Thinking of a upgrade .. out of AGP and 754

Soldato
Joined
6 Sep 2005
Posts
3,815
Location
Cambridge
This is what im thinking but its a little too pricy for my satisfaction :( .


Shopping Cart (Prices in British Pounds) REFERENCE DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE COST REMOVE
CP-126-AM AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA4200BVBOX) (CP-126-AM)
£219.95 £219.95
MB-018-DF DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-018-DF)
£124.95 £124.95
GX-079-XF XFX GeForce 7600 GT XXX Edition 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (PVT73G-UDD7) (GX-079-XF)
£134.95 £134.95
Subtotal £479.85
VAT £83.98
Total £563.83

the CPU i want to keep but would like a good cooling thingy.

Can someone recomend me a good motherboard which has good overclocking features and is pretty good( and cheap)? i want socket 939 and PCI-E GC slot. possibly SLI compat.

Does the GC seem fine to you? a 7900 maybe a little to pricy so i went for the 7600.


and last of all im looking for a good harddrive with sata 300 and not too expensive.. looking to spend around 100 pounds on boths.

thankyou, shimy
 
Associate
Joined
26 Jun 2005
Posts
1,983
Location
Chelmsford
The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard is a good overclocking mobo, but it's a single slot solution, there is an SLi version but the one in the clearance/b-grade line must have been bought. There's not a lot of point SLi'ing a pair of 7600GT's though, better off getting a decent single card, cheaper and better (hardware keeps changing folks).

*edit* - drop the 4200+ down to a 3800+, not worth the extra £££ and the 3800+ has great overclocking potential.

REFERENCE DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE COST
CP-134-AM AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3800BVBOX) (CP-134-AM) 1
£183.95 £183.95
MB-046-MS MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-046-MS) 1
£64.95 £64.95
GX-121-SP Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-121-SP) 1
£144.95 £144.95
Subtotal £393.85
VAT £68.93
Total £462.78

I'm sure nearly everyone will agree that this is much better than what you chose to go with originally, £100 cheaper too. Wait until the OEM version of the 3800+ comes back in stock and get a decent cooler for it.
 
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Joined
6 Sep 2005
Posts
3,815
Location
Cambridge
o.....

ok i got you on the GC. my budget of 600 quid wont get me much with that CPU.
maybe i should extend my budget and work more sundays and holidays...


anyother mobo, cooling or HDD recommendations?

EDIT;After realising fenderbass edited...

thats sounds cool, but when i come around to buying SLI or CF, wont i be loosing a bit of money getting a new GC and mobo?

or will things be cheap?
 
Last edited:
Soldato
Joined
24 Feb 2004
Posts
2,793
maybe i should extend my budget and work more sundays and holidays...

just a suggestion, but why don't you wait for Conroe, its just round the corner, 3-4 months max and much better performance for your money.
if you have waited this long i am sure you can Wait a little more.

but should you choose to buy, then definitely go for fenderbass86 spec.
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
6 Sep 2005
Posts
3,815
Location
Cambridge
AMDPower said:
just a suggestion, but why don't you wait for Conroe, its just round the corner, 3-4 months max and much better performance for your money.
if you have waited this long i am sure you can Wait a little more.

but should you choose to buy, then definitely go for fenderbass86 spec.

Is conroe *really* going to be worths the gossip thats going on about it?

it does sound like a really good idea. just that... should i wait...
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
6 Sep 2005
Posts
3,815
Location
Cambridge
17in :(

hoping to upgrade sometime but id rather get a better computer than screen.

EDIT; yeah read up on more conroe articles and does sound rather interesting..
 
Last edited:
Soldato
Joined
24 Feb 2004
Posts
2,793
Is conroe *really* going to be worths the gossip thats going on about it?

it does sound like a really good idea. just that... should i wait...

yes it is much better, lets say a conroe at 2.6 beats amd [email protected] by about 20% right across the board and also they overclock to about 3.00 on air very easily, well from the few samples released so far anyway.

if you can, i would say its worth the wait. you would be getting a much better system. but its up to you really. :)
 
Soldato
Joined
24 Feb 2004
Posts
2,793
17in

hoping to upgrade sometime but id rather get a better computer than screen.

it seems to me that you have a buying bug, so why don't you treat yourself to a Nice 19tft and wait a little while longer.

what is your current spec?
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
6 Sep 2005
Posts
3,815
Location
Cambridge
AMDPower said:
yes it is much better, lets say a conroe at 2.6 beats amd [email protected] by about 20% right across the board and also they overclock to about 3.00 on air very easily, well from the few samples released so far anyway.

if you can, i would say its worth the wait. you would be getting a much better system. but its up to you really. :)

im just worried about how much it will cost alltogether...

well im going to wait for conroe.. i need more infomation about it now!
its is a singular core?
 
Back
Top Bottom