• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Thermalright LGA1700-BCF Frame Corrector.

Soldato
Apparently it doesn't come with the lapping tool and that costs extra. :D
Then it comes down to how much you trust Thermalright's tolerances. The Thermal Grizzy is milled so will have repeatable accuracy, and Der8auer isn't going to skimp on sloppy machining or tolerances. If the Thermalright is also milled then we're paying a premium for the name and (presumably) smaller manufacturing runs with the Grizzly. If the Thermalright is actually cast in some way then you potentially have manufacturing variations, which kinda defeats the point of this thing :p

So who knows. Right now it's looking like you're paying for Der8auer's name and the premium applied to small manufacturing runs.

LGA1700_BCF.jpg

Fitted a few of them now.

It's worth noting the torque requirement is quite low / hence don't over tighten them (when you start to feel each screw bite that's about it).
You should notice this when you go to remove the LGA1700 mounting mechanism that the screws take next to no effort to unscrew.

Soldato
LGA1700_BCF.jpg

Fitted a few of them now.

It's worth noting the torque requirement is quite low / hence don't over tighten them (when you start to feel each screw bite that's about it).
You should notice this when you go to remove the LGA1700 mounting mechanism that the screws take next to no effort to unscrew.
Mines in transit, hopefully next week!

Not sure if i need it now that i think about it as the XSPC block LGA1700 mounting system came with metal washers so they don't crush.

Will give it a try anyway and report back once its done.

Soldato
I installed one of these yesterday. Didn't have any temperature issues, but I just wanted to take precautions to avoid having a bent CPU. Could be snake oil, but I just don't want hassles down the line.

Soldato
While I'm waiting for the Grizzly item to appear I ordered a couple of these off Aliexpress and fitted one yesterday. Probably took 20 mins to do as I have my system under a worktop so moved it to my build area. No clear instructions so just tightened and backed off each screw a few times to get a feel for when each one starts to bite and left it at that.

Put the system back under the worktop and let it boot and run for a while. Running Cinebench before and after 5 times produced about a 3 C drop with the frame fitted once temps stablised. I also noted a 3W drop in CPU power usage.

That could easily be within the tolerance of refreshing the paste so I'll run it again in a week. My system doesn't run particularly hot anyway so I wasn't expecting too much. I then played Icarus for an hour and noticed that CPU temps had dropped from low 60s to high 50s so again a similar 3-4 C drop.

No dramas or temperature issues so for the low cost of the TR item it's a nice little experiment maybe insurance? Might be different if I order the Grizzly one plus the lapping tool and only saw a similar drop :)

Caporegime
I installed one of these yesterday. Didn't have any temperature issues, but I just wanted to take precautions to avoid having a bent CPU. Could be snake oil, but I just don't want hassles down the line.

I'm going to check my 12700k on the weekend. No issues with temps but if there's any flexing I don't want it randomly failing down the line.

Would the issue be noticeable on the back of the motherboard?

Soldato
Would the issue be noticeable on the back of the motherboard?

Unless your cooler has excessive clamping force I wouldn't expect the bending to be obvious. Which is why I'm posting this as it occurred to me that my Kraken AIO has a very low but apparently sufficient force to install the pump head.

Compared to the Silverstone air cooler that I've installed in a couple of system recently which concerns me how much you have to tighten the screws to install the bracket across the socket. I suspect tower coolers for example need more force to keep the weight of the cooler in check. So now I'm not surprised that I'm only seeing a small gain if any.

Associate
I'm watching mine closely and have the frame ready if needed. I guess a 6" steel rule on the back of the motherboard will show if the pcb is starting to warp (mains off of course).

Soldato
Surely intel would have seen this and made the clamping better ? Nice drop in Temps

Guess it comes down to cost like Nvidia using poor thermal pads for the founders

Soldato
Surely intel would have seen this and made the clamping better ?
They have seen this and put out a statement saying that not only is it not an issue, but the flex is within design tolerance and any attempts to correct it (even the washer mod) will void the warranty of the CPU and the motherboard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom