They never turned up to fit my smart meter

Permabanned
It must have been a good 5 years or so now that a random bloke came to my door trying to sell me a smart meter.
He held one in his hand trying to upsell me, I wasn't long out of bed and just eyed him up looking for some sort of badge but he had nothing on him
I asked if he was from Scottish Power or something and he told me an abrupt NO with no follow up he just stood there, I asked him if he was just some guy going door to door try to sell meters....He nearly smashed my face in till I shout at him to stop.

Associate
Yes, solar & battery fortunately.

You are fortunate & I'm sure your investment has worked out very well for you, but it blows out of the water your argument when you fail to mention this.
What does your investment work out to in £p/kwh to add to your great tarrif. Do you have the benefit of a Fit rate?

Last edited:
Soldato
That's the problem, he's taking his narrative & good for him if it works, but it's a small proportion of the population.(I'm alright I have a wind turbine)

It's the interweb all over, someone thinks 'one size fits all' when in reality it doesn't and smart meters are no different. If you can make one work for you then great but you certainly aren't guaranteed savings by having one fitted and i think, unfortunately, a lot of people believe that.

@DXP55 - Are you still getting one fitted?

Associate
It's the interweb all over, someone thinks 'one size fits all' when in reality it doesn't and smart meters are no different. If you can make one work for you then great but you certainly aren't guaranteed savings by having one fitted and i think, unfortunately, a lot of people believe that.

Exactly. I'm all for renewables & moving to a carbon free environment. I think our aim is far too fast for our country. The investment hasn't been there for decades & I haven't seen any logical plans to make all electric happen in the timescale required.

Soldato
Yes, solar & battery fortunately.

Ah makes sense now. Probably want to make that clearer as having to invest £10k+ should be factored in to your running costs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like lot of these agile / surge pricing tariffs are only open to customers with EVs, battery's or solar so don't really help those struggling with the cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of these guys in this thread taking about how others are not smart for not having a smart meter conveniently have solar panels/evcars. This allows for a lot of flexibility.

This isn’t the norm, most people can’t afford to even fix at the rates they are being offered now let alone afford solar, ev cars.

Associate
Yes... let's go back to this.....

You're uneducated in this field Lee, step away from it to save yourself from further embarrassment.

You're welcome.
A lot of these guys in this thread taking about how others are not smart for not having a smart meter conveniently have solar panels/evcars. This allows for a lot of flexibility.

This isn’t the norm, most people can’t afford to even fix at the rates they are being offered now let alone afford solar, ev cars.

Soldato
It’s still only 7.5p so if you can push energy outside of peek, savings can be quite large.
Yep - I'm on it

The EV charge savings are great : 600 miles = £17

51986934799_903ff12d20_c.jpg

Associate

I've only argued against the blanket opinion that smart meters are bad. They might not be for everyone but fundamentally the ae a good thing. Eventually more people will have local storage, I believe the grid will then be able to charge these "smartly" for people when demand is low at cheap rates.

Caporegime
Soldato
..and solar and battery. You should have given the whole picture.

And your argument was a smart meter didn't save him money, where as it has as it would not work without it on that tariff.

As I also said I got paid to use electricity having a smart meter, you didn't bother responding to that though.

Soldato
Last time i checked British Gas didn't even want to come and install a meter. I might re-check as i like gadgets and getting all the numbers to send to them every month/when i remember is a ball ache... Plus i can then use it to demonstrate to my wife how much money she costs us leaving stuff on all the time. Haha!

Caporegime
And your argument was a smart meter didn't save him money, where as it has as it would not work without it on that tariff.

As I also said I got paid to use electricity having a smart meter, you didn't bother responding to that though.

My point was it's not "only" the smart meter as claimed here:

Looking at my consumption. Over the last 28 days i've averaged 21.71kWh a day at a cost of £1.28 a day. This is only made possible because I have a smart meter.

Thanks.

The claimed cost was only possible due to also having solar and battery storage.

No idea why you were expecting a reply to this:

Until the world went utter crazy, and prior to my solar install being complete, having a smart meter meant I was often getting paid actual money to use electricity, and if not getting paid was spending 1-5ppkWh on a regular basis. Totally great, I think I got paid ~£1.30 to charge my car one night. Now I have Solar+battery, so it's great for ensuring I get a cheap re-fill on the pack if the suns not been shining, or it's winter.

Soldato
OP

@DXP55 - Are you still getting one fitted?

Yes-new date in middle of May - Only because it make things easier for me - Not expecting it to make any difference to my future elactric bills - Just that I have to go outside to garage to read meter .At 78 there is not much left to look forward to..- so plod on as best as I can and hope for the best. There is nothing I can do about all the increases in cost of living and hope my pension can cope. Still it could be worse.

Soldato
My point was it's not "only" the smart meter as claimed here:

He say only made possible and that is the case, getting access to the cheap charging for his battery that he has bought is only possible due to the smart meter. Tell me how he would have had access to charging his battery so cheaply without the smart meter?

Soldato
Please can someone knowledgeable answer me this:

We're all electric and have E7 for water and heating. We don't have an EV and won't be running the washing machine or tumble drier at night.

Is it worth us getting a smart meter? If so, please explain why. Thanks.

Associate
Please can someone knowledgeable answer me this:

We're all electric and have E7 for water and heating. We don't have an EV and won't be running the washing machine or tumble drier at night.

Is it worth us getting a smart meter? If so, please explain why. Thanks.

No more meter readings. And if you want, can be billed for exact usage every month.

I would ask, why won’t you run the dishwasher or washing machine at night?

what benefit does your old meter give you?

Back
Top Bottom