Thinking of ditching my Schiit Modi 2 and M-Audio BX5-D3 for alternatives

Associate
Hi all,

So I'm not really liking my M-Audio BX5-D3 speakers and Schiit stack combination. I can hear some computer signal noise which is coming from the Schiit Modi 2, I guess as it's USB powered. When I switch it off it goes away (I'll happily try any combo of plugs, wall sockets, power strips, if anyone thinks this will help). I'm currently thinking of selling the Modi 2 and buying a Modi Multibit - would this solve my computer signal noise problem with it being mains powered?

I'm also not liking the size of the speakers or the faint hiss. To be fair they don't hiss that much, it's probably 80% computer noise, 20% hiss but still, not ideal.

So I'm thinking of buying the Audioengine A2+ but would this play nicely with the Schiit Magni 3 and possible Modi Multibit? I guess it's double DAC'd if this a thing? Or is there another way of connecting the A2+ speakers and still having the option of the Schiit stack for my Sennheiser HD 660S?

Cheers all :D

Last edited:
Associate
Audioengine A2 are Active bookshelf speakers and the Magni 3 is an Headphone Amp. i have a pair of Ruark MR1 MK2 active speakers for desktop sitting on my Atacama stands and i use a Musical fidelity v90 DAC and a Magni 3 headphone Amp for my Audeze LCD2-Classics, Schiit Modi 2 is suppose to be poor. You will be far better off with powered mains then USB

Associate
OP
So I'm thinking of buying the Audioengine A2+ but would this play nicely with the Schiit Magni 3 and possible Modi Multibit? I guess it's double DAC'd if this a thing? Or is there another way of connecting the A2+ speakers and still having the option of the Schiit stack for my Sennheiser HD 660S?
Oh wait, just reading the Rainforest Q&A section for these speakers and...
If you use your existing DAC to send sound to the speakers, then you will input into the speakers with analog red/white RCAs, which will bypass the DAC inside the speakers. The internal DAC for these speakers is only accessed when you input signal via USB
That's that answered then :)

Soldato
You can bypass the DAC in the speakers, but then why buy speakers with expensive circuitry inside which you will not use?

What you need to understand is that the internals of the speaker will be tuned to the speaker. People worry to much about the actual DAC chip. These thing cost $10 it is what surrounds them that makes the difference.

For instance, I have some Monitor Audio WS100 speakers. They have a internal DAC and amp. They sound wonderful. If I plug my considerably more expensive Marantz HD-DAC1 into them and bypass their internal DAC, they sound boomy and rubbish as the internals are tuned to the speakers.

First question is, do you turn your Modi 2 off, as you are supposed to keep it on. All the time.

Soldato
First question is, do you turn your Modi 2 off, as you are supposed to keep it on. All the time.

That's only the multibit ladder DACs because they take a while to reach a stable operating temperature and then settle down, at least, that's what the designer said. However, I've started turning my Modi Multibit off overnight now and can't say I have heard any difference and even Schiit CS have changed their tune and now say the only one you absolutely need to leave on 24/7 is the Yggdrasil.

Soldato
Any other thoughts before I pull the trigger?

Personally,. I would get and all in one solution like the NAD 3020 V2 and some decent bookshelf speakers, like some Q acoustic 3020. No point in buying speakers and wasting some of the internals (DAC) which you have no plan to use.

The numbers even match. :D

Associate
OP
Considering simplifying the whole set up and selling...

Senn HD 660S
Schiit Magni 3 / Modi 2
M-Audio BX5-D3

And just buying the the KEF Egg...

Sorted.

Associate
OP
The Egg's are supposed to be amazing but one surely needs headphones occasionally?
I only listen to headphones really when I'm out and about so my cheapy Creative Aurvana Live do this okay - plus they're so cheap a bit of rain on them is fine ;)

I'm using the Senn's less than I thought I would and the Schiit stack driving them is just over-complicating things I think.

Soldato
The Egg's are supposed to be amazing but one surely needs headphones occasionally?
I have used a pair of KEF Egg (E301) at one point, and whilst they are definitely amazing for the highs and the mids, it is definitely lacking in the bass department due to the frequency response only going as low as 90Hz. A sub is really need to be used alongside it to make the most out of it.

Back
Top Bottom