Thing tgat make you go hmmm

Would be a shame if no insurance company would ever insure anything that went up there, because of the tendancy for things to go up in flames after being sold and footpaths being blocked. High risk area.

That has happened a few times in Leicester. Building burns after being sold….
Happened in NE London on a regular basis.

Developer buys building and applies for planning permission to build something horrifically out of character for the location. Locals complain and permission is refused. Building is empty for a year or so and developer appears to have put it on the market when it magically burns down.

Squatters/druggies starting cooking fires that get out of country is always a favourite “cause”.

Modified planning permission gets approved as no one wants a burnt out building on their street. New building/s look strangely like that in the original planning application, but there’s no point complaining as the planning officer changed recently and he/she is a mate of the developer.

Yeah I would be surprised if its insured actually.
The last thing you want to do with a building you want to demolish is to start having loss adjusters and insurance company people investigating.

1) have fire
2) quickly dispose of root cause, say nail in fuse board and overloaded circuit that fire inspector would be able to see if it was still insitu
3) demolish unsafe burn't building
4) ...
5) profit

Saying the above though. Many years ago there was a lovely house just down the road from my first house.
Something happened (death probably) and it was empty. A year later I noticed smoke from underneath. Was like 3 storeys plus a cellar. Smoke seemed to be from cellar
Couple of weeks later it burned down. I suspected squatters had moved in and had ended up burning it down.

Was a sort of upstairs downstairs type house from scale and design.

Last edited:
So they disposed of a pub that was making money for them ? that's stranger than the fire :)
I think Marstons (spit*) Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries have debt problems following Covid. They were doing pretty well and expanding if memory serves. But now they are offloading a lot of properties probably to manage their debt position.

Yesterday it was a new song discovery.

Had never heard it before and I wondered for a moment how I had missed it.

EDIT: posted the wrong version earlier by mistake as the description matched YouTube Music but it was actually serving up the official version.

Last edited:

Now MailOnline can reveal the pub’s new owner is jet-setter Carly Taylor who purchased the pub from brewery Marston's last month.

Mrs Taylor's husband Adam Taylor is shareholder and former director of Himley Environmental Ltd, which runs a land fill site next to the pub.

A source told MailOnline that the purchase was ‘all about access’ and followed disagreements between the firm and Marston's over an access road to the pub which they shared.

There used to be an old Victorian building on the seafront in Southsea overlooking South Parade Pier, that was owned by a development group which included Harry Redknapp.

The planning process was taking ages, with lots of objections and amendments required to the application.

The place conveniently burnt down under mysterious circumstances, the site was cleared, and the land was sold.

It meant that the revised planning application for a McCarthy Stone retirement complex didn’t need to even have a nod to the original Victorian seafront look.

It all seemed very dodgy, but nothing was even done about it.

However, I shouldn’t really complain as the new building’s design meant my balcony got a (limited) sea view! :D

Is it any wonder when developers and land ownership is as skewed as it is towards a complete lack of urgency?

It should be the case that anyone who purchases land with protected buildings should begin being fined daily for it's dis/misuse and thrown in prison for letting it burn to the ground, but nope we'd rather all wait until the inevitable definitely not unusual fire and eventual demolition. Only unusual thing about this story is how brazen it is, it is simply the norm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom