Thinking of taking up a martial art...

JRY

JRY

Associate
Just don't do the bullshido stuff that doesn't work and will get you hurt because it will make you think you can fight when you can't, so avoid Karate, Aikido and Taekwondo

Hmm, that's not really a good way to look at it, but each to their own opinion I guess. Its usually the martial artist and not the martial arts that determines that.

OP is looking for something that will get him fit and lose weight, so anything that has a good cardio workout will do. Muay Thai, kickboxing, even western boxing. The best thing is to pop into you nearest training center and have a go. It also depends if you like the environment, instructor etc.

the main thing is just do it and probably hardest thing to keep at it :)

Soldato
Lol, if you say so.

How would your Muay Thai do against 3 people at once.

Or if I, as a Judo practitioner threw you on your head and then started stamping on you?

Pretty useless for both these situations if you ask me.

Soldato
find a MMA club near you and join them
this is a good idea because you will get the chance to train in different disciplines you can then make you decision from there :)

JRY

JRY

Associate
I disagree there is no martial art that is best for self defence, there are just to many variables involved in self defence.

I totally agree with this. I've heard of an 8th degree blackbelt that was sitting at a bar having a drink. Someone came over and knocked him on the head with a glass bottle. He died.

Many different reasons why people train in a martial art, not just to be able to knock someone out when you need to, but the additional stuff that you get via training is important. awareness, confidence, centeredness, timing etc.

Soldato
Lol, if you say so.

How would your Muay Thai do against 3 people at once.

Or if I, as a Judo practitioner threw you on your head and then started stamping on you?

Pretty useless for both these situations if you ask me.

I think this demonstrates that the best sport for self defence is long distance running :D

Soldato
I think this demonstrates that the best sport for self defence is long distance running :D

^ this is so true

for trainging for other reasons other than self defense ie fitness, discipline, weght loss i dont think it matters what you do

just pick something you like the look of, and do it !

Soldato
Do you want to grapple, mostly punch, mostly kick, a bit of both, mostly throw, do you want to spar properly, do you want to know a bit of everything?

Give us some information and I am sure someone can point you in the right direction :)

Soldato
Ive been thinking about a martial art, theirs a new one opened up in my town and it teaches ju jitsu judo bjj mma kickboxing, what the hell does all that mean:p
Anyway they got an open door policy and going by there website they sound very friendly and understanding to beginners. Could someone checkout there website and tell me what they think please.
http://www.kj2.co.uk/index.htm

Associate
My advice would be to look at your local area and pick something that runs on a day and time that suits your schedule.
No point picking something that you like the sound of but is far away and at an awkward time, you will end up losing interest.

Soldato
Wish I'd never stopped doing Judo as a kid now, although dislocating my elbow (at school in damned Rugby which I hated) put me off trying again in case I popped it again! :( :(

Soldato
Find a club and start again :)

I've had my collar bone broken due to Judo and was wary of starting again once it healed, but touch wood it's been fine.

I'm currently spending a fair bit of time trying to build up my strength and get fit again. Years of working in an office hasn't helped me (I was fine when I was a teenager, out doing cabling and installing systems). Once I'm feeling a bit more up to it I might just do that. :)

Back
Top Bottom