Thinking of taking up a martial art...

Soldato
OK, you can shoot me down if you want. I am thinking of taking up a martial arts class to keep fit and lose some more weight. I have eye-balled some types on the good ol' Youtube. I love watching Muay Thai and Sambo. Are these easy to 'walk' into having no previous experience and no idea how to defend a punch? What should I look for in a class, I am 21 and I will admit to being overweight now, but I am worried I will go and make a complete *** out of myself...

Has anyone here been in my position like this, and how did it work out?

Permabanned
Go to the beginners classes, then you can make a fool of yourself with everyone else....

No one will judge you, as the saying goes:

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do."

Associate
Muay Thai is a very good option. Krav Maga and Brazilian Ju Jitsu are also very good for self defence! You shouldn't have to worry about not having experience, the instructors are usually very understanding!

Soldato
If you can get someone to join with you it will be better. When I started Tang soo do recently I took my daughter and a foster kid along with me. Since then the wife and her step mum have also started up too. I chose TSD because the class is across the road from me and it seemed, and is, good fun. As for weight loss I'm looking at 2 stone loss since starting but have also dieted a fair bit too.

Even if you can't find someone a good instructor should be able to accommodate you even if you have no prior knowledge or experience.

I'm sure some martial arts are more about fighting than others so watch out for that.

Wise Guy
Soldato
Thai boxing or even normal boxing. You don't really have to kick above the mid section much in thai boxing so it's easy for beginners. And I've never been at a gym that was particularly strict about technique beyond the basics. There's no punch blocking moves or stupid **** like that beyond parrying. Although I would work out first to get your general fitness ready, and do some skipping.

Soldato
....I will admit to being overweight now, but I am worried I will go and make a complete *** out of myself...
Has anyone here been in my position like this, and how did it work out?

Do not feel this way. No one is judging you at martial classes. It takes balls just to turn up so pat yourself on the back for preparing to do this. I was in your position when I started Shotokan Karate.

I did it ONLY to get fit, it still does not interest me as a self-defence thing, find it too rigid for that. But I enjoy the discipline and wow..some INTENSE cardio. And of course..I will admit that it also increases confidence. Wont turn you into Jet Li but definitely gives you more options that you had before learning it.

Im not plugging karate, there are so many styles out there and no doubt you will get tons of responses. I got a buddy doing Systema - a Russian fighting style. In complete contrast to karate there is no uniform, no belts, no grading, no formalities. So you got lots of choice! Good luck and Im here to tell you that it will have a big effect on fitness (combine it with a healthy diet...this is very important)

Good luck, enjoy it! :cool:

Caporegime
Go for it - any gym will have beginners - you'll probably find there is quite a high turnover of people who give it a go for a bit in addition to the regular attenders at various classes. With Muay Thai you might well have some sort of an induction session you'll have to complete first before you start attending regular classes.

Soldato
As long as you do something that works and allows your to spar, then just go any where that says beginner friendly. MMA, Boxing, Kick boxing, Thai boxing or if you want something a bit more ground based and easy to start off with go with Ju Jitsu.

Just don't do the bullshido stuff that doesn't work and will get you hurt because it will make you think you can fight when you can't, so avoid Karate, Aikido and Taekwondo

Associate
For fitness I would recommend Muay Thai boxing. Be prepared to realise how incredibly unfit you currently are on your 1st, 2nd and 3rd sessions lol

Soldato
Go to various martial arts and find out the one which suits you best, there are loads out there and you won't necessarily find the one that suits you straight away.

If it's for fitness I wouldn't worry about whether or not it really is an effective fighting style, enjoy it.

:)

Soldato
muay thai,

best martial art. Don't worry about making a "fool" of yourself, just give your best. First time i stepped into my gym 6 years ago I sparred one of best guys there and got kicked pretty hard in the head twice and knocked down LOL

Get involved and don't be afraid to get smacked. You learn faster.

Associate
Just don't do the bullshido stuff that doesn't work and will get you hurt because it will make you think you can fight when you can't, so avoid Karate, Aikido and Taekwondo

Sorry but that is totally wrong, I did Tae Kwon Do for many years and it teaches you good technique among other things

I now do kick boxing and my Tae Kwon Do training has really paid off, you're also not going to learn much about self defence from something like Muay Thai

Not saying Muay Thai is bad, I really like it but saying other styles will get you hurt is plain wrong

Back
Top Bottom