Things to do when built your new PC

Associate
Hey Folks

Does anyone have a list of settings or stuff you should do when you first build a new PC

Things like turning on XMP etc. or software to download or tests to run

Just wanna make sure i've got the best bang for my buck with my new build

Thanks

Soldato
Check temperatures under load with HWMonitor or similar. (you don't want your shiny new toy to overheat)
Make sure your monitor is set to the right refresh rate in Windows, and variable refresh rate enabled. (so you're using what you paid for)
Do a bunch of stuff, such as gaming, that represents a workload you're likely to do. (to discover defective components)

Soldato
You can't affect that after buying the parts.
Component selection is what decides that.

Absolutely this. Get the component choices right in the first place - we can certainly help with that. Once you've got that bit right then you can decide on benchmarks/tests/settings etc to get it running as it should. Doing it the other way around (buying stuff and then deciding on testing/changing settings etc) doesn't make sense - if the component choices are wrong no amount of changing settings are going to help

Associate
OP
You can't affect that after buying the parts.
Component selection is what decides that.

You've not understood what I meant.

Im asking about settings in Bios or on the stuff uve purchased I should be activating. Like XMP. I know there are a few things I should be doing now its all built.

Associate
OP
Absolutely this. Get the component choices right in the first place - we can certainly help with that. Once you've got that bit right then you can decide on benchmarks/tests/settings etc to get it running as it should. Doing it the other way around (buying stuff and then deciding on testing/changing settings etc) doesn't make sense - if the component choices are wrong no amount of changing settings are going to help

I've already built the PC.

H100i SE Platinum CPU Cooler
Asus Rog Maximus Xii Hero Wifi mobo
Intel 10900K CPU
EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 GPU
Asus Thor 1200W PSU
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 MHz RAM

Reused Parts
2 x 1TB HDD
1 x 250GB SSD
Coolermaster Haf X case

So i just wanted to know settings to activate like XMP in Bios I should be doing as a starting point

Caporegime

Intel 10900K CPU
EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 GPU
Asus Thor 1200W PSU

Reused Parts
2 x 1TB HDD
1 x 250GB SSD
Coolermaster Haf X case

So i just wanted to know settings to activate like XMP in Bios I should be doing as a starting point

that is the only thing you need to do is calibrate fans using hardware monitor in bios and activate xmp nothing else

Caporegime
Run some benchmarks and maybe do a bit of overclocking to max out performance.

overclocking these days is pointless he has a 3080 it's more than capable and if he makes system unstable then he will get corrupt files and crashes. all for that extra 1-3% it's not worth the hassle. i was using CTR by 1usmus and i stopped as it caused some issues hopefully his new software is much better

Soldato
overclocking these days is pointless he has a 3080 it's more than capable and if he makes system unstable then he will get corrupt files and crashes. all for that extra 1-3% it's not worth the hassle. i was using CTR by 1usmus and i stopped as it caused some issues hopefully his new software is much better
I wouldn't say it's pointless, I managed to gain performance while also dropping temps around 10c by tuning up my 5800X. Also the 3080 can benefit from some Undervolting to reduce temps / power draw and maintain the same performance.

Caporegime
I wouldn't say it's pointless, I managed to gain performance while also dropping temps around 10c by tuning up my 5800X. Also the 3080 can benefit from some Undervolting to reduce temps / power draw and maintain the same performance.

Undervolting isn't overclocking.

Also the biggest issue with the 3080 is the vram not the core temps.

Nothing can be done to help them bar voiding your warranty with thermal pad mods or water-cooling them.

Soldato
Undervolting isn't overclocking.

Also the biggest issue with the 3080 is the vram not the core temps.

Nothing can be done to help them bar voiding your warranty with thermal pad mods or water-cooling them.
Undervolting is the modern form of overclocking since parts now come pretty much maxed out of the box but there are efficiency gains to be had.

The VRAM temps are largely irrelevant for just gaming but a cooler core will also mean slightly cooler VRAM as its all disapated through the same heatsink.

Caporegime
Undervolting is the modern form of overclocking since parts now come pretty much maxed out of the box but there are efficiency gains to be had.

The VRAM temps are largely irrelevant for just gaming but a cooler core will also mean slightly cooler VRAM as its all disapated through the same heatsink.

Amazon's new game is killing 3090 cards. So I do believe vram temps are a problem for gaming

Soldato
I've run my card with the VRAM at 110C for 2 months solid before changing the thermal pads and it was fine so I doubt a couple of hours of gaming will kill the VRAM.
That is pushing out of spec and no doubt took some life time out of chips.
GDDR6X datasheet specifies max operating temperature as 95/105C.

100+C memory temperature means GPU temps are irrelevant for their temperature, because there's no contact between chips and any cooler.
Unless by Peltier set up to work in wrong direction...

And it was small miracle that those memory temps didn't cause crashing or at least artefacts.

Soldato

Intel 10900K CPU
EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 GPU
Asus Thor 1200W PSU

Reused Parts
2 x 1TB HDD
1 x 250GB SSD
Coolermaster Haf X case

By proper selecting of parts instead of crashing bang for buck train into brand&fashion BS canyon could have fitted fast 2TB NVMe into same budget and still have had spare cash.

That no doubt really old SSD incapable to taking more than one bigger game simply doesn't belong to this "picture" and is certain bottleneck for user experience.
Heck, Modern Warfare (against drive space) wouldn't even fit into it!

Caporegime
By proper selecting of parts instead of crashing bang for buck train into brand&fashion BS canyon could have fitted fast 2TB NVMe into same budget and still have had spare cash.

That no doubt really old SSD incapable to taking more than one bigger game simply doesn't belong to this "picture" and is certain bottleneck for user experience.
Heck, Modern Warfare (against drive space) wouldn't even fit into it!

Yeah he really needs to ditch all 3 drives and just get a 1TB nvme and a 1TB 2.5" SSD. I doubt he needs the additional 250gb and in future he can always grab another ssd

Back
Top Bottom