• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Thermal throttling Gigabyte Master 3080

Associate
Hey, so I've had my 3080 Gigabyte Aorus Master for a couple of weeks now and I've noticed it thermal throttles whilst playing games and mining, to the point I get a crash to desktop and I've had 1 forced reboot.

For a premium product I'm surprised they didn't stick more or higher quality thermal pads to the memory chips.

My questions are,

A) Can I request a RMA via the place I purchased it to get the thermal pads added/replaced? (So I can keep the warranty)

Or

B) can I just do it myself and still keep the warranty? 4 years of warranty is a lot to throw away by having to fix it yourself because it's not working as it should?

I'd really appreciate help on this situation.

Associate
I have the same card and I can confirm I didn't noticed any throttling neither crashes while doing sim racing for couple of hours in a row, frames were constant the whole time, resolution I use is 5120x1440 and the details on max in assetto corsa competizione, getting around 110 fps.

Also with 3d mark and other benchmarks, memory junction temperature (hwinfo) never gone over 94°C.

Associate
My 3080 master thermal throttles quite often, also looking into replacing thermal pads but having the 4 year warranty is stopping me doing it.

Also the thought of having to rma it, not knowing if it’ll come back anytime soon.

Associate
My 3080 master thermal throttles quite often, also looking into replacing thermal pads but having the 4 year warranty is stopping me doing it.

Also the thought of having to rma it, not knowing if it’ll come back anytime soon.
maybe its your case not giving the card enough airflow.

Associate
OP
maybe its your case not giving the card enough airflow.

I know it's not the person you quoted lol but just to confirm I'm in an open air bench mining. Well trying to find a balance.

There's quite a few posts now and a couple of mining YTers had the same issue. Just the USA have the right to repair, we don't lol. The YTer that has the 3080 master is son of a tech, his video on changing his pads is: https://youtu.be/rH3Oavi-0OE

2 more videos a week before that one came out him trying to understand what's going on with his 3080 master.

Also red panda mining had another gigabyte card the OC gaming one and had to do the same.

And this is a guy from reddit who also has a master and had to do the same. Another American I think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NiceHash/c...n_my/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Associate
OP
I've got 6x 140mm be quiet silent wings 3 high speed fans running at 100%,

3 as intake front, 3 as exhaust 1 back and 2 top.

It's going to have to be an RMA to see if they can put the thermal pads on the backplate.

The post I posted from.reddit the guy who took his master apart said there are marking for the pads to be installed but they weren't put there.

Basically gigabyte skimped out on all models lol. It's all going to come to light soon with the more who report it with HW infos new update and if the cards stop working due to the chips going pop.

And again, I'll mention not long after the 3080 master came out. They bring out a Revision 2.0. Like wtf!

I'm so tempted to just get a 3090 and sell this card. What's another £700, either than or I "fix" the card myself with thermal pads and loose my warranty then I'm out of pocket by £950 as that's what I paid for the 3080 master.

Associate
I've got 6x 140mm be quiet silent wings 3 high speed fans running at 100%,

3 as intake front, 3 as exhaust 1 back and 2 top.

It's going to have to be an RMA to see if they can put the thermal pads on the backplate.

The post I posted from.reddit the guy who took his master apart said there are marking for the pads to be installed but they weren't put there.

Basically gigabyte skimped out on all models lol. It's all going to come to light soon with the more who report it with HW infos new update and if the cards stop working due to the chips going pop.

And again, I'll mention not long after the 3080 master came out. They bring out a Revision 2.0. Like wtf!

I'm so tempted to just get a 3090 and sell this card. What's another £700, either than or I "fix" the card myself with thermal pads and loose my warranty then I'm out of pocket by £950 as that's what I paid for the 3080 master.

I think with the market as it currently is, it should be no issue getting £950 back, that’s what I paid for mine. I watched the video of the guy putting the thermal pads on, the part where he mentions about getting a refund over getting another card also puts me off rma, and it’s hard getting a 3080, and I don’t fancy paying nearly double for 10% more performance.

Associate
Antec p120
And even still, when it’s open. Mounted vertically, so the fans are actually blowing onto the backplate, it’s better, but still after a bit of gaming/mining, it is still throttling.
I’m probably just going to take it apart and add some decent thermal pads like the guy in the yt video, seemed to solve the exact issue I’m having with this card.

Associate
OP
And even still, when it’s open. Mounted vertically, so the fans are actually blowing onto the backplate, it’s better, but still after a bit of gaming/mining, it is still throttling.
I’m probably just going to take it apart and add some decent thermal pads like the guy in the yt video, seemed to solve the exact issue I’m having with this card.

One thing we can do is buy some SSD aluminium SSD heatsinks with fins. They come with thermal pads but have a low wk mark. So can buy 120*20 pads with a higher thermal wk mark like 6 or more. I'm looking for an 8 wk mark. That way we don't ruin our warranty, it might help. Might not.

Also we can even email gigabyte and ask if we are allowed to unscrew our backplate without voiding our warranty. That one won't cost us anything and right now we only have money and our 4 year warranty to loose.

Good luck no matter what you decide. As soon as I've gotten a response from gigabyte and or the SSD aluminium heatsink / thermal pad thing works I'll post back here. As both are better than nothing and to not loose the warranty :)

Associate
i dunno then. im still waiting for my xtreme. i hope it does not have this problem though. sounds ******
This is just a general problem for most 3080s/3090s, the gddr6x memory gets hot. Have a look on Tom’s hardware. Hwinfo has just been updated. Shows memory temps. Getting over 100c in gaming upto 120c mining. Only thing you can hope is that they have started using higher quality pads and more of them, otherwise you will have the same issue.

Associate
This is just a general problem for most 3080s/3090s, the gddr6x memory gets hot. Have a look on Tom’s hardware. Hwinfo has just been updated. Shows memory temps. Getting over 100c in gaming upto 120c mining. Only thing you can hope is that they have started using higher quality pads and more of them, otherwise you will have the same issue.

my card limited to 60% power, gpu temps are around 36c mining, even, core underclocked by 502mhz and memory on default clock and still thermal throttles.

Back
Top Bottom