They never turned up to fit my smart meter

Soldato
Is your IHD working same day of the install?

Mine still isnt working 3 weeks and 1 day after smart meter install, @BigBoy statement remains true on it.
Yes, it was working when he handed it over at the end of the install. Electricity in real-time and gas updates every 30 mins.

However, battery life on the thing is atrocious! Charged to 100% and only dropped a few percent by the time I went to bed but this morning it's down to 3%!

Soldato
I guess..

I'm super-cynical about these things. But you cant hide forever.

It takes me less than a minute to submit a meter reading. And in some ways I rather not know what my daily 10 minute shower costs me.
Paranoid android!

I get you. My feelings have turned somewhat apathetical towards it all. We're all paying for it irrespectively; so may as well get on board.

Soldato
Is your IHD working same day of the install?

Mine still isnt working 3 weeks and 1 day after smart meter install, @BigBoy statement remains true on it.

;)

Yes, it was working when he handed it over at the end of the install. Electricity in real-time and gas updates every 30 mins.

However, battery life on the thing is atrocious! Charged to 100% and only dropped a few percent by the time I went to bed but this morning it's down to 3%!

Yep they may as well made them mains powered only.
They Fe designed to be plugged 24/7 and only unplugged to inspect costs whilst walking around the house then plugged back in again.
An engineer came around on Tuesday to fit my Smart Meter.

It didn't happen. He couldn't get a signal to it after fitting it.

He then gave me a 'new' classic meter.
There have been DCC outages all this week, it been very poor to be honest, and also very demoralising for the engineers/techs in the field.

Soldato
Bigboy I have been told now the meter team at Octopus will contact me within two weeks, quite why they need two weeks I dont know, but suffice to say if this doesnt happen or they dont tell me something that makes me think they trying I think I am going escalation level as I think I have waited long enough.

Soldato
Got an appointment for next month now, they said was the wrong mismatched IHD unit given to me (they never explained why they couldnt fix this over the phone remotely other than saying when they tried an error came back saying was a mismatch),

So a month to wait for someone to bring a new one.

Soldato
Got an appointment for next month now, they said was the wrong mismatched IHD unit given to me (they never explained why they couldnt fix this over the phone remotely other than saying when they tried an error came back saying was a mismatch),

So a month to wait for someone to bring a new one.
At least they are looking in to it for you. A few of their other providers (BG specifically) offer no triage at all on e the meter is on the wall they could not give two hoots if it was working properly or not!

Soldato
The age of paranoia seems to be lasting an eternity, when will people get over this utter madness?
Mostly because people believe the guy down the pub who's sisters boyfriends brothers mum has one and she said it's rubbish...
Or because the internet says they give you cancer..
Or because the don't want a spy in the house....

The list goes on.

(Trust me in my line of work I have heard every iteration of the above statements and many more to boot!)

Soldato
The age of paranoia seems to be lasting an eternity, when will people get over this utter madness?

I said I'm cynical, not paranoid.

For me, I have no problem submitting a reading when asked.

Why would I then entertain the benefits of an automated meter reading?

Before you know it, that operating system you were freely upgraded to thinks it's okay to take metrics, show advertising on your task bar, give you headlines from newspapers, revert to its own software every so often.

Much like the Underpant Gnomes, as soon as the infrastructure is in place, and there's a chance to profit, more so than electricity, they will.

Soldato
At least they are looking in to it for you. A few of their other providers (BG specifically) offer no triage at all on e the meter is on the wall they could not give two hoots if it was working properly or not!

Yep its deffo moving now at least. Hopefully when the appointment is done its resolved.

Soldato
I said I'm cynical, not paranoid.

For me, I have no problem submitting a reading when asked.

Why would I then entertain the benefits of an automated meter reading?

Before you know it, that operating system you were freely upgraded to thinks it's okay to take metrics, show advertising on your task bar, give you headlines from newspapers, revert to its own software every so often.

Much like the Underpant Gnomes, as soon as the infrastructure is in place, and there's a chance to profit, more so than electricity, they will.

Are we talking about the same thing? :confused:

It's a utility meter, not a laptop. Once the initial novelty has worn off, you'll find yourself looking at the handheld unit once in a blue moon and you could switch it off altogether and throw it in a drawer if you like. The actual smart meter is the thing in your cupboard and the handheld unit is just an optional extension to the LCD screen on the meter itself.

Soldato
Are we talking about the same thing? :confused:

It's a utility meter, not a laptop. Once the initial novelty has worn off, you'll find yourself looking at the handheld unit once in a blue moon and you could switch it off altogether and throw it in a drawer if you like. The actual smart meter is the thing in your cupboard and the handheld unit is just an optional extension to the LCD screen on the meter itself.

It's a connected utility meter.

Obviously I'm only entitled to your opinion..

Soldato
These IHDs must have been seriously upgraded since I last paid attention if they now have upgradable operating systems, taskbars capable of advertising etc.

Soldato
These IHDs must have been seriously upgraded since I last paid attention if they now have upgradable operating systems, taskbars capable of advertising etc.

I'm assuming he's likening (or confusing) smart meters with Windows upgrades, for some reason. My IHD just shows some basic information about energy costs and usage on a black and white display, I'm not particularly concerned about the privacy implications of that.

Back
Top Bottom