Thinking of going on holiday to Brussels

Don
I was going to say something like "someone will say - go to Bruges instead".

:D

I am actually thinking doing the same but also know of Bruge being better, except there are no direct flight there.

we are off to Brussels for a couple of days in Dec, would have preferred Bruges but lack of direct flight killed that for such a short trip

Soldato
Eurostar from London (Or Ashford/Ebbsfleet if you want to avoid London and park right outside the station) to Amsterdam on your first day.

1/2 Days in Amsterdam - There's an unlimited amount of things to do in Amsterdam, my favourite being sitting outside an (actual liquid) coffeeshop and watching the world and people go by.

Then Train to Brugge for 1/2 days - Possibly the most beautiful place i've ever been, it's like a ****** fairytale town. Go up the Belgry, drink lots of gay beer, eat lots of chocolate, go the Salvador Dali museum, take a boat tour on the canals, Pommes met Andoulouse all day err day.

Eurostar home from Brussels - Whether you spend a day here or not, I found it to be an absolute dump personally and would much rather spend the time in one of the hundred other beautiful towns or city in this part of the world.

Assuming your going for 6 days, this gives you a day either side to travel to and from the UK, you could always squeeze Ghent, Rotterdam or book your Eurostar home from Calais and stock up on French goodies from the big Carrefour at Cite Europ near the Calais Eurostar terminal :D

Eurostar is amazing compared to flying, just sitting in a nice comfy seat and watching the countryside go by is much more preferable to cramming into a Ryanair flight with one tiny bag :p

Man of Honour
Eurostar is amazing compared to flying, just sitting in a nice comfy seat and watching the countryside go by is much more preferable to cramming into a Ryanair flight with one tiny bag :p

Damn straight, personally, even paddling a canoe to Oostende,
then walking to Brugge would be preferable to Ryanair.

Soldato
Damn straight, personally, even paddling a canoe to Oostende,
then walking to Brugge would be preferable to Ryanair.

Haaaahaha!

Although not without their faults, Ryanair are good at what they do, cheap no frills, short haul flights.

Used to use them a lot for work when going up to Scotland for a week and could fit everything I need in a backpack and despite delays they did the job!

Man of Honour
Haaaahaha!

Although not without their faults, Ryanair are good at what they do, cheap no frills, short haul flights.

Used to use them a lot for work when going up to Scotland for a week and could fit everything I need in a backpack and despite delays they did the job!

I’m glad that it was good for you, and long may it be so, we tried them once, when we had a surprise invite to Stockholm, and they had what seemed a cheaper option than SAS, no wonder, it landed nearer to Finland.
Thinking that we’d been unlucky, when my kid called from the freebie villa in Portugal that his wife’s cousin had supplied him, we jumped in on another Ryanair flight to Faro, eyes wide open.
My wife likened the scrum at Stansted to a “travellers’ jamboree, and threatened me with divorce, if I ever contemplated Ryanair again.

Soldato
I’m glad that it was good for you, and long may it be so, we tried them once, when we had a surprise invite to Stockholm, and they had what seemed a cheaper option than SAS, no wonder, it landed nearer to Finland.
Thinking that we’d been unlucky, when my kid called from the freebie villa in Portugal that his wife’s cousin had supplied him, we jumped in on another Ryanair flight to Faro, eyes wide open.
My wife likened the scrum at Stansted to a “travellers’ jamboree, and threatened me with divorce, if I ever contemplated Ryanair again.

Stansted is a nightmare, if you ever have to use it again the £7 for fast track security is worth it's weight in gold!

And not checking where Ryanair actually land is a rookie mistake :p I take it as standard that i'll be on a train/bus/taxi for a minimum of 45 minutes when using then :p

Man of Honour
Stansted is a nightmare, if you ever have to use it again the £7 for fast track security is worth it's weight in gold!

And not checking where Ryanair actually land is a rookie mistake :p I take it as standard that i'll be on a train/bus/taxi for a minimum of 45 minutes when using then :p

I appreciate your point about checking where the flight would actually land, hands up, my bad, but the scrum at Stansted was at the departure gate, there was no seat allocation, so when boarding was announced, it was reminiscent of those 19th century land rushes in Kansas and Missouri, first one who hammers his stake in the ground gets that piece of land.

Soldato
I appreciate your point about checking where the flight would actually land, hands up, my bad, but the scrum at Stansted was at the departure gate, there was no seat allocation, so when boarding was announced, it was reminiscent of those 19th century land rushes in Kansas and Missouri, first one who hammers his stake in the ground gets that piece of land.

Yeah, before they did seat allocation it was madness!

I never understand why people go and queue at the gate as soon as it’s announced when seats are already allocated, and if there’s no space in the overhead lockers they’ll check your hand luggage for free?

Anyway, let’s not derail this into a Ryanair thread! :D

Back
Top Bottom