This a good deal from NTL?

Soldato
I get all sky chnls, broadband at 4 meg i think and 3 ntl boxes in the house. Also got the phone with them.

We pay about £110 a month for it all.

Anyone else get a simaler package and what do you pay?

ooo. we also get free phone calls to land lines from 8pm-8am and all weekends i think too.

Soldato
Phone up and ask to change to the Virgin VIP package, £85 a month for:

Talk Unlimited
Talk Mobile
Talk International
TV Drive
Extra STB
All digital TV channels w/ Sky Sports & Sky Movies
10MB broadband

Our agent messed up a bit I think and gave us 2 x TV Drives instead of an extra standard STB!

Give it a go! :)

Soldato
I think sky would be cheaper, 2x sky boxes with all the channels would be £46~ a month + £10 a month for the 2 boxes, 8mb broadband with them is an extra £10 a month I think, then you could just get a normal BT line.

So that's about £66 for Sky and Broadband plus whatever BT line rental and calls comes to.

Soldato
I prefer my solution of 1 x MCE2005 (soon to be quad freeview) acting as a server and 3 x Xbox360 extenders, now I can get High Def, DVD, Music etc where I want!

HEADRAT

Soldato
OP
Do kind of need the 3 boxes. one for downstairs, one in my room and one in the other room for the other person to watch,. My box has the cable modem thing in it too.

Dont mind the cost too much, but wondering if anyone else was getting a better deal.

Checked with sky, and they do come in cheaper, problem is the BT phone line, would add about £30-40 a month on top as we use to have BT before and changed to NTL as they are cheaper with the free call package.

Not checked virgin, anyone else use them? They do seem cheaper, but at what cost?

Free view boxes are of no use, would miss sky one and scifi too much lol...

Colin

Soldato
Virgin = NTL/Telewest from 8th February, but the Virgin package is available if you call up, but you might have to phone a few times to get an operator who knows about it.

You'd keep your STB's etc, just end up with a better package, give NTL a call and ask about the VIP package and see how you get on :)

Soldato
You can get MCE2005 to receive Sky as well (with some pokery) so I could distribute Sky as well, thing is I don't really like watching the crap on TV, it was more a case of I wanted to see if it could be done ;)

HEADRAT

Soldato
OP
Rich_L said:
Virgin = NTL/Telewest from 8th February, but the Virgin package is available if you call up, but you might have to phone a few times to get an operator who knows about it.

You'd keep your STB's etc, just end up with a better package, give NTL a call and ask about the VIP package and see how you get on :)

Cheers for the info - will ring them this afternoon/evening and see how i get on.

ColiN

Soldato
theyl also match any sky offers you see as close as possible

halfed our monthly bill last time we rang up , was a suprise and a half

Permabanned
HEADRAT said:
£1320 a year for TV, you must be mad ;)

HEADRAT

if you have the money to waste then why not lol

or just look around for 2nd boxs and get F-plugs and a spilter and do the same job as what ntl are going to charge you for for next to nothing :D

I did the same thing with sky

O it works best when you forget to tell ntl/sky that you have another box :D

Soldato
OP
FENIXfatboy said:
if you have the money to waste then why not lol

or just look around for 2nd boxs and get F-plugs and a spilter and do the same job as what ntl are going to charge you for for next to nothing :D

I did the same thing with sky

O it works best when you forget to tell ntl/sky that you have another box :D

would that enable us to watch diff chnls? im ok with PC's but no idea about digi boxes...

as for the cost - its not as bad as it seems as we do watch a lot of TV and use the internet a lot. So we dont mind, but a saving of £10 a month would always be nice

Colin

Soldato
Rich_L said:
Phone up and ask to change to the Virgin VIP package, £85 a month for:

Talk Unlimited
Talk Mobile
Talk International
TV Drive
Extra STB
All digital TV channels w/ Sky Sports & Sky Movies
10MB broadband

Our agent messed up a bit I think and gave us 2 x TV Drives instead of an extra standard STB!

Give it a go! :)

Do you know of anywhere you can get a list of all the packages that Virgin will offer?

Soldato
thanks for the HU, i've just changed to the Virgin VIP package as we have sky+ @£42/month iirc, ntl 10mb broadband and ntl talk unlimited and we pay ntl about £75 a month, so saves us about £30 month :D

Now just need to persuade the missus to let me buy my samsung HDTV :S

Permabanned
colinuk said:
would that enable us to watch diff chnls? im ok with PC's but no idea about digi boxes...

as for the cost - its not as bad as it seems as we do watch a lot of TV and use the internet a lot. So we dont mind, but a saving of £10 a month would always be nice

Colin

yes as u would be spliting the incoming cable

you would be in need of the following http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=63654&ts=82793
or this one
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=48074&ts=83072

you will also need F-plugs (same site 90p for 10)
and good coxal cable

So work like a charm as thats the same bits as what the ntl man will use

RE: my old sky setup

I had one box and run a coxal cable from the output to the other tv
and then bought one of them infarred things that lets u use the sky (or any other) remote in any other room (not sure if i can post link to that)

Soldato
OP
excuse me for being daft - but is it possable to buy NTL boxes? im sure i was told i could only rent them?

also - instead of having coax around the house, is it possable to get a transmitter of some sort?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom