1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Chinese coronavirus, could it be a threat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Malevolence, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Agamemnon

Associate

So do I need to renew my antivirus or should I risk going without?

2. hardkore

Mobster

You decide...

3. Puzzled

Soldato

That looks like covered market stalls, cant see any people

4. MookJong

Sgarrista

I think you're more likely to find a cabbage or a pak choi.

5. Azza

Caporegime

One of the big problems with this situation is.

1. You can't believe what the Chinese government says.
    2. You can't believe 90% of what appears on Twitter

I've decided that's clearly an indoor market and those are table stalls with sheets over them.

I've also decided that it's part of a set of photos posted on Facebook by Natthawut Iamnet as reported by Thai news outlet Matichon - https://www.matichon.co.th/news-monitor/news_1918174

6. Puzzled

Soldato

Very true
    I think that whole Harry Chen PHD Twitter feed needs to be looked at with a sceptical eye tbh.

7. StriderX

Capodecina

Really just a photo describing how empty it is, someone has gone and spun it into the stratosphere, likely just for attention, but maybe also an agenda.

8. nkata

Soldato

In response to the thread title, Porton Down is busy weaponising it finding a suitable vaccine as we speak. ;),

9. deaglecat

Hitman

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  10. nkata

Soldato

I admit to being a bit flippant in best GD form.

11. dowie

Caporegime

While that guy has posted some worrying clips of random people and medical staff collapsing etc... I think he’s getting a bit carried away with that one!

12. Werewolf

Commissario

There is a difference between normal road building,which has a long planning process and no massive urge for speed (juggling resources with loads of other projects), or repairs (same again usually no urgency and a wish to try and avoid undue delays to traffic), and something that is given national priority status and absolutely needed to speed up rescue/repair efforts.

IIRC they gave that one road priority over pretty much every other road repair in the region as it was the main link and only one capable of taking the traffic (both weight and numbers) and not needing repairs over a lot larger area.

It was impressive, but not something that couldn't be done elsewhere if the circumstances required it, as most countries can do things very fast if they have to pull out the stops, but normally it's simply not efficient or safe to work that fast.

13. dowie

Caporegime

Indeed, likewise re the “hospital” - other countries could put up a bunch of pre-fab buildings in a short period of time too... though tbh... I remember my primary school had some individual classrooms on small stilts that were basically “temporary” pre-fab buildings. Plenty of housing was built this way after the war too.

dunno why they haven’t just got the military setting up a tented camp already?

As a temporary facility for isolating and housing infected patients then that would be much quicker. British troops had them in Iraq along with the corrimec housing, they’re modular with connecting tunnels etc...

14. thenewoc

Soldato

It's forecast to be -7c tonight so wouldn't think that would be much fun in a tent.

15. dowie

Caporegime

Nah its about +5 at the moment over there, at night.

Just heat the tents... I mean these things are insulated and can be air conditioned and brought down to like 20 in the middle of a desert when the outside temp is 40 degrees and you’re worried about it being a bit cold?

16. thenewoc

Soldato

Ah yeah I was picking up the forecast for Beijing.

17. Minusorange

Mobster

Might be worth watching this guy, he seems worried about this and given his credentials it's quite worrying

18. Puzzled

Soldato

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/24/uk-coronavirus-checks-clear-14-people-china

It's not confirmed yet but it would be a worrying infection rate.

19. Emlyn_Dewar

Capodecina

Can't see the Twitter links as not on VPN just now, but that last link "posted online" looks like trash? "We estimate" is a great way to start anything.
    The media are desperate for this to be bad, 24hr news is bad enough, and we need to stamp out the 'Andrew is a nonce' story. Panic is also a great way to get new "followers".
    Perhaps just wait and see, rather than believe fabrication.
    Right now numbers shown here are 1408 confirmed, 2032 possible with 39 dead which is down from 41 earlier... I can't read Chinese so God knows what's going on with that number.
    I presume all of the numbers will go up a good amount overnight.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  20. mmj_uk

Capodecina

The Chinese government probably just released it themselves so that they can genocide their 'problematic' Uyghur population without anyone getting suspicious about millions dead, it's cheaper than holding them in concentration camps and trying to "re-educate" them.