Thinking of buying an F10 M5 - Talk to me

Associate
Hi everyone I'm a massive lurker here and I know the above is very popular on this board.

I'm after a bit of advice/help if possible!

Backstory - Currently have a 16 Plate A6 Black Edition (Daily) and an E46 M3 (Weekend/Track) and am looking to amalgamate two into one!

I've always wanted an M5 since the E39 but being a lot younger and irresponsible I couldn't afford one.
I'm fortunate enough now that if I disposed of both cars I would be in a position to buy an F10 M5 for around the £30K mark without finance.

I've been trying to do some research LCI differences, warranty, service plans etc but thought this might be a better place to ask.

Any advice appreciated!
TIA.

TLDR; Have A6+M3 like F10 M5 - Help me.

nas

nas

Associate
Backstory - Currently have a 16 Plate A6 Black Edition (Daily) and an E46 M3 (Weekend/Track) and am looking to amalgamate two into one!

TLDR; Have A6+M3 like F10 M5 - Help me.

Will you be amalgamating their uses too?

i.e M5 on track? weekend & track use will surely spike overall running costs.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

I bought the M3 to do track days and so far I've only managed to do 3 in a year, the track usage will be light but it's something I'd like to be able to do.
I do roughly 7K a year in my Audi (2L TDi - I know, pointless diesel...) and have done just over 1K in my M3.

The appeal for me is that it can do both, I can take my infant son in the M5 and drive in comfort and when I want to release the beast I can.
Running costs aren't an issue, clearly I don't want to spend thousands every month maintaining but I doubt very much that would be the case anyway.

The warranty is something I'm keen on, is this something you only get on Approved Used?

Soldato
The warranty is something I'm keen on, is this something you only get on Approved Used?
You can put the warranty on any car with the right history, it gets massively more expensive once the car hits 60k though. One other issue that you could find is that the warranty cover limit is the price you paid for the car, so the cheaper cars are now at a point where fixing the car could potentially go past the warranty limit. The dealer I use said an engine replacement on an F10 is in the region of £35k, which matches what I've read online too.

Soldato
My mate bought an M5 for daily and track use, he now uses a stripped out RS Meganne for track and dailies the M5 as they aren’t very good track day cars on most tracks he found.

I remember him saying that after a while the M5 seems slow on the fast bits as you get used to the power and is not very capable in the twisty bits (that’s relative of course) and because cornering is more fun than being slow out and fast on straights you get much more satisfaction in a much lighter/nimbler car that’s slower in a straight line.

Caporegime
Not E60 M5 deep. Surely?
Probably not that deep, no, but would you want to run an f10 M5 without it? Whilst I’ve read it’s more reliable than the e60 variant I bet it’s still capable of ruinous bills.

Edit: just read this....

One other issue that you could find is that the warranty cover limit is the price you paid for the car, so the cheaper cars are now at a point where fixing the car could potentially go past the warranty limit. The dealer I use said an engine replacement on an F10 is in the region of £35k, which matches what I've read online too.

:eek:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Soldato
Maybe

40227962351_faa33e0679_o.jpg

Permabanned
Easy to cook the brakes in an M5 on track... expect to go through a set of pads per track day & fluid change if you're not careful.

Can't you just keep the E46 for track? Or get an MX5 if you need to recoup money from the E46.

You'll regret trying to track an M5, even if "only" 3 times per year...

Soldato
As a 22 month owner of an LCI F10 M5, nearing on 35k miles in that time, this has become very much a daily driver for me.

I searched for a long time for my ideal M5 and had to make two compromises on what was near on the fullest spec'd M5 available at the time.

It had 19k miles on when I bought it in April 2016 and there is not a single day that goes by when it doesn't cease to amaze me at how capable it is. It's brutal in a straight line, blistering in fact, and it never ever gets old. It gets addictive.

Some of this might help:
What age?
63plate onwards ideally (defo LCI at this age)

Nice to haves?
Comp pack nice, but not essential.
Most of the M5s I've seen had a 5 year, 50k mile service pack. Look for that. Other than fuel and tyres (more on those in a mo) and depending on the pack chosen, you won't spend a thing.
I've had, two full services, all oil top ups (in relation to the engine run in) and a full set of pads at the grand expense of £0
M Sport Multi Function Seats (an absolute must)
True LED Headlamps (look for the BMW LED marking on the headlamps).

Power Performance and Economy?
560bhp is manufacturers claimed output. I've never seen an M5 pull a figure that low on the rollers, most sit around 570-580 out of the box
My complete average mpg in my ownership is 20.1mpg. I do see 30mpg on a sensible motorway run. Normally I'm, around 18-22mpg

What to watch?
I've got one of the "new owner" engines, which basically means, the first owner, (i'm the second), couldn't quite wait for the run in period. Therefore I use oil, a lot, 1 litre every 5-7k which is well within BMW acceptable guidelines

Tyres:
The first few years of F10 M5 came with MPSS as OEM. Due to a shortage of this tyre sometime in 2013-14, these were swapped for Pirrelli P Zero which are an absolute shocking tyre (for this application at least). They are skittish, bounce, loud, and honestly feel like run flats (they aren't).
As a minimum, get some MPSS back on there, or MP4S. I've just had a complete set of the latter put on at 52k for £880 fitted. Prior to that, the fronts went from 17k miles to 52k miles and the rears have gone 17k > 32k > 52k

In answer to other stuff:
Easy to cook the brakes in an M5 on track... expect to go through a set of pads per track day & fluid change if you're not careful.

Don't worry, this isn't a thing unless you're a goon. Competition Pack helps with this, but again, the normal setup is fine and will quite happily see you around a track for most of the day. Yes, it's a heavy car, but the Engine and DCT combo is exceptional when it comes to engine braking. If you're not able to use that to you advantage and brake to scrub the last bit of speed off, why are you even on a track in the first place.

They are just as much a weapon with the right tyres in the corners as they are on the straight, and when you do line it up on the straight, most things will quickly come and go in your mirrors.

Yes, they can tow. They make cars designed for towing look stupid. Obviously not ideal, but still an option.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Associate
OP
As a 22 month owner of an LCI F10 M5, nearing on 35k miles in that time, this has become very much a daily driver for me.

I searched for a long time for my ideal M5 and had to make two compromises on what was near on the fullest spec'd M5 available at the time.

It had 19k miles on when I bought it in April 2016 and there is not a single day that goes by when it doesn't cease to amaze me at how capable it is. It's brutal in a straight line, blistering in fact, and it never ever gets old. It gets addictive.

Some of this might help:
What age?
63plate onwards ideally (defo LCI at this age)

Nice to haves?
Comp pack nice, but not essential.
Most of the M5s I've seen had a 5 year, 50k mile service pack. Look for that. Other than fuel and tyres (more on those in a mo) and depending on the pack chosen, you won't spend a thing.
I've had, two full services, all oil top ups (in relation to the engine run in) and a full set of pads at the grand expense of £0
M Sport Multi Function Seats (an absolute must)
True LED Headlamps (look for the BMW LED marking on the headlamps).

Power Performance and Economy?
560bhp is manufacturers claimed output. I've never seen an M5 pull a figure that low on the rollers, most sit around 570-580 out of the box
My complete average mpg in my ownership is 20.1mpg. I do see 30mpg on a sensible motorway run. Normally I'm, around 18-22mpg

What to watch?
I've got one of the "new owner" engines, which basically means, the first owner, (i'm the second), couldn't quite wait for the run in period. Therefore I use oil, a lot, 1 litre every 5-7k which is well within BMW acceptable guidelines

Tyres:
The first few years of F10 M5 came with MPSS as OEM. Due to a shortage of this tyre sometime in 2013-14, these were swapped for Pirrelli P Zero which are an absolute shocking tyre (for this application at least). They are skittish, bounce, loud, and honestly feel like run flats (they aren't).
As a minimum, get some MPSS back on there, or MP4S. I've just had a complete set of the latter put on at 52k for £880 fitted. Prior to that, the fronts went from 17k miles to 52k miles and the rears have gone 17k > 32k > 52k

In answer to other stuff:

Don't worry, this isn't a thing unless you're a goon. Competition Pack helps with this, but again, the normal setup is fine and will quite happily see you around a track for most of the day. Yes, it's a heavy car, but the Engine and DCT combo is exceptional when it comes to engine braking. If you're not able to use that to you advantage and brake to scrub the last bit of speed off, why are you even on a track in the first place.

They are just as much a weapon with the right tyres in the corners as they are on the straight, and when you do line it up on the straight, most things will quickly come and go in your mirrors.

Yes, they can tow. They make cars designed for towing look stupid. Obviously not ideal, but still an option.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Thank you for that brilliant response.

I must admit I went to bed yesterday somewhat disheartened reading all these engine failure stories! - I think I'm going to wait til there are a few more new ones on the road (F90?) before buying as I think they may tumble a wee bit more in price and there should be more good ones available as people trade up.

I'm not too fussed about economy given the amount of low mileage I do but its good to know it isn't on TVR levels!

Back
Top Bottom