This Business and Moment...

Man of Honour
if you don't want to burn bridges tell them as soon as possible then. if the other company is asking for a start date, then just give your current employer 2 weeks. :)
I have been told 10th April but I am on holiday the week before, which means next week would be my last week in work, plus I'm off tomorrow. However I only have a verbal offer and I've seen no contract or confirmation of day rate, if I tell the project them may invoke notice and look to replace me when I don't have a confirmed job to move into, which would be bad.

Associate
I have been told 10th April but I am on holiday the week before, which means next week would be my last week in work, plus I'm off tomorrow. However I only have a verbal offer and I've seen no contract or confirmation of day rate, if I tell the project them may invoke notice and look to replace me when I don't have a confirmed job to move into, which would be bad.
tough one then, i'd get in contact with your new employer and getting the paper work sorted.

Soldato
Why are some people absolutely terrible at writing documentation!

The amount of times I've had to re-write technical documents because they make no sense and follow no sensible and logical path.

Man of Honour
tough one then, i'd get in contact with your new employer and getting the paper work sorted.
Yeah I text my new boss last night asking for an update, no response, I'll ring him later.

I worked for him in the same role before I came to where I am now so it was a 'do you want the job?' type conversation rather than any sort of interview.

The amount of times I've had to re-write technical documents because they make no sense and follow no sensible and logical path.
Writing documentation sucks arse.

Be an architect they said, it'll be fun they said.

Currently ripping SharePoint and SQL low level designs apart because they're in completely the wrong format, even more hilarious is the fact the SQL design for all instances lives within the SharePoint design. Like part of the same document. Give me strength!

Soldato
So I interviewed a couple of potential replacements for myself today which was an interesting experience. I do actually care quite a bit about where I work even though I am leaving so I hope they can find a suitable replacement but I am not sure the candidates so far constitute that, but also aware that I am not an unbaised eye.

I need a job, i work near Manchester. Go for me!

Soldato
OP
Man I'm tired. I tend to nail the weeks and then try and catch up friday night/ sat morning and my wife lets me have a nice lie in. Yet this weekend she had some cakes to get finished, so the kids decided they would just scream and run around like **** bags, which meant I was up at 8 anyway. Sunday was my wife's birthday, she was like stay in bed, we'll do presents later, but that would have been harsh. Coupled with that I've been sleeping like **** and I don't know why, so I'm currently feeling beat.

Work stuff is going really well, just need to block more sales time out in my day really. My contract position is very busy at the moment, too, so it's a case of trying to fit it all in. I've been eating like crap as well, because when you're tired, you just want to eat ****. Now trying to sort out a balance of looking after myself and working, without forgetting I have a family.

Needed a monday rant :p

Man of Honour
Looks like I'm going back to my old job. Wasn't as up to date as my current place or the best place to work, but similar day rate and 6 miles away instead of 70!

Soldato
So another update to remind myself of where we are more than anything else...

Rewiring the house cost near enough 6k but we are all signed off and ready to go. The house is 95% done and just needs the fire doors putting in (they are almost complete) and then furnishing. Nearly there!

On other business related news, the manager we have is playing silly buggers and I am seriously considering if we have made the right choice.

Been paying them for 2 months and they have done very little. Leaves us in an awkward place as we have an application in with ofsted with their name down as manager and if they leave it screws everything up. No choice at the moment but to sit tight and hope for the best! Social workers eh?

We have also managed to get in with the councils through various links in our network and meetings are being set up to generate interest which is good. Local colleges are interested in offering courses which will train our staff so from that perspective its all good! Running out of money at the minute though as we are nearly £40k into this now and down to our last £10k or so! That has to pay for at least 2 months before we see anything in the form of returns. Getting a bit tight!
Fingers crossed things are rolling come the next update!

Another update from me...

Ofsted application done and dusted - cost nearly £4k for just the application but its done and waiting on clearance from them now. Council are sorted too with planning granted which means we are just a reference number away from opening fully! (and the mandatory drop ins and visits etc etc)

Then end of the beginning is nearly here and although its taken around 6 months I am so relieved! Booked some time away over the half term and hope when I get back we can finally get started!

Soldato
Had an interview the other day and found it amusing when the hiring manager said that one of their projects was delayed because it's an acquisition of a small firm on a Scottish Island and the accountant is off for a few weeks due to lambing season!

Permabanned

Writing documentation is (I Think) a skill on its own. You can either do it properly or you can't. A lot of people miss steps and can't lay it out correctly.

Caporegime
So I'm on my 4th week at Microsoft and loving it. The introductory training is well underway and I'm quickly becoming familiar with their processes & procedures.

Also yesterday I closed my first case which i handled from start to finish. Was smiling from ear to ear as i left yesterday! :D

Such a buzz!

Permabanned
So I'm on my 4th week at Microsoft and loving it. The introductory training is well underway and I'm quickly becoming familiar with their processes & procedures.

Also yesterday I closed my first case which i handled from start to finish. Was smiling from ear to ear as i left yesterday! :D

Such a buzz!

Well done and congrats. What was your first case about? Are their internal procedures strict?

Caporegime
I can't go too much into specifics but it wouldn't surprise you to know that it's all focused around the customer service and the experience they receive. Going above and beyond every time. For Microsoft, it's image is everything. So every job you do has to be the best job you can do.

My first case was surrounding a certification issue of a product called SCUP 2011 (System Center Update Publisher) when being used in a Server 2012 environment. Client was very worried as it was holding up a project and stopping the server from going into production. Spent 2hrs remoted in to his server and we resolved it. Very happy man!

Soldato
I wish Microsoft took more pride in their consumer and small business issues. Been burned by the whole WP10 phone and Band issue, and still can't get sharepoint to stay synced for more than a week.

Soldato
So had a few interesting weeks with the company buyout we're trying to agree on.

We've made our offer which was almost accepted but the MD wants to stay on for a further two years. The issue is he adds no value to the business so effectively we would be paying him X + 2 years salary for the company rather than just what his shares are worth.

We have another meeting next week where the gloves are coming off and some hard truths will be told.

Back
Top Bottom