Thinking of buying an F10 M5 - Talk to me

Man of Honour
It’s more a question did BMW type approve them for towing? If not then it’s illegal to tow with them as your insurer won’t cover you even though it is possible to fit a tow bar. Audi never type approved the RS4 for example and I think same with the M3.

Permabanned
It’s more a question did BMW type approve them for towing? If not then it’s illegal to tow with them as your insurer won’t cover you even though it is possible to fit a tow bar. Audi never type approved the RS4 for example and I think same with the M3.

On the latest version yes, a retractable towbar is on the options list.

For F10, I'm not sure... but would assume so.

Associate
Hi.

Im a lurker too. :) I looked into purchasing a F10 M5. Your best bet is too look / research the subject over in bimmerworld / pistonheads as there are quite a few owner threads covering these cars / engines in great depth. These engines, at these ages / mileages all seem to suffer from the same faults, clutch / flywheel, actuators, diffs, and on the tourers rear hatch issues. All major money, so its a game of trying to find cars that have had these faults fixed already. Cars with warranty, or at a warranty happy mileage go for more money obviously.

I decided, if honest, to swerve it in the end. Lovely car but the next model M5 is dropping cash now. My friend brought a 2 year old competition, 18K miles, that was £96K new, for £43K. I would rather hold on for these now.

Best of luck

SBK

Adz

Adz

Soldato
I have an F10 M5, well over 2 years in now. It's been to the 'ring, it's done track days, it's been a daily runabout. Here are a few entirely random points of input from me:

• It's what the motoring press like to call 'traction limited'. Hopefully you like looking at a blinking traction control light or going sideways. If you map it (as I did) it's even worse.
  • The steel brakes will melt if you use it on track, there's a lot of weight to deal with. I switched mine to OEM ceramics, probably the best money I spent on it.
  • Keep the suspension in 'comfort' and it just eats miles. I wouldn't bother with any of the other settings if you're not on track.
  • The gearbox is brilliant, probably one of the best things about the car.
I wouldn't buy from an independent dealer. Go to a franchised BMW dealer for peace of mind, comeback and warranty options.

Soldato
Hi.

Im a lurker too. :) I looked into purchasing a F10 M5. Your best bet is too look / research the subject over in bimmerworld / pistonheads as there are quite a few owner threads covering these cars / engines in great depth. These engines, at these ages / mileages all seem to suffer from the same faults, clutch / flywheel, actuators, diffs, and on the tourers rear hatch issues. All major money, so its a game of trying to find cars that have had these faults fixed already. Cars with warranty, or at a warranty happy mileage go for more money obviously.

I decided, if honest, to swerve it in the end. Lovely car but the next model M5 is dropping cash now. My friend brought a 2 year old competition, 18K miles, that was £96K new, for £43K. I would rather hold on for these now.

Best of luck

SBK

Yeah....no.

You're not being specific about the F10 M5 here. I think you've got confused. The car you are talking about your friend having is the car the OP wants, not the previous E60 M5. There is no Touring M5 F10 model, but there was in the E6x (E61), and very few F10 M5s (at what mileage, btw..?) suffer clutch, flywheel, actuators or diff issues if serviced correctly. So I assume you are actually referring to the E60/E61, and not the car the OP is asking about.

If these cars are becoming "affordable" to buy, that doesn't make them affordable to run, and that is where we start to have a problem

Associate
Hi. Yes, sorry for the confusion / you're correct. Im referring to the E60 / E61 v10 models. Like you've mentioned, cheap to buy now but still a super car to run, so needs a serious amount of research into each car.

My friend brought a F10 - 4.4 twin turbo (?) model with the competition pack / carbon brakes etc. Showed me the original invoice of £96K, he paid £43K. Lovely car or although that model doesn't have the `wow` factor other M5s had. The styling needs to be more aggressive.

SBK

Caporegime
Hi. Yes, sorry for the confusion / you're correct. Im referring to the E60 / E61 v10 models. Like you've mentioned, cheap to buy now but still a super car to run, so needs a serious amount of research into each car.

My friend brought a F10 - 4.4 twin turbo (?) model with the competition pack / carbon brakes etc. Showed me the original invoice of £96K, he paid £43K. Lovely car or although that model doesn't have the `wow` factor other M5s had. The styling needs to be more aggressive.

SBK

Where did he bruy it from though?

Soldato
£35k for a new engine? Surely that is BMW taking **** out of what ever warranty insurance they use? Or is it completely their own service?

It's probably the parts cost and complete job but, yea, always going to represent the worst case pricing scenario. Lot of ancillaries to deal with these days, too – never cheap. Hell, associate of mine with an E60 V10 has received several five-figure invoices. Last one was knocking on the door of £20k; that was for an engine overhaul (or replacement, not sure which; it dropped two cylinders).

Associate
Owned a 2013 LCI M5 for 10 months,used as a daily driver.regarding reliability;had both headlights replaced due to very heavy condensation,front calliper replaced due to seized bleed screw,these replaced under warranty,approx £1,000 for each of these if not in warranty.At moment showing 23.4 average mpg,I don’t drive it mad all the time.Accelaration can be brutal,you have to plan ahead,you can feel your internal organs moving backwards,it doesn’t stop accelerating,it’s awesome to be honest.Used 4 lts of oil,all 4 tyres replaced,but that’s just normal wear and tear.Black leather will mark really easily so be careful.Effortless motorway cruising,have seen 32mpg,like to tootal along knowing what the car is capable of if the mood takes me.Yes I know it’s not going to be cheap to run,but it’s a 560hp car,it never will be.Will look into buying warranty after 12 months.Do I regret buying it,not one bit,it’s an awesome experience owning it.

Back
Top Bottom