/mK on my aorus master 3080 rev1 and still see memory temps hitting 110c while mining. -200 on the core, 70% Power Limit. Not sure what the problem is. 3mm on the back, 1mm and 2mm on the front.

Associate
I replaced the all the thermal pads completely with thermalright 12.8 W/mK on my aorus master 3080 rev1 and still see memory temps hitting 110c while mining. -200 on the core, 70% Power Limit. Not sure what the problem is. 3mm on the back, 1mm and 2mm on the front.

I just got this card to replace the 3080fe I sold. Mining I have it at 60% power, -500 on the core and +900 on the memory. I get about 90-91 MH/s with memory temps around 92-96. Fans at 80% which is fairly quite and a desk fan pointed at the card aswell with the side panel off.

Had the same set up with the fe card and that was getting 102-106 on the memory.

Soldato
Is it the mining that throttles the card? Never seen temps over 70c during 4K games like CP2077, COD etc?

Maybe depends on the game. I just finished playing 2 hours of ARK survival Evolved and the memory junction temp was at 96C solid according to GPU-Z sensor readings. This is on a 3080FE. What were Nvidia thinking..:mad::confused:

Associate
So the thermal throttling only comes because of the ram heat? - and only that? interesting. And so you put some pads on the ram and no more throttling anymore?
btw any other cards that dont cool their memory well?

I can confirm as someone that owns both an Aorus Xtreme and a Rog Strix 3080, the memory pads on the Xtreme are utter cack marshmallow things and thermal throttle from day one and worse deteriorate over time too. Replacing them takes circa 20 minutes (leaving all other OEM pads) with in my case Gelid GP-Ultimate and resulted in a card that then slightly outperforms the Rog Strix. I plan to upgrade the Rog Strix also, but it at least has half decent pads to start with. I'm still undecided which card to keep.

I also used Artic Silver on the GPU when I replaced it.

Aorus Xtreme GPU temps at 100% load now 5 degrees lower than unmodified Rog Strix and memory temps 17 degrees C lower.

Last edited:
Associate

Something is wrong. I replaced mine and temps dropped from 110 Degrees C to 70 Degrees C while mining at +1000 memory speed.

nb - memory pads round a 3080 GPU should all be 2mm. I used 4 layers of Gelid 0.5mm as it congeals.

Associate
OK I just did the same upgrade on the Rog Strix. It did indeed already have decent dense "Blutack" like thermal pads and better looking thermal compound on the GPU.

So now, Eth mining at +1000 memory, 63% power the Asus Rog Strix GPU is 4 Degrees C warmer and the RAM is 8 Degrees C warmer than the Gigabyte Xtreme. I put that down to the massive heatsink and heatpipes on the Aorus Xtreme. Strange that Gigabyte skimped a few dollars on thermal pads?!

Also to note that the default clock speed curve on the Gigabyte is seemingly higher and the card is slightly faster. Presumably thats a manufacturer BIOS choice.

So my conclusion is - if you don't want to tamper and just want it to work - get the Rog Strix. If you want the fastest card and are happy to modify it as above - get the Aorus Xtreme.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom