This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Got informed today I was unsuccessful.

I’m more cheesed off that they said I needed more time to develop in the company but couldn’t actually give me anything specific.

I also know that the hiring manager (who got promoted to ultimate boss mid way through the process) referred a candidate, so potentially a case of hiring his mate.

He said they wanted to recruit outside the UK and diversify and that I “wasn’t to know” even though the job was clearly advertised in all countries, which seems illegal and discriminatory :confused:

It’s the first time I’ve ever been unsuccessful internally so I don’t think I’ll be hanging around to find out what the new team looks like. Seeing someone in the role will just grate on me.

To the internet and job searching!

I call BS.

Again a case of who you know not what you know.

Soldato
I also know that the hiring manager (who got promoted to ultimate boss mid way through the process) referred a candidate, so potentially a case of hiring his mate.
He said they wanted to recruit outside the UK and diversify and that I “wasn’t to know” even though the job was clearly advertised in all countries, which seems illegal and discriminatory :confused:

So drafting is common, hiring people you've worked with - the same as the place I've just left. Always happens when a new senior person comes in, wants to solve the problems but doesn't have the time or desire to work with the people in the group - create new roles, hire your mates you know/confident. Same happens internally - the politics is that people will promote people they either they know and have a relationship with have respect for professionally to get the job done. The latter becomes the former..

Typically 3-6 months after the change of 'boss' there are structural changes. Always happens, and if the writing is on the wall - move to a new wall..

Recruiting location outside of the UK is not discrimination. The job req should be backed by a position code in the physical org charge headcount - so it should be very obvious that it's fulfilment is in specific non-UK countries and under the headcount of that country.

Recruiting or your manager qualifying candidates based on gender or race etc is discrimination. Then you can go and whack them around the chops with a tribunal as you leave the company..

It sounds to me like the former, and the delays sound like the board are refocusing where they wish to hire staff moving forward. Perhaps moving positions into the EU for better market/skills access or elsewhere for cost/skills.

Unfortunately although hiring of most people is has a "fair" process according to HR, people with enough political muscle will simply say "this is the person I need to fulfil the objectives so make it happen". You can bet that his mate has a tidy package to "make it attractive" too..

Man of Honour
I've also got a different interview scheduled for Tuesday, this is for a big American cyber security company, (Principal network eng role) theres a lot more money on the table (slightly higher basic + bonus + shares) and it would be more "challeging" but it's going to involve a few more unsocial hours, as most of the networks team is west coast. I've done this before - and it often involves starting very late (midday) but being around to be on calls at 9pm, and it annoyed me last time.. So i'm not sure whether to go through with it.
It works for some but not others. I deal with engineering (our BUs) quite a lot and a lost of them are west coast, it's frustrating for me and I couldn't do that on a permanent basis.

Soldato
It works for some but not others. I deal with engineering (our BUs) quite a lot and a lost of them are west coast, it's frustrating for me and I couldn't do that on a permanent basis.

Yeah, when I was dealing with an entire department which was west coast based, whilst it was a bit of a drag being around till late all the time - they were really sympathetic and let me take loads of extra days off, and work when I pleased basically..I also got lots of free trips to LA, which was nice! The team I was in, was actually awesome and that helped a lot.

Man of Honour
Yeah, when I was dealing with an entire department which was west coast based, whilst it was a bit of a drag being around till late all the time - they were really sympathetic and let me take loads of extra days off, and work when I pleased basically..I also got lots of free trips to LA, which was nice! The team I was in, was actually awesome and that helped a lot.
It works for some but not others. The most important thing is your health, physical and mental. To me it sounds like you’d be better off with the UK based job. Good luck whatever you do.

Man of Honour
I'm 2 weeks into my new role - head is spinning! I'd forgotten what it's like to start in a completely new company! Managed to meet a few people from my team though which has helped, and so far whilst there's some pressure it's been quite an exciting 2 weeks.

Man of Honour
I just needed a break for finalising my strategy for the piece of work I'm doing. I need some inspiration - I get that from a little bit of procrastination! More often than not I get the best ideas just before going to bed, or in the middle of the night.

Soldato
OP
I'm 2 weeks into my new role - head is spinning! I'd forgotten what it's like to start in a completely new company! Managed to meet a few people from my team though which has helped, and so far whilst there's some pressure it's been quite an exciting 2 weeks.
Hope it's going well mate?

I need some inspiration - I get that from a little bit of procrastination! More often than not I get the best ideas just before going to bed, or in the middle of the night.
I get mine randomly, but it's definitely always when I'm not sat doing it. If I remove myself, whether it's having a cycle, out for beers and talking through it with people etc. I find it's that whole "can't see the wood through the trees" affair.

Man of Honour
I often get those while I'm taking a shower. I call them my shower epiphanies. :D
I find lying in the bath is great for epiphanies. It's happened too often to be a coincidence, like there will be some problem I've be wrestling with for a while and just soaking for 20-30mins thinking things through often gives me a new direction to go in. Now that I predominantly work from home I'm seriously considering taking a bath on lunch breaks (when long enough) to help boost performance. I also tend to 'rehearse' a lot of future conversations that way, going through the various potential counter-arguments etc.

I guess it's something to do with mental state and relaxation, different people will have different ways to relax that perhaps frees up mental capacity or makes us think about things in a different way.

Soldato
OP
I guess it's something to do with mental state and relaxation, different people will have different ways to relax that perhaps frees up mental capacity or makes us think about things in a different way.
Yea, I totally get that and a bath would certainly not be mine. I am weird. I can't do baths. I find them suffocating and they give me panic attacks :cry::cry::cry:

Man of Honour
I often get those while I'm taking a shower. I call them my shower epiphanies. :D

Actually yes showers are good for that too. I find I need to really distract myself and be away from trying to do the work I'm doing and just not think about it, but somehow I get inspiration despite not proactively thinking about it. The mind is weird .

The other way that triggers inspiration is talking to colleagues about what I'm doing, and then they sort of echo back what you said with a different lens and that also seems to trigger some neurons! :D

Hope it's going well mate?

I get mine randomly, but it's definitely always when I'm not sat doing it. If I remove myself, whether it's having a cycle, out for beers and talking through it with people etc. I find it's that whole "can't see the wood through the trees" affair.

So far so good. Getting stuck in and knocking on all the doors (figuratively) and exploiting my network and just going out there and getting involved to try and learn as I go. I mean I know what I'm there to do, but it's just understanding how to do it in the new environment!

Annoyingly my boss has the same first name as me so we've come up with a rule so that people know who we're expecting to do something!

Soldato
The shower thing is often a reduction in distraction (ie by massive pink noise, I mean constant noise) due to both the sound of the water and the sensory impact of the shower itself. Couple that with the natural training that life is put on hold in the shower means clarity of thought and some great ideas.

Had a small break in the applications to sort out the garden. I'll start talking to people on the network - a mate of a mate didn't really come back with much after chatting with him.

Soldato
I think I've had a negative response record - only taken them 4 months to send an automated email. Closing the bin and informing those within it..

Man of Honour
What do you guys use to log your day to day conversations / activities?

I keep notes on one note (we're in the O365 ecosystem, use teams/sharepoint etc...)

However it's more for my own stuff that I'm doing so I can remind myself who I spoke to, what about, and when. So I can work out what needs to be chased up, and keep track of the work I'm doing.

I don't really get on with trello etc... but happy to give that a bash if you guys have found similar useful.

I'm spinning a lot of plateS (I have done for 20+ years at work) and never really found something that really works or integrates well.

Soldato

I keep notes on one note (we're in the O365 ecosystem, use teams/sharepoint etc...)

However it's more for my own stuff that I'm doing so I can remind myself who I spoke to, what about, and when. So I can work out what needs to be chased up, and keep track of the work I'm doing.

I don't really get on with trello etc... but happy to give that a bash if you guys have found similar useful.

I'm spinning a lot of plateS (I have done for 20+ years at work) and never really found something that really works or integrates well.
I use One Note too. I used to use a To Do pad but discovered One Note and use it for everything now. It's great on mobile devices too.

Man of Honour
I use One Note too. I used to use a To Do pad but discovered One Note and use it for everything now. It's great on mobile devices too.

Yeah I'm getting used to it, and I like that it syncs across devices. We have a BOYD policy (as well as being issued with devices if we want to) so I can actually keep track of ideas all the time.

I just need to be a bit more regimented in my structure of my notebook.

I know I've sort of answered my own question, but as ever, always keen to hear what others are doing too.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
After many weeks I’ve finally got all the details of the proposed package from the place who have offered me a role.

Might have to start a separate thread rather than clog this one up as an very stuck as to what to do.

I didn’t actively look for a role, was approached by a headhunter for a competitor, which after a couple of chats turned into an offer.

Lots of factors at play, heads a mess with it, and don’t like letting anyone down!

Man of Honour
Annual review done - €8500 salary uplift finalised from my discussion with the boss the other week, which I'm happy with, and some other small performance related incentives to go along with it, which was just an idea at the time but has now been fleshed out a bit more.

My MD knows I could earn more elsewhere, and can't quite compete with those salaries - but from my side I am afforded many intangible benefits here that I would be very unlikely to get elsewhere, so I think it's a fair arrangement we have.

For any hiring managers; have you experienced a drop in commitment from candidates? Just recently we've had a run of candidates either accept positions and then ghost us, receive contracts and not sign them, or accept positions and then U turn shortly afterwards for a better offer.
I must stress that these are all remote IT positions in a very competitive niche industry, but it just seems people are less invested in committing to things at the moment.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

We record stuff like that in Salesforce as activities (Tasks or Events)
I use Trello and Jira, but more from a project management/technical job build perspective.

If you use 365, Teams has a feature (is it called planner? Can't remember) that you can use in a similar way to Trello.

If you set up Trello with 4 swim lanes (To do, Doing, Done, Escalate) then it should be manageable if you stay on top of it.

Most of the time if I'm honest I just use a notepad and paper!

Back
Top Bottom