This a good deal on a first car ? Ford Fiesta 1.0 T EcoBoost Zetec

Soldato
Coming up to take my test so I've been more seriously looking at purchasing a car, this one came up

I was originally going to keep it under £5k but this seems to good to pass up ?

Ford Fiesta 1.0 T EcoBoost Zetec 3 door
21333miles on the clock
100hp
clean mot
£0 tax
Service history

Insurance is "cheap" looking at under a grand with me being a 33 going on 34 year old.
asking £6999 (im looking to buy in cash with some help no Finance), this is at a car garage 2mins walk from my flat.

I'm learning i a very similar Fiesta with the same engine but tuned to 125hp.

I can give a autotrader link if that's helps.

Soldato
OP
this is a 65 plate?

Whats the difference between ans Zetec S and T ?

I think the only thing this car is missing is Sat nav (its not mentioned on the listing) but then again there is google navigation for that

Caporegime
From a quick look on Autotrader it seems about average to me.

How much cash do you have? I’d personally look for one maybe a little older with more miles and buy outright if you’ve got enough to do so,put what would have been finance payments in an “if it breaks” fund.

If don’t see why it’s worth £2k over your initial budget.

One a couple of years older with double the miles won’t be a liability by any means- and will be a lot cheaper.

Soldato
OP
From a quick look on Autotrader it seems about average to me.

How much cash do you have? I’d personally look for one maybe a little older with more miles and buy outright if you’ve got enough to do so,put what would have been finance payments in an “if it breaks” fund.

If don’t see why it’s worth £2k over your initial budget.

One a couple of years older with double the miles won’t be a liability by any means- and will be a lot cheaper.

It was the low mileage, next to identical to the car im learning in, lower than average insurance and the its from my local respected garage 400 meters down the road in case something went wrong is what has made it a strong option.

Soldato
OP
Caporegime
It was the low mileage, next to identical to the car im learning in, lower than average insurance and the its from my local respected garage 400 meters down the road in case something went wrong is what has made it a strong option.
As I say, what’s your cash amount?

If doable, find a similar car, a few more miles and a couple of years older, you’ll save a packet and have fundamentally the same thing ideally with no finance.

Another consideration is given your a soon to be new driver, it’s highly likely that you’ll have some kind of bump with it, not a given but most new drivers learn the hard way (I certainly did!) so why spend so much on something you’ll in all probability dink anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
It seems quite a lot to spend on one of those, given that's in the free colour and not amazingly high spec.

Also that's at the end of that generation of Fiesta as the MK8 came out in 2017 so i'd be looking at spending less on an earlier MK7 and save some money for what is fundamentally exactly the same car.

Don't spend too much on your first car. There is a very high chance you will do something stupid.
For the first couple of years I would focus on reliable more than anything else.

Get through the first couple of years, you will be a better driver, and you will have quite a decent chunk knocked off any insurance.

IMO better to have cheap and if you do something like reverse into a post, have a minor off on some ice etc you just fix it with cheapo bits and don't need to tell insurance.
Spend £7k and do something silly and you will have to go through insurance and then you have a large claim to declare.

Associate
Don't spend too much on your first car. There is a very high chance you will do something stupid.
For the first couple of years I would focus on reliable more than anything else.

Get through the first couple of years, you will be a better driver, and you will have quite a decent chunk knocked off any insurance.

IMO better to have cheap and if you do something like reverse into a post, have a minor off on some ice etc you just fix it with cheapo bits and don't need to tell insurance.
Spend £7k and do something silly and you will have to go through insurance and then you have a large claim to declare.

you can have a large claim even in a £500 car :) plusssssss the T&C will advise to inform the insurer regardless of whether a claim is being made or not. Whether they do something if they catch you out then that's down to the insurer.

from the sounds of the OP it sounds like its something you want. The majority of people are advising its the price they would expect for the age/mileage etc. If you are happy with it and feel a bit more comfortable as its the same as the car you are learning in, just go for it

Soldato
OP
you can have a large claim even in a £500 car :) plusssssss the T&C will advise to inform the insurer regardless of whether a claim is being made or not. Whether they do something if they catch you out then that's down to the insurer.

from the sounds of the OP it sounds like its something you want. The majority of people are advising its the price they would expect for the age/mileage etc. If you are happy with it and feel a bit more comfortable as its the same as the car you are learning in, just go for it

Originally I was looking at spending £5k max and try and keep it at around £3.5k
This has been the cheapest car ive seen to insure that ive looked at (bar oddly a 3000GT) Im also be looking at Sokia Fabia's , Octavia's , Hyundai i30's etc

Ive kinda regressed back to half my age and asked my folks to go half's on this (they just came into a wack of cash) after years of me bailing them out and never wanting a car when I was 17, ill be (sadly) 34 in a month.

Soldato
OP

My parking every time has been spot on, bay , reversing and parallel. To the point my instructor told me to mess it up so he could tell me what to do in case I did lol.

I did think about finding a sub 1k car but they are all pretty rubbish and to pricey to insure and tax

Soldato
It seems quite a lot to spend on one of those, given that's in the free colour and not amazingly high spec.

Also that's at the end of that generation of Fiesta as the MK8 came out in 2017 so i'd be looking at spending less on an earlier MK7 and save some money for what is fundamentally exactly the same car.

Originally I was looking at spending £5k max and try and keep it at around £3.5k
This has been the cheapest car ive seen to insure that ive looked at (bar oddly a 3000GT) Im also be looking at Sokia Fabia's , Octavia's , Hyundai i30's etc

Ive kinda regressed back to half my age and asked my folks to go half's on this (they just came into a wack of cash) after years of me bailing them out and never wanting a car when I was 17, ill be (sadly) 34 in a month.

~2009 Fiesta Titanium 1.6l petrol, <10s 0-60, cruise control, auto-wipers and lights, heated windscreen, £3-4k. Half the price with no significant loss over what you're looking at now (other than maybe the cost of VED)

My parking every time has been spot on, bay , reversing and parallel. To the point my instructor told me to mess it up so he could tell me what to do in case I did lol.

I did think about finding a sub 1k car but they are all pretty rubbish and to pricey to insure and tax

Yeah, its just different when you go wild so to speak. When I was learning my instructor got me to do the advanced test course as he was annoyed I was just doing it all right. I managed the advanced test reverse round a corner as well.
That didnt stop me a year later denting my bumper when I reversed into a spot in the dark, to find the car I was reversing towards had a towbar that stuck out about a foot.
I had a perfect circle dent in my bumper for a year, it was the days of the metal bumpers, modern bumpers I hate to think how much that would be to fix.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, its just different when you go wild so to speak. When I was learning my instructor got me to do the advanced test course as he was annoyed I was just doing it all right. I managed the advanced test reverse round a corner as well.
That didnt stop me a year later denting my bumper when I reversed into a spot in the dark, to find the car I was reversing towards had a towbar that stuck out about a foot.
I had a perfect circle dent in my bumper for a year, it was the days of the metal bumpers, modern bumpers I hate to think how much that would be to fix.

Im still in two minds, on the one hand I could get a sub £1k bucket and rail on it until it dies and just get third party level insurance, ok get a more pricey car like this, not pay tax, more modern and prob more conformable to drive (I will be doing long trips from oxford area to the far reaches of wales and Yorkshire to see family) and will prob make more of an effort to look after.

If people can find other options I'm all years. While thease cars are around £7k my original budget was £3-5k maybe a little more if its a really good deal

Back
Top Bottom