Thinking about buying a secretlabs..

Soldato
Good news.
How long did it take for them to send it to you?

I originally asked for a solution to the problem mid January and they said I would have to wait until April for a replacement back rest, I said no and to refund me and collect the chair and then they arranged for a replacement to be shipped and it arrived yesterday

That's pretty much the long and short of it but there were quite a few emails involved

Soldato
Finally some progress..

The original offer (last week) from Secretlab of sending a replacement backrest with a delivery timeframe of nearly 3 months has been resolved, and I should have it Thursday.
They still refuse to acknowledge that there is a fault with the seat base mechanism, but are sending me a new one anyway (go figure), which I should also receive Thursday.
It's utterly ridiculous that I've had to give the option of going to the small claims court to get things moving at anything other than a snails pace.
That said, they have agreed to replace the obviously faulty parts, so there's that.

There seems to be a massive issue with Secretlab customer service department, as in they will basically fob you off with any old excuse and just hope you'll go away.
I mean, some of the responses I've had were either, frankly laughable, woefully ignorant, or just plain outright lies.
Either way, my opinion of Secretlab is beyond tainted and I would actively encourage anyone to avoid them at all costs.
It's a shame, as it could have been handled so much better.

Soldato
@JonRGV250

If it's any consolation my replacement backrest seems fine.... for now.

I know what you mean though, the whole customer service experience hasn't been good and my opinion of them is tainted also. I won't be buying from them again next time around or be able to recommend them which is awkward because the chair is actually decent and is good for my back but if there is an issue the customer service let's it down massively

Soldato
@JonRGV250
I know what you mean though, the whole customer service experience hasn't been good and my opinion of them is tainted also. I won't be buying from them again next time around or be able to recommend them which is awkward because the chair is actually decent and is good for my back but if there is an issue the customer service let's it down massively
I couldn't agree more on all fronts.
God only knows why such a large company deems it's customers to be untruthful when relaying faults with their products is beyond me.
I'm just ranting now, but Secretlab asked me to send a video of me pressing on the lumbar support to replicate the awful noise it produced.
I sent the video and the immediate response from them was to say that the seat base was at fault, and they could send a £5 squeak fix kit to me.
Call me cynical, but thats just taking the p*ss, and skirting around the actual fault that'll cost them a warranty claim.
As for the warranty claim cost, I received an order confirmation for the backrest as a cost of £199, so it's not hard to see how they're just trying to fob their customers off with a cheap fix for a problem that didn't exist.
Rant over :p
When I'm happy with it working as intended, I'm going to sell it at a massive loss and buy a Steelcase or a Herman Miller.

Soldato
I couldn't agree more on all fronts.
God only knows why such a large company deems it's customers to be untruthful when relaying faults with their products is beyond me.
I'm just ranting now, but Secretlab asked me to send a video of me pressing on the lumbar support to replicate the awful noise it produced.
I sent the video and the immediate response from them was to say that the seat base was at fault, and they could send a £5 squeak fix kit to me.
Call me cynical, but thats just taking the p*ss, and skirting around the actual fault that'll cost them a warranty claim.
As for the warranty claim cost, I received an order confirmation for the backrest as a cost of £199, so it's not hard to see how they're just trying to fob their customers off with a cheap fix for a problem that didn't exist.
Rant over :p
When I'm happy with it working as intended, I'm going to sell it at a massive loss and buy a Steelcase or a Herman Miller.

Believe it or not when I typed the above message the backrest wasn't making a sound. Fast forward two hours of playing Forza and it's starting the same as it did last time. It's not unbearable but it's definitely there and last time it just got worse and worse to the point it was waking my 2 year old in the next room. If this one gets the point I'm demanding a refund I'm so frustrated with it!

Herman miller for me next time brand new, don't care if it costs a grand it'll be worth it for the on site warranty and peace of mind for ten years, wish I had just done that in the first place

Soldato
Secretlab received my chair and it "passed inspection" and my full refund has been processed. Yet to be received but no reason to suspect otherwise.

Soldato
An update and bit of a rant..

Secretlab replaced the seat mech and backrest and I received and fitted them, all good.
Obviously they wanted the old parts back, so I boxed them up and took them to work to be collected by their courier (Parcel Force), I also gave my work address to give to the courier.
On the day of collection Parcel Force didn't turn up at my work to collect which I thought a bit odd, but hey.
I got home that day and it transpired that they'd tried to collect from my home address.
I spoke to Secretlab, who imediately blamed the courier for going to the wrong address.
I did ask how Parcel Force had my home address when I certainly hadn't given it to them, or been involved in the collection process.

I got no answer to that question.

So..

On to collection attempt number two, and I yet again gave my work address to Secretlab.
Guess what..
Parcel Force turned up again at my home address to collect.
I've emailed the utterly incompetent cretins at Secretlab saying that if they don't collect from my work address by Friday, then i'm chucking the lot in the skip.

I've come to the conclusion that their customer service team have the collective IQ of a sandwich toaster.

Utterly useless company.

Man of Honour
Seems that they spend all of their budget on social media advertisements and then operate a customer is always wrong mentality.

Soldato
Z2605vQ.jpg

I think "Ken" at the Indian call center may regret asking for my feedback after dealing with himself and quite possibly the absolute worst company on the planet.
It's almost like they're on a race to the bottom with BT and Currys.
I wish them luck in the race, but I doubt they'll need it.

Soldato
tOlz1aX.jpg

Now on my 3rd backrest, and lets hope this one doesn't sound like it'll wake the dead when I sit in it.
But to be fair, Secretlab have acknowledged that there has been a fault with their chairs.

Soldato
My utterly crap Secretlab has started the dreaded lumbar squeak again.
I really can’t be bothered with yet another warranty claim, so..

I’ve just ordered a brand new Herman Miller Aeron and I’ll have it tomorrow :D

Soldato
My utterly crap Secretlab has started the dreaded lumbar squeak again.
I really can’t be bothered with yet another warranty claim, so..

I’ve just ordered a brand new Herman Miller Aeron and I’ll have it tomorrow :D

What are doing with your secret labs chair? I would be very interested in how the two chairs compare the lumbar squeak on mine although no where as bad as the first still gets on my nerves

Soldato
I’ll probably set fire to it, then blow it up, then bury it in the garden.
That way no one will have to go through the same misery that I did.
Jk, I’ll try and sell it on EBay or Gumtree.
I think the difference will be night and day between the two, but I’ll post in here my thoughts when I get it tomorrow.

This is the exact chair I’ve ordered..

Last edited:
Soldato
I would be very interested in how the two chairs compare
Comparing a Secretlab to an Aeron is like comparing a Citroen C2 to a Rolls Royce Phantom.
Yes, both are functioning cars, but that's where it ends.
Ok, that might be a bit extreme, but the difference between the two can be measured in eaons at the very least, and I've only sat in Aeron for a few hours.
The chair tilt is utterly sublime, unlike the SL where one has to tug on a lever and somewhat hope some sort of satisfactory position is achieved, whereas in the Aeron one just leans back and it's like reclining into a giant ball of cotton wool.
No levers, no forcing yourself against the back rest, no pushing your feet on the floor for traction, just lean back and the chair will recline to whatever tension you've set it to.
Absolutely superb.
The armrests are super comfy and have all the movement one would ever need, and the seat base just works and isn't like sitting on a slab of concrete that renders ones ass numb af in minutes.
It's pointless comparing the lumbar support, as one works incredibly well and is super supportive (and silent), and one feels like a brick stabbed into ones back with little to no adjustment.
Yes, a new Aeron is over twice the cost of a Secretlab, and some, but you only have to look at the feedback on here as to what's the better long term deal.
Tbh, I feel bit of a prat for buying a Secretlab and ignoring the advice that so many here have given when other members have asked about chairs.
Obviously I thought I knew better, but I didn't, like I really didn't.
I've just spent 10 minutes in the Secretlab, and can't quite believe what an utter piece of trash it is in comparison to the Aeron, or in fact (I guess) any Herman Miller chair.
That's my opinion, and take with a grain of salt if you wish, but I stand with my review :)

Soldato
@JonRGV250

Appreciate the detailed post, how did you determine what size and options to go for and did you buy direct or through a reseller?

Is it true they come to you for warranty fixes and it arrives fully assembled?

Last one, would you mind posting an update after the honeymoon period? :)

Soldato
Appreciate the detailed post, how did you determine what size and options to go for and did you buy direct or through a reseller?
I looked at the sizing charts HM provide online and also spoke to the very helpful lady at Officefurniturescene where I bought it from (great service, free next day delivery and cheaper than buying direct).
My chair has the same options as the link I provided in post #96

Is it true they come to you for warranty fixes and it arrives fully assembled?
Last one, would you mind posting an update after the honeymoon period?
I've no idea about the warranty other than it's 12 years (hopefully won't need it), and yes, it comes fully built and ready to go.
I'll gladly post an update after a few weeks of use.

Soldato
I looked at the sizing charts HM provide online and also spoke to the very helpful lady at Officefurniturescene where I bought it from (great service, free next day delivery and cheaper than buying direct).
My chair has the same options as the link I provided in post #96

I've no idea about the warranty other than it's 12 years (hopefully won't need it), and yes, it comes fully built and ready to go.
I'll gladly post an update after a few weeks of use.

Again much appreciated thank you, I'm seriously contemplating the change myself but it's a lot money, I definitely don't want used I just want to find a chair that ends the back pain it's just a massive shame there isn't a place you can go to try the whole range out

I did try one in John Lewis and didn't really get on with it but from what I understand it's not meant to be comfy at first it has to be used for a while to correct posture before it becomes more comfortable but that's a big risk

Back
Top Bottom