Thinking of selling...

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
Do you really think a 328 is a significantly better car than a Leon Cupra R when taking into account respective mileages etc?

Soldato
Bes said:
Do you really think a 328 is a significantly better car than a Leon Cupra R when taking into account respective mileages etc?

As much as I don't really like BMW's, yes.

They're a far better car than a Seat, and probably a lot more fun to drive. You'll certainly feel more special driving it ;)

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
Hmm I suppose a move away from Seat would be good.... I'm not going to rule anything out yet... I went to Wellway BMW in Bath on the way back from town earlier and they had some damn nice 330ci's/ 328's in there but nothing in my price range :( I might just go down and test drive a couple next week to see how they compare to my LC

Soldato
Bes said:
Hmm I suppose a move away from Seat would be good.... I'm not going to rule anything out yet... I went to Wellway BMW in Bath on the way back from town earlier and they had some damn nice 330ci's/ 328's in there but nothing in my price range :( I might just go down and test drive a couple next week to see how they compare to my LC

I guess the best thing to do is to test drive one. You already have a Cupra, a Cupra R, although a step up, won't be a massively different car.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
Guys just so I know what I'm looking at in terms of price/ features, do you think these AC Schnitzer modified cars make good purchases? There's a lovely one on Pistonheads at the moment http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/71128.htm. How does that stand up in terms of price? The milegae is very low, and I think the price seems quite fair.... and the car looks bloody fantastic IMO.

Man of Honour
Bes said:

I've never driven a Cupra R so I really dont know. All I know is that I thought the 3 Coupe was brilliant.

Soldato
Bes said:
Guys just so I know what I'm looking at in terms of price/ features, do you think these AC Schnitzer modified cars make good purchases? There's a lovely one on Pistonheads at the moment http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/71128.htm. How does that stand up in terms of price? The milegae is very low, and I think the price seems quite fair.... and the car looks bloody fantastic IMO.

That's not a bad price - it costs about a £1,000 to £1,500 more than a non-ACS 330i I'd say, and it'll hold its value well too so long as you don't rack up the miles.

However, you could get a 2002 Sport saloon for that sort of money which will have the facelift, and the (imo) better looking facelift Sport bodykit. Note that ACS only adds a bodykit (and Springs, although with the Sport saloon you get uprated suspension anyway).

The only interior changes there are the gearknob, handbrake handle and pedals - all of this could be fitted toa normal e46 if you wished. Note that one important thing missing in the ACS compared to the Sport is the BMW Sport seats.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
OK test drove a manual and auto 330ci today... Both cars were overpriced IMO, but I was pleasently surprised to find the garage was willing to offer £6350 as a P/x on my car (34K miles 51 plate Seat Leon Cupra, silver leather/ electric option, mint condition)

I'll give a mini- review of the two cars:

Ok first impressions- looks quite nice, sitting in the drivers seat it feels very light and roomy in the cabin, thanks to the angle of the windscreen and the large doors and windows on the Ci. Both cars had full leather and electric seats, which were very comfortable, and that was without adjusting anything to suit my driving position/ style.

So the drive: As I left the forecourt, I was dissapointed at the lack of grunt from the car. I think driving a turbocharged lump where you get a good kick of torque from about 2500 RPM has spoiled me a bit :)

However, the 3 litre engine really comes to life after about 3000 revs, and as there is so little road noise, the car reached 60-70 very quickly without me even realising.

The mannual box didn't feel half as positive as my Seat's gearbox, but the gears had a nice, short throw to them. I was surpised to see it was only a 5 speed box, but I am guessing such a torquey, powerful lump doesn't need a 6th gear.

The auto box felt just as quick, and I actually quite liked the tiptronic gearing.

I would describe the power delivery as far smoother and quieter than the 1.8T VAG engine. As I said, you can very easily end up not realising just how fast you are going in the 330.

Handling- Now my Cupra has always felt a bit 'untidy' (if you know what I mean) in the handling department. There's also been a few occasions where the understeer has made for 'interesting' driving. Eventhough I was keeping to quite reasonable speeds, the 330 felt far more composed and surefooted through the bends; I would feel far more confident taking one at speed in the 330.

As for comfort when driving: Everything just felt like it was in the right place: I had an armrest to for my left arm, and eventhough I hadn't adjusted it, it just felt good! The fact they come with cruise control means it would just eat up those motorway miles too: very nice!

Overall though, I can't say I'd change my Cupra for one if it were not for all the trouble it's given me. I think I'd go for an auto box over a manual, but really I think I need to try one out for a bit longer than a 20 minute blast around some A- roads. I can see why people like them and the interior is a lot more pleasent than that of my current car.

The auto I drove had 51,000 miles on it, 52 plate, silver and was priced at £16,000. It was absolutley mint, both inside and out, and had that fetching Carbon Fibre- style finish. As I am only willing to spend about £6,000 absolute max. on top of any P/x, I don't think there's any chance of me buying it though!

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice little write up :)

If you like the low down torque, it may be worth trying out a 330d. Out of the two engines I prefered the way the d drove compared to the i, it feels faster too. Although the d's are more pricey (the Cd's especially so as they only appeared on a '53 plate), so you may have to go for a Sport saloon.

I went to a 330d from a 1.9TDI Golf, and it took me a good few weeks to adjust to the car, and really be able to start pushing it. It's when you start pushing it that the fun really starts :D.

Fox thought the 6-speed box was rubbish in the 320cd, might be better suited to the i's though.

Was the one you drove a Sport model? If not, have a go in one of those. I'm guess it was though as it had the 'CF' trim. The armrest is great, it's just a bit too far from the indicator stalk ;). I'd go out on another test drive if you can, you'll eventually fall in love :) - there are so many of these things about that you wil eventually get one for the right price.

Soldato
From my experience and my dad's, I highly recommend something that wont cost too much to maintain and run unless you obviously want to empty your bank balance :)

You can pick up a nice 1.9TD Golf 150bhp and have some change left over. (An ECU engine remap can get it upto 180bhp) which can achieve 7.1 secs to 60 rather than 8.30 seconds and it will still give back around 45-55 MPG.

Alternatively, a BMW 330D. :)

Soldato
triggerthat said:
From my experience and my dad's, I highly recommend something that wont cost too much to maintain and run unless you obviously want to empty your bank balance :)

You can pick up a nice 1.9TD Golf 150bhp and have some change left over. (An ECU engine remap can get it upto 180bhp) which can achieve 7.1 secs to 60 rather than 8.30 seconds and it will still give back around 45-55 MPG.

Alternatively, a BMW 330D. :)

Hmm, Golf 1.9TDI or 330d - which would I rather drive? Well I have both on my drive, and there's only one which doesn't get driven...

The 330d is by far the better car, yes the Golf is nice, but the 330d is in a different league. Both cars can suffer catastrophic failures - in fact my Golf had turbo failure at 10 months and 10,000miles. An ECU remap on a 330d will leave a remapped TDI for dead.

Soldato
NickXX said:
Hmm, Golf 1.9TDI or 330d - which would I rather drive? Well I have both on my drive, and there's only one which doesn't get driven...

The 330d is by far the better car, yes the Golf is nice, but the 330d is in a different league. Both cars can suffer catastrophic failures - in fact my Golf had turbo failure at 10 months and 10,000miles. An ECU remap on a 330d will leave a remapped TDI for dead.

Of course the 330D is a better car and I certainly would decide on a BMW if money wasn't an object. The buying cost is quite more for the BMW and obviously at stock the BMW is much faster than TDI.

A remapped TDI can be a decent cheaper alternative.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
I have VAG now though. A 150 BHP Golf would be a step down from a top spec petrol Leon.

Also fuel costs don't really bother me as my company pays me @40p per mile for most of my driving, which would probably cover me driving a ferrari in terms of fuel!

Soldato
Bes said:
I have VAG now though. A 150 BHP Golf would be a step down from a top spec petrol Leon.

Also fuel costs don't really bother me as my company pays me @40p per mile for most of my driving, which would probably cover me driving a ferrari in terms of fuel!

Ah that changes everything :D

Man of Honour
Bes said:

Buy a 540i.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Buy a 540i.
but then I'd have no profit margin from doing these 400- mile round- trips - I gots to keep some money for me troubles ;)

Fox did you say you drove a 330? Did you try both the auto and the manual? what did you think?

Man of Honour
Bes said:
Fox did you say you drove a 330? Did you try both the auto and the manual? what did you think?

3 Series wise I have driven a 320d, 320i and a 325i with both manual and SMG gearboxes - 5 Series wise I have driven an E39 530d SE extensively, an E39 525i Manual, an E39 530i Sport Steptronic and an E60 530d Sport Steptronic - so I've experienced all the engines, all the gearboxes yet not all in the same car :p

The automatic box is, for an automatic, very good and the steptronic mode is fun. But for me, I just found the manual better - more access to more performance more of the time. Plus, they are less popular so cheaper.

Steptronic was good, very good, but it's not a real manual.

Soldato
I'm loving the saloon, not sure about the coupe. :eek: What is worng with me! :( I usually always prefer 2 doors.

I was raced a 330i and a M3 (E46) on the motorway yesterday, 330i didn't pull away, by the M3 was blatently faster. I think you would be able to get a 330 for now, and the M3 would still be a big upgrade.

Soldato
Pants said:
I'm loving the saloon, not sure about the coupe. :eek: What is worng with me! :( I usually always prefer 2 doors.

I was raced a 330i and a M3 (E46) on the motorway yesterday, 330i didn't pull away, by the M3 was blatently faster. I think you would be able to get a 330 for now, and the M3 would still be a big upgrade.

This is true. On the motorway particularly, the M3 is insanely fast compared to the 330's.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
NickXX said:
This is true. On the motorway particularly, the M3 is insanely fast compared to the 330's.
arrgh don't tell me things like that! It makes my wallet cry as I get led to temptation :o

Anyway: I am going to try and make a few attempts to have a look at some vehicles I could realistically purchase within my budget... I'll let you know what happens

...Unless I get shipped off to France next week which work are threatening me with....

Back
Top Bottom