Thinking about moving to a Ninja Foodi.

Caporegime
Thanks, I'm looking at one of the AG models now which is more like a grill/hot pan. That might be the better way to go.

I only got the basic, small model. If I were to get it again, I think I would opt for the Sage one that is also like more an oven, I think they make a combo that is either oven or microwave or both. Bigger footprint but you can just stack it on with another appliance like a microwave, or lose the microwave and have 2 in 1 that way. A regular air fryer is smaller footprint but it doesn't stack with other things.

I would use that other side feature more than pressure cooking. Personally speaking.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My brain is totally frazzled. I think I would be better off getting a set of new, good quality frying pans and a digital cooking thermometer. :p There seems to be downside with all these devices when you read further.

Caporegime
My brain is totally frazzled. I think I would be better off getting a set of new, good quality frying pans and a digital cooking thermometer. :p There seems to be downside with all these devices when you read further.

Frying pans...Stainless Steel for day to day. I am a convert, pretty much all the professional kitchen uses them. Teflon ONLY for eggs. But even then, I can fry an egg (non-stick) on a stainless steel or a seasoned cast iron or carbon steel no problem. Steaks on Cast Iron.

Soldato
We got a Ninja Foodi (Mini Oven) yesterday. It's been fantasic so far and have air fried potates and veg for yesterdays sunday meal, chicken, bananas, eggs and baked a giant cookie. I even air fried a large leftover lamb bone, it crisped* that fat up really well

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there any difference in the NINJA Foodi Max AG551UK 6-in-1 Health Grill & Air Fryer and the NINJA FOODI DUAL ZONE AIR FRYER AF300UK other than shape. Do they cook all the same things in the same way. My wife seems to think the Grill version cooks in a different way to the Foodi dual zone. Surely it's all cooking the same way and its the shape of the thing that is all that is different.

Both are £180 at present so i want to make sure we buy the right one.

Caporegime
Is there any difference in the NINJA Foodi Max AG551UK 6-in-1 Health Grill & Air Fryer and the NINJA FOODI DUAL ZONE AIR FRYER AF300UK other than shape. Do they cook all the same things in the same way. My wife seems to think the Grill version cooks in a different way to the Foodi dual zone. Surely it's all cooking the same way and its the shape of the thing that is all that is different.

Both are £180 at present so i want to make sure we buy the right one.

Well the main thing with the AF300/400 is that you can cook two things at once with separate temperatures and time it so they finish together. Plus of course, I don't think you could fit a (small) chicken inside the AG551.

Soldato
Yep, I'm aware of that. It seems my wife just has a thing for the grill, but apart from a grill pan I can't see of any other cooking differences. Dual zone for me is the winner. I just can't seem to persuade her this is better than just having a grill pan. She seems to think it cooks in a different way but it doesn't, right?

Caporegime
Yep, I'm aware of that. It seems my wife just has a thing for the grill, but apart from a grill pan I can't see of any other cooking differences. Dual zone for me is the winner. I just can't seem to persuade her this is better than just having a grill pan. She seems to think it cooks in a different way but it doesn't, right?

The thing that put me right off the grill (even though it should do some foods better, like steaks) is the cleaning. The grill looks horrendous to keep clean because fat will splash right up into the fan area whereas the dual zone air fryer you just wash the entire drawer. I'm not sure you have to be as concerned with cleaning the top fan assemblies.

It might be worth watching some videos on YouTube to see.

Soldato
So there is a different cooking element then. Just watched a YT video and it has a splash protector and behind that is the heating element. Yes the grill looks a real pig to clean. So Dual Zone it will be !

Edit: Oh just watched a dual zone YT and the heating elements in that dont even have a splash protector. So it seems either of them do the same thing. it's just that grill pan is a pain to wash.

Soldato
For what it is worth, @Liquid_Entity we bought the dual zone back in December when our oven packed up for a few weeks. It's probably one of the better kitchen gadgets we own. On equal pegging with an electronic pressure cooker for sure.

We use ours almost daily and it's cut down our oven use for things we can't fit into one of the baskets. My only regret now is not having bought the bigger one.

Associate
The thing that put me right off the grill (even though it should do some foods better, like steaks) is the cleaning. The grill looks horrendous to keep clean because fat will splash right up into the fan area whereas the dual zone air fryer you just wash the entire drawer. I'm not sure you have to be as concerned with cleaning the top fan assemblies.

It might be worth watching some videos on YouTube to see.

I am looking at the dual zone as well. I recently purchased the grill for exactly this reason; better burgers and steaks.

The results are good! However I do agree that cleaning is a pain; especially for burgers. The amount of fat in the tray to wipe out and dispose is astonishing; even high quality patties.

I used to use an oven to grill burgers. At least with a grill you can have foil to catch the fat! The Ninja grill takes a while to cool down so its usually a morning job to clean the unit which is a bit grim.

The splash guard for the heating element works surprisingly well. It can easily be easily removed and cleaned. I frequently wipe the roof of the unit (like a Microwave) to keep the smells down.

Soldato
I am looking at the dual zone as well. I recently purchased the grill for exactly this reason; better burgers and steaks.

The results are good! However I do agree that cleaning is a pain; especially for burgers. The amount of fat in the tray to wipe out and dispose - its astonishing; even high quality patties.

I used to use an oven grill burgers. At least with a grill you can have foil to catch the fat! The unit takes a while to cool down so its usually a morning job to clean the unit which is a bit grim.

The splash guard for the heating element works surprisingly well. It can easily be easily removed and cleaned. I frequently wipe the roof of the unit (like a Microwave) to keep the smells down.

I put mine into a sink of hot water (oven gloves used) straight after use and it cleans up pretty quickly.

Sure I've seen foil used in the Foodi Ninja.

Associate
Thanks @aVdub I wondered the same, to line the tray with foil to catch the fat as it would make cleaning a lot easier. Burgers so far are the worst culprit!

Good tip, dropping in hot water. Its a grim job mopping out fat and disposing in the morning; hate leaving mess until the next day! :o

Have to say that I am super impressed and see why Ninja and the like have such a good rep - they are good!

Soldato
Thanks @aVdub I wondered the same, to line the tray with foil to catch the fat as it would make cleaning a lot easier. Burgers so far are the worst culprit!

Good tip, dropping in hot water. Its a grim job mopping out fat and disposing in the morning; hate leaving mess until the next day! :o

Have to say that I am super impressed and see why Ninja and the like have such a good rep - they are good!

I've bought a few of those bristle cleaning brushes that work wonders on the Ninja's plates while still hot. Later or next day= more hard work.

Not done burgers in there yet, but can imagine they will make a bit of a mess.

We do most cooking now between the Instant Pot Duo and the Foodi Ninja, with the IP being ideal for steamed, sous vide, while the Ninja carries on with the meats.

Soldato
Not done burgers in there yet, but can imagine they will make a bit of a mess.
what is the thought process for using the grill for steaks and hamburgers where - don't you want a lower heated griddle plate to seal the meat fast,
I can understand ninja grill use for air frying chips / chicken, but for steak/hamburger a cast iron griddle on the hob with a splash guard ,
isn't it better/more-economic/easy-cleanup, & valorizing the expensive meat, we'd typically put the oven on though to finish the foil wrapped steak though.

Soldato
what is the thought process for using the grill for steaks and hamburgers where - don't you want a lower heated griddle plate to seal the meat fast,
I can understand ninja grill use for air frying chips / chicken, but for steak/hamburger a cast iron griddle on the hob with a splash guard ,
isn't it better/more-economic/easy-cleanup, & valorizing the expensive meat, we'd typically put the oven on though to finish the foil wrapped steak though.

Sorry about delay in replying. Been away enjoying the bike and zip lining.

I've done many Picanha steaks and joints in the Foodi, using the probe and set to roast with a spray of Rapeseed oil on the plate and they've come out really nice, even though I'm a stickler for the 1 minute and turn for 9 minutes in a hot pan with the steak.
The foodi+probe does a really good job imo.

I'll try home minced steak burgers sometime soon and report back.

Back
Top Bottom