1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Chinese coronavirus, could it be a threat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Malevolence, Jan 19, 2020.

1. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

No you haven't read most of those articles - all you are doing is potentially panicking people. All the statements were backed up. Plus China has poor healthcare:

http://thepatientfactor.com/canadia...zations-ranking-of-the-worlds-health-systems/

144 in the world. The USA is ranked 37. Now if this happened in the US or UK,what would have happened?

Plus are you worrying about the 80000 people who died in the US in 2018,of influenza type illnesses,with similar symptoms?? No you are not since they were not widely reported here.

I didn't post that metric,someone else did.

I bet if the media wasn't shouting about this,most wouldn't care as much.

Edit!!

Also,if you are that worried,then instead of arguing with me,its better you quickly relocate to somewhere remote.....and dowie too.

Every other person who is trying to stand back and not panick in this thread,is ignored. A few others have given up. Me too,have fun.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. 413x

Capodecina

I wouldn't worry about it. It'll be here. Have to just hope the figures aren't too different to normal flu.
    I wouldn't trust the figures from China. Its when the western countries start producing figures we'll have some sense of the truth.

If 2000 people have it now, we'd have to wait 21 days to get the death rate for that 2000.

Problem with the figures is I bet people are saying 50/2000 but that's far from the truth.

Let's wait and see what happens in next week in the west

3. Mr Joshua

Mobster

God almighty, those ******* are going to kill us all.

4. dowie

Caporegime

I'm not really sure what your point is here but you're completely ignoring the point you're replying to - you've yet again replied to say that flu is widespread??? That was something already acknowledged.

What you fail to acknowledge though is that this is rather different to flu, the deaths from something like this, if it were to spread globally could be huge.

Repeatedly coming back to highlight that flu kills lots of people and is widespread just misses the point.

Just to be clear, I'm already aware that flu kills lots of people!

5. Jokester

Don

Indeed, the experts are saying by the end of next week they’ll know how serious it is as the confirmed infected either recover or die.

Anyway, I can see the revisionism already, HIV - not that bad, people only die from the complications of it :o

It does? Oh wait I already knew that.

Spanish flu was about twice as deadly as usual strains of flu, but was particularly lethal due to international travel at the time spreading it all over the place. This outbreak is currently something like twice as lethal again according to the early Chinese figures, though all expectations are that it will end up a bit lower. End of next week will be interesting, especially if we start seeing it spread outside China.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  6. dowie

Caporegime

Yup, thats the thing on one hand there are reports of say bodies of people in funeral parlours with cause of death "pneumonia" etc.. that haven't been tested/haven't been counted as part of this. On the other hand there are likely also various people who've had the virus, stayed at home and survived... and so not counted in official figures.

People trying to dismiss the risks with this sort of thing by coming out with arguments about flu kills X amount etc.. are just being rather silly.

Something like this can well turn into some fat tail event that kills millions. It might not, we might have several of these scares etc.. but given the way our world is connected and how quickly healthcare resources can be overwhelmed as we've already seen in a city of 11 million - hospitals there already can't cope with a few thousand officials counted cases and only a few dozen deaths officially counted deaths... yet the impact has been to lock down a city with the population of London and further restrict travel in other areas for a population equivalent to the whole of the UK. It can easily get worse over the next couple of weeks and the healthcare system in that city is already at breaking point... sure they've got a new 1000 bed hospital but if this isn't contained then that could just as easily fill up and be overwhelmed too.

Compering it to global flu deaths completely misses the point.

7. RDM

Capodecina

I liked the bit at the start when the guy started talking without turning his microphone on...

Other than that, it seems to be just two guys chatting and not really providing any evidence. Does it get better? I gave up after 20 minutes.

8. dowie

Caporegime

Anticipating that this could be a disaster would be the prudent thing to do tbh... It's totally naive to think otherwise.

Makes little difference to me if I have a few extra cans, bags of pasta etc.. in my cupboards etc.. it's minimal cost and I'll use it up over time regardless.

Makes no difference if this event and/or the next few dozen turn out to be contained etc..

It is still sensible to be prepared for something like this both individually and for governments to wake up and just shut down flights from China. I mean why take the risk? For the sake of minimal cost the if it does turn into some disaster then....

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  9. Emlyn_Dewar

Capodecina

Shut down flights? :'D
    Sod all those returning tourists, or people on business I guess?
    Doomsday preppers, always desperate for countries to share their own desire to curl up into a ball, at any sign of trouble.

Numbers we see here are all just slowly climbing (the 'recovered' one, less so).
    Like another post mentioned, it'll be another week before we see what the death rate is really like.
    Strangely, people seemed more concerned with Kobe's death, than a virus epidemic today...

I've not watched anything on YouTube for this, bit I imagine it'd be an absolutely great way to get subs. Talk rubbish and spread panic. It's what people love.

10. Jokester

Don

Todays numbers:-
    Cases - 2744
    Released from hospital - 51
    Critical - 461
    Deaths - 80

11. robfosters

Caporegime

Those numbers are quite scary. 80 dead and 461 critical from 2744 cases is awful. Seems a hell of a lot more dangerous than flu to me.

12. RoboCod

Capodecina

You sound rather defensive.

13. skookum

Associate

We also don't try to contain Flu like this. You don't see new hospitals being built and cities on lockdown. I keep reading how flu kills more people.

Something doesn't feel right about this.

Maybe most of us will be walkers in a few weeks.

14. wolfie138

Mobster

coronavirus = Captain Trips.

The end days are here. monsters are coming.

15. Greebo

Caporegime

If it was just "normal flu" then I doubt it would be getting any press coverage, as many people have stated, flu kills hundreds of thousands every year in the world.

However, I can see why people get worried when you have the authorities using bio suits and the totally cut off a major city by digging up all the roads and basically quarantine millions of people. If the risk was just to the weak and elderly then its no worse than a normal year with bad flu.

When was the last time you saw an entire city quarantined just due to "flu"?

This, along with reports coming out of China (which may or may not be true) seems to show that many more people are affected than China is letting on and the fatality rate is much much higher than stated.

16. skookum

Associate

Think I will get my good hiking boots out.

If I have to walk the Earth in Limbo for eternity I want to have sensible footwear on.

17. 413x

Capodecina

This sounds worse than anything else The critical figure is rather concerning.

But the main this thing is still the figures and info from the west

18. 200sols

Mobster

Common sense?

Yep your a nutjob as I thought.

They did the same thing with SARS, yet we are still around. Apocalypse didnt come.

19. Greebo

Caporegime

Did they? I seem to think they didnt do anything like this for over a year after SARS first came out?

20. 200sols

Mobster

So they learned from past experiences and put in measures earlier to stop it spreading? Again this only seems like the sensible thing to do.